Need advice for dog left alone all day

Description of your first forum.

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Jeff » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00



I currently live alone in a house with my Toy Fox Terrier,
who is about two years old and is sweet as can be. I've
had her since July. (If you are interested you can see her
picture at the web address below.) Anyway, my dog is left
alone in a midsize room with a radio, a couple of balls, a
stuffed animal, and her food and water, as well as a blanket to
sleep on. She can easily go into the ba***t, which is lined
with newspaper if she needs to go, which she does as needed.
Anyway, I limit her to these two rooms, as opposed to a cage,
as some suggested, because she can look out the window, run
around a little, eat, play, etc. Despite what some say, I just don't
like the idea of caging her and find this system as a wonderful
alternative. There was a time where I basically let her roam
through the whole house, where she would leave little treasures
from time to time. I've been doing this new system for about two
months. Everything was fine for a while, she never urinates or
poops anywhere inappropriate anymore, and still doesn't, this isn't
my problem. Over the last two weeks she has been getting real upset
when I leave -- barking and making a fuss, which is unusual for
her (she rarely barks), and didn't happen for a while. I understand
she is lonely, but what can I do. Is there any suggestions on what
else I can do to keep her more entertained during the day?
A second dog is not out of the question, but I'm not crazy about
the idea. What else can I do for this dog to improve her life while
I'm away from 8:30 to 5:30 M-F. Note she spends almost all her
other time with me, including sleeping in my bed with me overnight
and traveling with me on errands when I go out.
Please email me with any suggestions and thank you very much.
This is my first dog and I'm still learning.  

--

Visit my home page at: http://www.moonsgarden.com/~turbittj/index.htm

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Janyne M. Kize » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Was she a puppy when you got her?  If so, she may just be acting out like
human ***agers do!

Quote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:52:55 -0500

> Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.breeds, rec.pets.dogs, rec.pets.dogs.behavior,
>     rec.pets.dogs.health, rec.pets.dogs.activities
> Subject: Need advice for dog left alone all day

> I currently live alone in a house with my Toy Fox Terrier,
> who is about two years old and is sweet as can be. I've
> had her since July. (If you are interested you can see her
> picture at the web address below.) Anyway, my dog is left
> alone in a midsize room with a radio, a couple of balls, a
> stuffed animal, and her food and water, as well as a blanket to
> sleep on. She can easily go into the ba***t, which is lined
> with newspaper if she needs to go, which she does as needed.
> Anyway, I limit her to these two rooms, as opposed to a cage,
> as some suggested, because she can look out the window, run
> around a little, eat, play, etc. Despite what some say, I just don't
> like the idea of caging her and find this system as a wonderful
> alternative. There was a time where I basically let her roam
> through the whole house, where she would leave little treasures
> from time to time. I've been doing this new system for about two
> months. Everything was fine for a while, she never urinates or
> poops anywhere inappropriate anymore, and still doesn't, this isn't
> my problem. Over the last two weeks she has been getting real upset
> when I leave -- barking and making a fuss, which is unusual for
> her (she rarely barks), and didn't happen for a while. I understand
> she is lonely, but what can I do. Is there any suggestions on what
> else I can do to keep her more entertained during the day?
> A second dog is not out of the question, but I'm not crazy about
> the idea. What else can I do for this dog to improve her life while
> I'm away from 8:30 to 5:30 M-F. Note she spends almost all her
> other time with me, including sleeping in my bed with me overnight
> and traveling with me on errands when I go out.
> Please email me with any suggestions and thank you very much.
> This is my first dog and I'm still learning.  

> --

> Visit my home page at: http://www.moonsgarden.com/~turbittj/index.htm

Janyne

LABMED Committee Member
=======================================================================
 Janyne Kizer, Certified NetWare Engineer                     Apex, NC

 Penny - Rescue Lab                     http://www.moonsgarden.com/~jmkizer/
=======================================================================

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Wolfpack » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00


You might try taking her for a long walk in the morning before you leave
for the 9-5.  I know this is hard and means a real sacrifice,  I have been
doing this for 16 years through 3 dogs, and they all seemed to do well
being at home themselves.  Some days walking my dogs is the last thing I
want to do, but it has to be done everyday regardless of personal wishes,
or priorities.  If at all possible you might hire a dog service to come
and let her out during the afternoon.  Good Luck

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by kitty.. » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Dear Jeff:

I doubt this will completley cure the problem, but I read in the
Doctor's Book of Home Remedies for Pets, that if they get upset when you
leave you could give them a "dirty" tshirt. It smells like you and will
pacify him.

Also when we leave our dog alone, which isn't often, we are sure to
leave the radio or tv on, silence can be very lonely.  

If all else fails, would you consider getting another dog to keep him
company??

Please let me know what happens.

Kathy

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by miss mar » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00


I had the same problem with Savannah, my chihuahua...
She hated being left in my room all day while I went to work and made
just as much of a fuss until i started leaving the radio on for
her...it helped immensely. Sometimes, I'll even leave my computer on
for her so she can look at the pretty screen savers I have. In fact,
the radio has helped so much, that if I leave and have my mom watch
her while I'm gone, she'll just go into our room and play with her
toys or sleep while she waits for me to come home.
Give the radio thing a try! It really does help!
Margo (and Savannah)

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Andy Groom » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I had the same problem with Savannah, my chihuahua...
> She hated being left in my room all day while I went to work and made
> just as much of a fuss until i started leaving the radio on for
> her...it helped immensely. Sometimes, I'll even leave my computer on
> for her so she can look at the pretty screen savers I have. In fact,
> the radio has helped so much, that if I leave and have my mom watch
> her while I'm gone, she'll just go into our room and play with her
> toys or sleep while she waits for me to come home.
> Give the radio thing a try! It really does help!
> Margo (and Savannah)

My***atiel prefers the cartoon channel and is usually irritated
if I leave on the news channel since it is followed by too much
day time trash :-).  This seems to keep the puppy happy as well.

Andy (and poupon, bodhi, and ricochet)
--
Andy Groome                                ANS CO+RE Systems, Inc.

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Petie Dura » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I currently live alone in a house with my Toy Fox Terrier,
> who is about two years old and is sweet as can be. I've
> had her since July. (If you are interested you can see her
> picture at the web address below.) Anyway, my dog is left
> alone in a midsize room with a radio, a couple of balls, a

This is only a temperary suggestion but it might help ease her over this
period and deal with being alone. There is a *** toy called a Tuffy
made by Kong that is hollow, fill it with peanut butter, dried liver or
anything she likes and she will spend alot of time getting it out and
might forget your gone. At least it will make parting easier :-)
Petie
 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by kim » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:



<snip>

Quote:
> This is only a temperary suggestion but it might help ease her over this
> period and deal with being alone. There is a *** toy called a Tuffy
> made by Kong that is hollow, fill it with peanut butter, dried liver or
> anything she likes and she will spend alot of time getting it out and
> might forget your gone. At least it will make parting easier :-)
> Petie

=================================================

Just a word about the Kong toy by Tuffy. It is a truly wonderful toy.
It's rather like a baby's pacifier :) It does come in different sizes (4
I think...) for different sized dogs. My vet was who recommended it to
me for my dog.

Peanut butter in it is great (mine would spend nearly an hour trying to
"clean it out" :) I rather liked that the best because it doesn't fall
out :)

Kim

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by scarle.. » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00




I was just going to suggest a Kong toy with a treat inside, but
someone beat me to it!  So, instead, let me second that idea!  You can
also put a carrot or some other small treat inside a sterilized bone.
I do this for my weimaraner whenever he seems bored or when I am busy
with something and need him out of my hair for a moment.  It keeps his
attention while he works to get the treat out.  As the other reader
said, it isn't a long-term solution, but maybe this will give your dog
a little something new (and a little cheering up) as you continue to
work out a more lasting solution.

Good luck!   :)

Kim


http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/5539/index.html
"The Road To Nowhere"

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by scarle.. » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00




I was just going to suggest a Kong toy with a treat inside, but
someone beat me to it!  So, instead, let me second that idea!  You can
also put a carrot or some other small treat inside a sterilized bone.
I do this for my weimaraner whenever he seems bored or when I am busy
with something and need him out of my hair for a moment.  It keeps his
attention while he works to get the treat out.  As the other reader
said, it isn't a long-term solution, but maybe this will give your dog
a little something new (and a little cheering up) as you continue to
work out a more lasting solution.

Good luck!   :)

Kim


http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/5539/index.html
"The Road To Nowhere"

 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Pat Thompson-Duma » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I was just going to suggest a Kong toy with a treat inside, but
> someone beat me to it!  So, instead, let me second that idea!  You can
> also put a carrot or some other small treat inside a sterilized bone.
> I do this for my weimaraner whenever he seems bored or when I am busy
> with something and need him out of my hair for a moment.  It keeps his
> attention while he works to get the treat out.  As the other reader
> said, it isn't a long-term solution, but maybe this will give your dog
> a little something new (and a little cheering up) as you continue to
> work out a more lasting solution.

        These are such wonderful solutions!  Thanks!  Even though I
        wasn't the original poster, these will be very helpful with
        my own poor pup left at home.

        Pat
--
Patricia Thompson-Dumas            |    "Just because you're paranoid,
Mountain Lake Public Broadcasting  |   doesn't mean there really ISN'T


 
 
 

Need advice for dog left alone all day

Post by Gecko3 » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Have one of the various pet sitting servicews in your area stop by once in
awhile during your work week to break up the alone time.