Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Description of your first forum.

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Vicky Shul » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00



This was posted in our local newspaper:

*****************************************************************
COMPLETE KENNEL DISPERSAL Rolla-Edgar Springs, Missouri Area

Owner's note: Due to a recent promotion and my daughters being involved
in school activities, I will sell the following dogs as I don't have the
time I need to spend with my dogs.  Located: From Rolla, Missouri,
take Hwy. 63 South 15 miles to the sale site on the right of Hwy.
Watch for auction signs.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26th, 1996, 10:30 AM  173 *** DOGS AND PUPPIES

BREEDS:
Dachshund       43 Females        Most have Ch. Pedigrees: most under 4
                16 Males          years old Pups are 2-6 months old.
                19 Female Pups    Coats: Smooth, long & wire.  Markings:
                18 Male Pups      Dappled Piebald; Colors:red, black&tan,
                                  Many are bred or w/pups by sale date.

Chihuahua       12 Females        Three Females are bred, 1 w/pups; 3of
                 6 Males          the Males are Ch. all proven.   Most
                                  Females will be bred by sale date from
                                  Champion Lines.

Yorkie          7 Females         Several will be bred by sale date.  All
                5 Males           Males are proven.  Excellent Pedigree.

Owners Note:  Most of these dogs are like family & most of them we raised
from pups.  I know that they will be a great asset to anyone's kennel.  Feel
free to contact me about any of my dogs listed.  Kim.

Auctioneer's Note:  I Will Also Be Selling the Following Dogs

                        2 Female *** Dalmations
                        1 Female *** Schnauzer
                        1 Male *** Schnauzer
                        1 Female *** Pomeranian
                        1 Male *** Bull Terrier, No Papers
Some of the above dogs will have pups 10 weeks old but will sell with their
mothers.  All of the above dogs with the exception of two have been micro-
chipped.  Most of the above dogs have Champions in the background.  Some of
the most outstanding colors are offered in this auction.  Most of the above
dogs are four years old and younger.  If you are looking for bred dogs and
dogs with pups that are of outstanding quality, you must attend this auction.
Jack.

SITE OF SALE: DACHSHUND COUNTRY KENNELS  Kim Wallen-(573)-435-6788 evenings.

THESE OUTSTANDING DOGS ARE CONSIGNED TO THIS AUCTION:  
Complete Dispersal of Two Breeds:

Owners note: As we have built a new kennel, but didn't make it large enough,
we have to sell the following two breeds of dogs which we have raised from
pups here on our farm.

LHASA APSO        17 Females           All '95' except one, several are bred
                   6 Males             Young, outstanding males
PUPS               2 Females           Approx. 6 mos. old
                   2 Males            
PUPS               1 Female            Approx. 3 1/2 mos. old

WEST HIGHLAND      7 Females           Some bred
WHITE TERRIERS     3 Females           5 Mos. old
                   3 Males             Proven

The above are from REDBUD KENNELS Bud and Marie Madison 417-847-4691

JACK HUTCHINSON AUCTION SERVICE, INC.  573-378-5555 or res. 573-378-5680
P.O. BOX 71
Versailles, Missouri  65084    

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by E.Boucher&G.Berr » Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:00:00


one can hope these dogs/pups are being sold this way because the kennel
license has been lifted, but that would be another fantasy.
being sold with pups and pregnant.... and to whom?.....anyone want to
guess???

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Nancy E. Holme » Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

>one can hope these dogs/pups are being sold this way because the
kennel
>license has been lifted, but that would be another fantasy.
>being sold with pups and pregnant.... and to whom?.....anyone want to
>guess???

Typically the other mills are there and while THESE dogs MAY have been
well cared for most likely the next stop for them will be a lower
quality mill and a less healthy life. (A transition from chain link
runs to chicken wire or hardware cloth for example)
The auction I had eye witness reports on was held in freezing weather
with dogs whelping as the auction proceded outdoors. Dogs were breeding
in the pre auction holding pens (often across breeds for their next
litter of 'registered' pups), shivering pregnant chihuahua's were held
up by the tail so that buyers could get a good view. The several blind
and mutilated pekinese (that way from an attack thru their pens by a
large breed that had gotten loose) were extolled as 'nice quiet dogs'
due to their lack of vision and 'good breeders'. Some dogs were sold
WITHOUT their 3 week old pups! One 12 year old pregnant ShihTzu was the
subject of heavy bidding as she had produced 2 litters a year for 11
years! Her offspring were viewed as particularly valuable livestock as
coming from such a good producer!
 Many rescue teams were there and my breed was bought out including a
miller who approached the buyer and asked if she wanted the rest from
back home (happily she said yes) and we got the dogs and photos of the
hardware cloth above ground rabbit runs the dogs were being kept in...
:( The miller wanted to get rid of them as the pups died out in the
cold hutches too often. Other photos from that mill included the 10
breeding OES crammed into a 4 by 8 *** run next to the other big dog
runs that were similarly full :(
Wat about the laws you ask? MO just doesn't have many to protect
animals thats why the mills flourish there and what politician makes a
law against voters' income producing business? not too many will.
The auctions are awful the dogs conditions usually goes from bad to
worse and they go on ALL THE TIME! Each weekend the animal autions
offer breeding pairs of dogs along with the other livestock.
If I lived in MO the autioneers would BAN me from the sales!
Nancy
 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Cat » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00


I am glad that I do not live in MO as well. I think that a lot of
dogs that were being kept in hutches outside would simply
"disappear"...
This kind of behavior saddens and disgusts me. Too bad we can't
put these people in their own hutches for a week or three!
Cat

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Harv » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00



[description of horrific auction and mill conditions snipped]

Quote:
>The auctions are awful the dogs conditions usually goes from bad to
>worse and they go on ALL THE TIME! Each weekend the animal autions
>offer breeding pairs of dogs along with the other livestock.
>If I lived in MO the autioneers would BAN me from the sales!
>Nancy

Glad to hear the rescue groups are involved, but how do they afford it?

How much do dogs sell for at auction?

Do "research" buyers get dogs from auctions?

Does anyone know if such auctions take place in Canada, specifically
in Ontario?

Sickened, but curious,
Harvey

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Twzl & Sligo, Happy Togeth » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
>Owners Note:  Most of these dogs are like family & most of them we raised
>from pups.  I know that they will be a great asset to anyone's kennel.  Feel
>free to contact me about any of my dogs listed.  Kim.
>Owners note: As we have built a new kennel, but didn't make it large enough,
>we have to sell the following two breeds of dogs which we have raised from
>pups here on our farm.

I could have sworn that these places advertised on the Continental Kennel
CLub home page...and if this is so they are VERY MUCH aware of how to
advertise dogs and puppies and are pretty sophisticated. I wonder if they
are really going out of business or are just looking for an outlet for a
bunch of dogs.

Ann, Twzl & Sligo
--
********************************************
Anyone who is such a scaredy cccatt that they MAIl their flames to me
rather than posting them, will see them posted as a followup to the thread.

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Robin Nuttal » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> This was posted in our local newspaper:

> *****************************************************************
> COMPLETE KENNEL DISPERSAL Rolla-Edgar Springs, Missouri Area

> Owner's note: Due to a recent promotion and my daughters being involved

<snip info about dog auction>

As much as my heart hurts for these dogs, I must advise rescue people to
NOT go to this auction and buy. Why? Because it is my belief that many
of these mills have discovered the joys of free advertising on the
internet. Has anyone else noticed how these posts have suddenly
increased in this group? Do you really think that suddenly all the mills
in Missouri are going out of business? Or do you think that the millers
have discovered a new money source? I think the latter.

After all, if the rescue people come in, the mills get *much* more money
per dog than they would from other mill breeders. These people don't
care where the money comes from, just that they get it.

And where do they spend this money? It is my belief that many of these
so-called dispersals aren't real dispersals at all. I think these
millers are using funds from inflated prices given by rescue people to
start anew, either with younger dogs of the same breed, or with a new
more "popular" breed.

By all means, contact these people and offer to take dogs off their
hands for free. But please, please do not buy these dogs and by doing so
let the millers know that there is ever more profit in their cruel
trade. If you buy, you are ultimately responsible for the suffering of
ever more dogs.

--
Robin, Jasper and Dreamer

(my opinions are strictly my own!)

Doberman page:
http://www.hsc.missouri.edu/people/robin/

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Nancy E. Holme » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00



writes:

Quote:




Quote:

>[description of horrific auction and mill conditions snipped]

apologies for 'horrific'  stuff  the bad news is there's stuff I cannot
stand to type but got to learn anyway :(

Quote:

>>The auctions are awful the dogs conditions usually goes from bad to
>>worse and they go on ALL THE TIME! Each weekend the animal autions
>>offer breeding pairs of dogs along with the other livestock.
>>If I lived in MO the autioneers would BAN me from the sales!
>>Nancy

>Glad to hear the rescue groups are involved, but how do they afford

it?

Massive fund raising effort and we only did it twice for a breed thats
fairly rare

Quote:

>How much do dogs sell for at auction?

varies from $25-35 on up to thousands depending on how 'hot' a breed is
and how hard to get
recent ch in pedigrees ups the price as does background of high
production just like other livestock

Quote:

>Do "research" buyers get dogs from auctions?

yes and dogfighters and trainers of 'premises' dogs (unsocialized dogs
trained to attack any and all people) :(
Quote:

>Does anyone know if such auctions take place in Canada, specifically
>in Ontario?

not aware of any but you have your millers too so maybe depends on the
laws.
Quote:

>Sickened, but curious,
>Harvey

sorry to make you feel sick
Nancy
 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Nancy E. Holme » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Robin - evil <grin> lesson number 82
attend dog auction
note prices in catalog on EVERY dog
notify the IRS as most of these transactions are done in cash
this puts a real crimp in folks feelings about auctioning their dogs
off to make 'clear profit' money off of animals they no longer want
IRS will take anyonymous tips if you feel that way is best for you too

and yes they do go in and out of business in particular breeds or even
in species
lots of mills are going over to *** animals as there is big money in
them and using the revenues from the auction to set up in ***s - go
ahead buy a (examples) llama, emu or a hedgehog as a pet :(
the point of rescues going in at all was that you don't let folks know
who you are and buy at the dealer/miller price then take young healthy
breeders out of the system
My group had to get unknowns to front for us (bless them!!!) we got 12
breeding animals out all under 4 years most under 18 mo old. In a rarer
breed thats lots in a common breed there is no hope anyway and its just
a drop in the bucket.
the prices WERE driven sky high on CKCS in the auctions I know of most
closely but a known miller of my breed got them anyway and paid cash
$1500 seemed steep for mill dogs to me anyway
The same people let us get a breeding male of my breed -one we KNOW
they wanted- for only $250 others went for as little as $75-150 not bad
for ***es with 20 or more breeding cycles left :(
If my breed was a popular one I'd just audit the auctions and help
Uncle Sam get his due from it <g>  as it is some dents have been made
via rescue in the breeding stock avail for my breed
Nancy


Quote:

>As much as my heart hurts for these dogs, I must advise rescue people
to
>NOT go to this auction and buy. Why? Because it is my belief that many
>of these mills have discovered the joys of free advertising on the
>internet. Has anyone else noticed how these posts have suddenly
>increased in this group? Do you really think that suddenly all the
mills
>in Missouri are going out of business? Or do you think that the
millers
>have discovered a new money source? I think the latter.

>After all, if the rescue people come in, the mills get *much* more
money
>per dog than they would from other mill breeders. These people don't
>care where the money comes from, just that they get it.

>And where do they spend this money? It is my belief that many of these
>so-called dispersals aren't real dispersals at all. I think these
>millers are using funds from inflated prices given by rescue people to
>start anew, either with younger dogs of the same breed, or with a new
>more "popular" breed.

>By all means, contact these people and offer to take dogs off their
>hands for free. But please, please do not buy these dogs and by doing
so
>let the millers know that there is ever more profit in their cruel
>trade. If you buy, you are ultimately responsible for the suffering of
>ever more dogs.

>--
>Robin, Jasper and Dreamer

>(my opinions are strictly my own!)

>Doberman page:
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by LAMBENTK » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
>>> This was posted in our local newspaper:

*****************************************************************
COMPLETE KENNEL DISPERSAL <<

I understand you are as upset about this adverti***t as the rest of us -
so I hope you understand my suggestion is made in the best intent.

In the future . . . don't help these moron's out any more by posting their
names, address, etc.  For every good-hearted responsible pet owner on this
newsgroup - there is an unscrupulous person that will take advantage of
this situation and "buy themselfs more doggies to breed".  Ayup.

Let's not help them anymore!!!

Thanks!!

**************************************************************************
*****************************Sue Gilmore
Lambent Kuvasz Kennel
Abby, Ripley, Kirby, and Mona the Samoyed

"Did you ever stop to think . . . . and forget to start again???"
**************************************************************************
*****************************

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Ben Klei » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Hello,
        The enormity of this thing blows me away.. has anyone ever tried
to hold a protest at something like this?  The idea being to attract the
attention of the news media to show at least the local people what's
going
on.. after all, we're always wondering how to tell people that pet
stores
are puppy mill outlets..
                just an idea,  Ben

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Dianne Park » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
>Robin - evil <grin> lesson number 82
>attend dog auction
>note prices in catalog on EVERY dog
>notify the IRS as most of these transactions are done in cash
>this puts a real crimp in folks feelings about auctioning their dogs
>off to make 'clear profit' money off of animals they no longer want
>IRS will take anyonymous tips if you feel that way is best for you too

WONDERFUL IDEA!!!!  Hope lots of folks heed this advice!!!!

 - -
Dianne Parker

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Elizabeth B. Nai » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00



<quotes from typical MO dog auction announcement:>

Quote:
>>Owners Note:  Most of these dogs are like family & most of them we raised
>>from pups.  I know that they will be a great asset to anyone's kennel.  Feel
>>free to contact me about any of my dogs listed.  Kim.

>>Owners note: As we have built a new kennel, but didn't make it large enough,
>>we have to sell the following two breeds of dogs which we have raised from
>>pups here on our farm.

> I could have sworn that these places advertised on the Continental Kennel
> CLub home page...and if this is so they are VERY MUCH aware of how to
> advertise dogs and puppies and are pretty sophisticated. I wonder if they
> are really going out of business or are just looking for an outlet for a
> bunch of dogs.

You'll notice that nowhere do they state that they are going out of
business.  One is going to a smaller business, the other really
doesn't say much of anything except that she has 126 dogs who are
"like family".  Big family huh.  :-(

And if anyone has any doubts as to what potential buyers these dogs
are being advertised to, notice that their qualities as breeders are
mentioned (and some will be pregnant by auction time), with little
other information but breed.  Want to start a puppy mill?  Already
have a puppy mill, but your old breeding stock is fading fast and
besides, the market isn't so good for your breeds?  Step right up and
get some dawgs.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth B. Naime            *   Email may be forwarded and/or posted

CUR 70 / FUR 212              *       * Standard Disclaimers Apply*
------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by mc.. » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00


Hello Everyone,

In regards to the "puppy mill" and dog auction question, try this....

How about sitting down with pen and paper and writing to the AKC (address
below) about limiting the number of registrations of puppies a kennel or
owner can do in one years time. (I have written several times over the
years but have not ever received a response, yet still feel I must try).
Included of course, would be a requirement that the kennel/owner is
ACTIVELY showing the breed on a regular basis and must be subject to
inspection by representatives of the AKC. I think there are enough
judges/owners/trainers who would be willing to lend a hand if it meant a
shut-down of most mills.

I know policing is not a part of the AKC but maybe it is time for them to
shoulder SOME responsibility for the incredible number of flourishing
mills. A few years ago while working for an airline, I would pass through
St. Louis twice a week on the way to California.  Every time we went
through (every time!), cargo handlers would load many (20 to 30) crates
of puppies.  I think CA has since passed some kind of law against pet
stores selling puppies (?) but I always felt sick to my stomach. No one
who loves dogs would breed and ship so many....

I think some will balk at "quotas" set on the number of dogs but one must
give in order to receive and this would eventually benefit both breeders
and prospective dog owners. Without the AKC stamp of approval (papers)
these dogs would lose most of their value.....No ????

Mike
And yes, I am regretting this already....

American Kennel Club
51 Madison Avenue
New York NY 10010

 
 
 

Dog Auction In MO on 10/26

Post by Jana » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> Hello Everyone,

> In regards to the "puppy mill" and dog auction question, try this....

> How about sitting down with pen and paper and writing to the AKC (address
> below) about limiting the number of registrations of puppies a kennel or

owner can do in one years time.

  Being a national organization, it's hard to get the AKC to be in so
many places at once - you'd have better luck if you wrote to clubs or
breed referral organizations.  AKC gets their money however they can...

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to barter, adopt out or sell more than 36
dogs a month without a kenneling liscense.  In addition, the breed
referral network (PA kennel club) actually *checks up* on area breeders
before it refers them to people.  Wow, novel idea!  Course, PA still has
a lot of work to do, with all the wonderful puppy mills and such.  Papers
are a common denominator when it comes to the quality of puppies to some
folks, but those people shouldn't be owning dogs, anyway.