Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Description of your first forum.

Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Post by Mlkienho » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00



I have some shelter puppies who are absolutely infested with lice. The shelter
is only open a few days a week, so I can't always get in for lice shampoo/spray
in a timely fashion (and *many* puppies come in with lice, so this is a future
use question, too). A local vet said he could give them ivermectin shots to
kill the lice. Is this true? Okay for young pups (3-4 months)?

thank much -
Michelle Kienholz
Save Our Shelters, Westmoreland Chapter
http://westmoreland.petfinder.org

 
 
 

Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Post by Doge » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Flea shampoos and sprays will usually clear up lice infestations.  Ivermectin shots
may work but must be used with caution in mixed breed dogs (as most shelter dogs
are) because it could be fatal if they are part collie, sheltie, australian
shepherd or old english sheepdog.  I'd stick with the flea products if I were you.

Dogen

Quote:

> I have some shelter puppies who are absolutely infested with lice. The shelter
> is only open a few days a week, so I can't always get in for lice shampoo/spray
> in a timely fashion (and *many* puppies come in with lice, so this is a future
> use question, too). A local vet said he could give them ivermectin shots to
> kill the lice. Is this true? Okay for young pups (3-4 months)?

> thank much -
> Michelle Kienholz
> Save Our Shelters, Westmoreland Chapter
> http://westmoreland.petfinder.org

 
 
 

Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Post by shootingstar.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00


any flea type powder that says for fleas and lice that is approved for a
young dog of this age is ok.   what  i have seen used  because it can be
bought in a large  bottle is ROTONENE----hope this is the right
spelling.    it is bought at any feed store  or garden store and it will
tell you  i think on the bottle how to use for pups etc.   i purchased a
pup many  years ago and it had lice---much easier to get rid of then
fleas.   i just powdered  with the above product and they were gone.
they do not live long off the pup i remember the vet saying.  i am not a
vet and can only say what  all my friends  and myself have used..
please read the label  carefully and decide if you  would want to use
it. even have the vet look at it before you use it.  it may not be the
product  for you. --- why the shot? that is not necessary. depends
which product you can afford  but a powder in any case will work.  keep
out of eyes and nose area  when  putting on.  ( it will kill any ***
fleas on the dog at the time you use it)  any product should be used
with caution  as you know.
 
 
 

Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Post by Nancy Holmes or Nelson Ruffi » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00


keep some bottles of Scratchex Flea and Tick shampoo around - its
inexpensive and safe on pups and available even at many Walmart's and pet
supply stores and I have on occasion even seen it at the grocery store
injecting poisons in pups doesn't seem as safe to me as using something
topical that pretty much washes off
Nancy

Quote:
> I have some shelter puppies who are absolutely infested with lice. The
shelter
> is only open a few days a week, so I can't always get in for lice
shampoo/spray
> in a timely fashion (and *many* puppies come in with lice, so this is a
future
> use question, too). A local vet said he could give them ivermectin shots
to
> kill the lice. Is this true? Okay for young pups (3-4 months)?

> thank much -
> Michelle Kienholz
> Save Our Shelters, Westmoreland Chapter
> http://westmoreland.petfinder.org

 
 
 

Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Post by scott wees » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00


I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned but you should never assume
that a topical product is safer than an injectible one. There are many topical
treatments that are much more toxic than injectible ones.

Scott Weese, DVM


Quote:
> keep some bottles of Scratchex Flea and Tick shampoo around - its
> inexpensive and safe on pups and available even at many Walmart's and pet
> supply stores and I have on occasion even seen it at the grocery store
> injecting poisons in pups doesn't seem as safe to me as using something
> topical that pretty much washes off
> Nancy


> > I have some shelter puppies who are absolutely infested with lice. The
> shelter
> > is only open a few days a week, so I can't always get in for lice
> shampoo/spray
> > in a timely fashion (and *many* puppies come in with lice, so this is a
> future
> > use question, too). A local vet said he could give them ivermectin shots
> to
> > kill the lice. Is this true? Okay for young pups (3-4 months)?

> > thank much -
> > Michelle Kienholz
> > Save Our Shelters, Westmoreland Chapter
> > http://westmoreland.petfinder.org

 
 
 

Treating lice w/Ivermectin?

Post by Nancy Holmes or Nelson Ruffi » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00


its pyrethrin based and labeled as safe for puppies and kittens
IME anything thats considered safe for both pups and kittens is pretty safe
as those kittens are pretty sensitive
My understanding is of all the poisons commonly used out there the
pyrethrins are the safest.
I also know the Scratchex formula by Sulfodene happens to cure the eczema on
my hands at the same time it rids the animals of fleas and mites and ticks.
I'm not terribly trusting of the concept of poisoning the entire system of
the animal to get rid of a couple of topical vermin, but of course YMMV.
Nancy

Quote:
> I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned but you should never
assume
> that a topical product is safer than an injectible one. There are many
topical
> treatments that are much more toxic than injectible ones.

> Scott Weese, DVM


> > keep some bottles of Scratchex Flea and Tick shampoo around - its
> > inexpensive and safe on pups and available even at many Walmart's and
pet
> > supply stores and I have on occasion even seen it at the grocery store
> > injecting poisons in pups doesn't seem as safe to me as using something
> > topical that pretty much washes off
> > Nancy


> > > I have some shelter puppies who are absolutely infested with lice. The
> > shelter
> > > is only open a few days a week, so I can't always get in for lice
> > shampoo/spray
> > > in a timely fashion (and *many* puppies come in with lice, so this is
a
> > future
> > > use question, too). A local vet said he could give them ivermectin
shots
> > to
> > > kill the lice. Is this true? Okay for young pups (3-4 months)?

> > > thank much -
> > > Michelle Kienholz
> > > Save Our Shelters, Westmoreland Chapter
> > > http://westmoreland.petfinder.org