My mothers dog, a 2 year old female Airedale suddenly came down with what her
vet called Hemolytic Anemia and after a few days she had it put to sleep.
on Saturday (and through its life) showed no signs of illness. On Saturday the
dog, she says, was just fine, tail up and happy. The next day the dog was too
The vet was puzzled and asked it the dog had eaten anything unusual. (like
would have explained the effects. My mother could find nothing around the dogs
outside where she ties the dog on a long line so it can run.
After much care, transfusions, and medication the dog showed no improvement and
put to sleep by her vet. (on Thursday evening) The vet told her that the
destroying the red *** cells faster than the dog could re-produce them.
We are all very sad by this.
My questions to the net:
Is it common for this problem (severe anemia) to show up so suddenly?
What could have caused it?
Is it hereditary?
Was the dog poisoned by a neighbor?