Great pyrennes won't leave his tail alone

Description of your first forum.

Great pyrennes won't leave his tail alone

Post by His Serene Highness P » Wed, 15 May 2002 18:12:03



My great pyrennes, Billy, has taken to biting at the base of his tailk (on
top where tail meets hind quarter). He's developed a sore there. Last year
the vet shaved him on his arm and developed a condition there that was
somewhat similar. He kept***ing at that wound. It stayed clean, but it
didn't heal or grow fur until I put gauze on and lots of tape so he couldn't
get at it.

Dogs will sometimes go overboard with the***ing the wounds thing. A vet
told me he'd seen cases of dogs***ing for long periods til eventually the
skin was gone and the tendons and etc. were exposed. I think Billy might be
this kind of dog. Then again, he might have a skin problem or something I
don't know about.

We're pretty much flea free.

I have used the slicker on him. Maybe that irritated something, but I use it
rarely.

He likes to jump into mud puddles on walks to cool down.

If you're not familiar with great pyrennes, they have very fancy, plume like
tails. His fur on the base of the tail is thick just like everywhere else on
the dog.

Anyone have any ideas why a dog would suddenly start biting at the base of
his tail? Any ideas on how to treat this?

 
 
 

Great pyrennes won't leave his tail alone

Post by Toni » Wed, 15 May 2002 18:44:09




Quote:
> Anyone have any ideas why a dog would suddenly start biting at the base of
> his tail? Any ideas on how to treat this?

#1 cause is flea allergy.
#2 cause is ***sac problems.
Pyrs have a very dense undercoat- if it is not kept brushed really well,
their skin cannot breathe, and a tendency to develop hot spots crops up.
Chewing an area can be a signal of pain.
And also- keep his mind and body exercised. If he is too tired to chew,
he'll slow down.

--
Toni
http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

Great pyrennes won't leave his tail alone

Post by His Serene Highness P » Thu, 16 May 2002 02:47:14


Thanks. He gets lots of exercise. I've treated him with some of that
advantage flea stuff. That should take care of fleas. I don't comb him every
day, but pretty frequently. If dirt were irritating him, I'd have thought
there were worse spots. His fur isn't that thick there and he doesn't dip
the base of his tail in muck that often.


Quote:



> > Anyone have any ideas why a dog would suddenly start biting at the base
of
> > his tail? Any ideas on how to treat this?

> #1 cause is flea allergy.
> #2 cause is ***sac problems.
> Pyrs have a very dense undercoat- if it is not kept brushed really well,
> their skin cannot breathe, and a tendency to develop hot spots crops up.
> Chewing an area can be a signal of pain.
> And also- keep his mind and body exercised. If he is too tired to chew,
> he'll slow down.

> --
> Toni
> http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

Great pyrennes won't leave his tail alone

Post by Toni » Thu, 16 May 2002 18:48:33




Quote:
> Thanks. He gets lots of exercise. I've treated him with some of that
> advantage flea stuff. That should take care of fleas. I don't comb him
every
> day, but pretty frequently. If dirt were irritating him, I'd have thought
> there were worse spots. His fur isn't that thick there and he doesn't dip
> the base of his tail in muck that often.

It wouldn't be dirt causing the problem, but a build-up of excess undercoat.
Use a fine comb, separate the coat to make sure you are getting down to the
skin, and it will come out.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

 
 
 

Great pyrennes won't leave his tail alone

Post by Dave » Sun, 19 May 2002 04:11:51


Take a look at http://www.moonsgarden.com/
Dave.



Quote:
> My great pyrennes, Billy, has taken to biting at the base of his tailk (on
> top where tail meets hind quarter). He's developed a sore there. Last year
> the vet shaved him on his arm and developed a condition there that was
> somewhat similar. He kept***ing at that wound. It stayed clean, but it
> didn't heal or grow fur until I put gauze on and lots of tape so he
couldn't
> get at it.

> Dogs will sometimes go overboard with the***ing the wounds thing. A vet
> told me he'd seen cases of dogs***ing for long periods til eventually
the
> skin was gone and the tendons and etc. were exposed. I think Billy might
be
> this kind of dog. Then again, he might have a skin problem or something I
> don't know about.

> We're pretty much flea free.

> I have used the slicker on him. Maybe that irritated something, but I use
it
> rarely.

> He likes to jump into mud puddles on walks to cool down.

> If you're not familiar with great pyrennes, they have very fancy, plume
like
> tails. His fur on the base of the tail is thick just like everywhere else
on
> the dog.

> Anyone have any ideas why a dog would suddenly start biting at the base of
> his tail? Any ideas on how to treat this?