Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Description of your first forum.

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by Warre » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00



We would love to have a dog but since my wife and I both work it would
be alone during the business week. For this reason we have rejected the
idea of a puppy and are focusing on adopting and *** dog. However,
I've read in many places on the Web that dogs left alone in this manner
ultimately develop obsessive behaviors like chronic barking, digging etc
to relieve the stress of their
separation anxiety.

Has anyone in a working household successfully brought an *** dog into
their home without these kinds of problems eventually surfacing for the
dog. We certainly don't want to make the life of our pet miserable.

Thanks,
Warren

 
 
 

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by Janet Baldw » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>Has anyone in a working household successfully brought an ***
>dog into their home without these kinds of problems eventually
>surfacing for the dog.

>Thanks,
>Warren

Absolutely!  I live by myself and work "normal" hours. (Gone
8 1/2 hours M-F, occasionally longer.)  I adopted a lovely
six-year old German Shepherd from the shelter,and she has been
totally non-destructive, non-barking, non-problematic. (She's
also a sweetie, who is totally bonded to me.)  

I do have a second dog now, but the shepherd got along just
fine for several years before number 2 came along.  The 2nd
dog is much more active, and can be destructive in the house,
but that's because she's a young malamute who could use more
exercise than I give her.  She would not be a good choice for
an only dog left at home all day, but with another dog she's fine.

So ask the shelter or rescue people to help you find a laid-back
dog, maybe an older dog.  Then accustom the dog a little at a
time to being alone. (First an hour, then half a day, and so
forth.  I went home at lunch for the first week, I think, with
the shepherd.)

As long as you give your dog lots of attention evenings and
weekends, you'll be fine.  (And I do think you're wise to get
an *** and not a puppy.  Much easier!)

Janet Baldwin

 
 
 

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by Marcia Sakriso » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> We would love to have a dog but since my wife and I both work it would
> be alone during the business week. For this reason we have rejected the
> idea of a puppy and are focusing on adopting and *** dog. However,
> I've read in many places on the Web that dogs left alone in this manner
> ultimately develop obsessive behaviors like chronic barking, digging etc
> to relieve the stress of their
> separation anxiety.

> Has anyone in a working household successfully brought an *** dog into
> their home without these kinds of problems eventually surfacing for the
> dog. We certainly don't want to make the life of our pet miserable.

> Thanks,
> Warren

Hi, Warren --

Dogs left by themselves all day definitely do become bored.  My husband
and I also work.  We have done several things to "keep our dog amused".

1.  We did get a second dog!  Our first dog was a Doberman, and our
second was a Dachshund.  They are best buddies, play well together.  The
Dobie is top dog, the Dachsie is *** to him.  That doesn't mean
that he can't hold his own in roughhousing, though :-)

2.  There are indestructable toys left outside in their big kennel for
them to play with.  They have two igloos for comfort, each with blankets
inside to help keep them warm when it's chilly (we live in Northern
California).  Mostly these are Kongs or similar toys.

3.  They have a tether ball to play with.  They seem to play with this
in cycles.

4.  We occasionally take them to "Doggy Day Care".  There is a trainer
in town who cares for dogs all day while we work.  They socialize with
other dogs, play all day, are monitored by three people to ensure no
unacceptable behavior, and come home completely tuckered for all of the
next day!  We do this maybe once a month.

5.  Our dogs get walked twice a day, for a total of 3-4 miles.  This
helps ensure that they don't have too much pent up energy, especially
the Dobie.  The Dachsie is more willing to be a sleepyhead.

6.  I've recently been screening pet sitters, who come into your home to
mind your animals.  The folks I've chosen will feed our animals, walk
them, give medicines if required, bring in mail, water plants, etc.
Some of their clients have them come over at lunchtime during the day to
take the dog for a 30 minute walk.  We plan on using them to visit our
dogs when we occasionally go out for an evening, and the dogs need to be
let outside after a few hours to relieve themselves.  This way, they'll
get a visit and a short walk.

7.  I've heard of people who come home at lunch to visit their dogs.
This has never really worked for us, but it might for you.

Hope all this is helpful.  Glad you have decided to rescue an ***
dog.  You might want to consider the relative energy level of the age of
dog you plan to rescue.  I.e., a two-year-old will still have lots of
energy and not much down time, but a five-year-old might be a little
more mellow!  Our Dobie, who is now almost 8 years old, still has lots
of
energy but is also willing to sit with me on the couch while I
needlepoint!

Good luck!

Marcia

 
 
 

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by Ceil Walla » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00




Quote:
>We would love to have a dog but since my wife and I both work it would
>be alone during the business week.

>I've read in many places on the Web that dogs left alone in this manner
>ultimately develop obsessive behaviors like chronic barking, digging etc
>to relieve the stress of their
>separation anxiety.
> We certainly don't want to make the life of our pet miserable.

 I think you've answered your own question.  I don't understand why
you want to get a dog when you won't be home most of the time to care
for it.  I'm not coming down on you, but please don't do it.....animal
shelters are so full of these kinds of things that didn't work out.  
Quote:

>Thanks,
>Warren

 
 
 

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by TrishGA » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00


I work at home, so it is rarely an issue, but when I do work all day (i.e. 8 -
5:30) at a client's office, I come home at lunch to spend time with my dog.  
Most of my friends who are dog owners who *do* work normal 9 - 5 type hours
either come home during the day to spend time with their dog, or they have a
dog walker come by.


Atlanta, GA
*** Writing, Editing, English Tutoring
http://www.moonsgarden.com/
Coming soon - Small Hound Rescue Page (dachshunds, beagles, basset hounds)

 
 
 

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by Betsy Barto » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00


You are incredibly lucky to be able to stay home with them or to get home
at lunchtime!  I leave home at 7:30 and get back at 5pm and the dogs are
alone (with each other) the entire time.  But I rarely go anywhere
non-dog-related in the evenings, so they do have plenty of play time.
They sleep most of the day, whether I am there or not, so I don't think
they are exactly suffering.  Actually, I found out a long time ago that
these particular dogs are less stressed if I leave only once a day rather
than 2 times, as I would if I came home at lunch.

Betsy & the Schips
__________________________

Quote:

> I work at home, so it is rarely an issue, but when I do work all day (i.e. 8 -
> 5:30) at a client's office, I come home at lunch to spend time with my dog.
> Most of my friends who are dog owners who *do* work normal 9 - 5 type hours
> either come home during the day to spend time with their dog, or they have a
> dog walker come by.


> Atlanta, GA
> *** Writing, Editing, English Tutoring
> http://www.moonsgarden.com/
> Coming soon - Small Hound Rescue Page (dachshunds, beagles, basset hounds)

 
 
 

Leaving Dog Home Alone 8-5:30

Post by htimS werdn » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>We would love to have a dog but since my wife and I both work it would
>be alone during the business week.

What you need is a fenced (big) yard and more than one dog.

Our dogs live in their yard every day and then come into (apparently)
their house every night.  My wife and I both work.

However, I would suggest you don't get two puppies the same age (esp.
littermates).

--
a.

...of course, you can't just throw them in the fence and ignore them,
either.