Since there are so many possible causes here is a site that might answer some
questions. At least the dog is being treated with iv-fluids which should help
buy time so either the cause can be found or whatever it was runs it's course.
I took him to the vet, he gave me some antibiotics to treat for intestinal
flu, but that did not help. Took xrays of stomach, and it looked like a
bone was stuck in the area that goes into the intestine from the stomach, so
he operated, but found nothing.
Further tests showed that his kidneys were failing.
He was a 4 year old black lab, and had kidneys of that equal to a 12 year
He was dieing, so I had to have him put to sleep.
That was this past sunday. I had him for 2 1/2 years.
I will, and do miss him so much. He was my big buddy.
Hope this is not the problem for you.
> >I hope I have found the right ng for this message. If I haven't, I
> >apologize. I need some help. My best friend's dog has been sick for
> >5 days with vomitting and diarrhea. She brought him to the vet, and
> >they thought he had swallowed a plastic bag, but they put some camera
> >thing inside him, and looked around, and apparently he is ok. His
> >*** checks out fine, his liver is fine, but he is sick! Does anyone
> >have any idea what it could be? He is getting iv fluids now, but I
> >am very worried about him. He is my favorite dog in the whole world,
> >and I want to do anything I can to help him. If anyone has any idea
> >what this could be, please let me know. It seems to be going on a
> >little long to be the flu, or food poisoning, but maybe not. Thanks
> >for your help.
> Kim Miller
> Bow-Wow: http://www.moonsgarden.com/
> Christmas Dreams: http://www.moonsgarden.com/
> Surf Minnesota: http://www.moonsgarden.com/
> Personal Homepage: http://www.moonsgarden.com/
> ICQ: 48547727
Kidney failure can be a result of a number of things. They can get into
something like antifreeze that damages the kidneys. Sometimes it is just an
age thing, and the body fails. They can be born with stinky kidneys, either
hereditory/genetic or just bad luck. Jadee fell into the last catagory. Bad
luck. There was nothing in her line that the breeder knew of. They were
devastated when they found out. The first thing my specialist asked me was
if she was the runt. She was. She told me that one possible reason she was
the runt is because of the bad kidneys. Mind you, she was in no way stating
that all runts have health issues. Her observation was alot of the young
kidney dogs are runts.
My heart goes out to you, Dennis. I know what you went through. They told
us Jadee would be with us about 2 months max after diagnosis at just over a
year. We had her a year and a half after that, with alot of work. But she
did well on her therapy until the end, when we chose to end it.
Godspeed to the bridge. Angel Jadee will give the tour to another victim of
renal failure. <sigh>