Pee-Pee

Description of your first forum.

Pee-Pee

Post by Enter Your Name He » Wed, 28 Dec 1994 03:04:36



My Rottweiler was potty trained (so I thought) But now she is 8 months and
having accidents nightly. She didn't once have an accident for 6 months.
What is going on and how do I correct this?
 
 
 

Pee-Pee

Post by Sandi Shrage » Wed, 28 Dec 1994 05:26:43



Quote:
> My Rottweiler was potty trained (so I thought) But now she is 8 months and
> having accidents nightly. She didn't once have an accident for 6 months.
> What is going on and how do I correct this?

I have a few questions--are you sure they are "accidents" as opposed to
marking?  And how close is she to her first heat, or is she spayed?  
These might affect the responses you get.
 
 
 

Pee-Pee

Post by Diamond D » Wed, 28 Dec 1994 09:06:50


In article

Quote:


> > My Rottweiler was potty trained (so I thought) But now she is 8 months and
> > having accidents nightly. She didn't once have an accident for 6 months.
> > What is going on and how do I correct this?

> I have a few questions--are you sure they are "accidents" as opposed to
> marking?  And how close is she to her first heat, or is she spayed?  
> These might affect the responses you get.

She just came out of heat (last week) and she is not spayed. She also
deficated twice as well as urinated. Do you think she knows better?
 
 
 

Pee-Pee

Post by Sandi Shrage » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 17:20:30



Quote:

> > I have a few questions--are you sure they are "accidents" as opposed to
> > marking?  And how close is she to her first heat, or is she spayed?  
> > These might affect the responses you get.

> She just came out of heat (last week) and she is not spayed. She also
> deficated twice as well as urinated. Do you think she knows better?

Ah, the reason I had asked is that dogs will have "accidents" for various
reasons, some being training issues which are best addressed through
redoing potty training.  The defication is a bit more of an issue.  I
*will* say that my girls have both had "accidents" indoors around their
first heat--it is marking behavior, they're letting you and boys know
they're horny and HERE THEY ARE!  If they were ever walked outdoors in
the last month you probably noticed that they never stopped peeing and
pooped as much as their bodies would allow.  I'm not sure why this
happens indoors, but with both of mine it did, and only right before,
during, and
right after their first heat. (If it's any consolation, I'm in the middle
of a second heat and she hasn't done it once).  I suspect, from watching
them, that they're distracted, horny, and marking, and the combination is
a bit much for a dog that only cares just *so much* about going indoors.  
Also remember that if not cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner they'll
continue to mark.
The only thing that has worked for me during these periods is to
frequently take them outside to "go potty" (they know this command).  It
reinforces what they know about outdoors and potty, and reminds them on a
more frequent basis that this is where it should happen.  I re-enforce
potty training and ALWAYS clean up afterwards with a good enzymatic
cleaner.  So far, out of heat, I've had no problems.

Keep in mind that it may be a regression for her, and that my advice re:
it being close to her heat may be off the mark (sic).  But also, as you
get other advice, keep in mind marking and her recent heat as
contributors to this problem.

Good luck!

Sandi