To Climb or Not to Climb?

Description of your first forum.

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Catherine Dum » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00



I have always loved the Peace rose and although I generally want to avoid
"fussing" with hybrid teas have decided to get it. Now, I can't decide
whether to get it as a bush or as a climber. I would really like some
opinions on how it performs in both forms. Is there a difference at all
other than growth habits?
-
  Catherine
    in Connecticut

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Sey1 » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00


I only have the HT, but from what I understand, the flowers on the climber
 are smaller, but just as beautiful and they prefer a warm climate in
order to bloom well.  According to "The Ultimate Rose Book" - "In Britain
it is a failure (the climber), giving leaves and rarely a flower.  Place
it carefully, for the branches are heavy and stiff, and do not expect too
much in the way of autumn, or fall, blooms, although there will be some."
The HT is rated a 8.4 and the climber is rated a 6.2.  As it is, with so
many roses, it depends on what you are looking for in the rose and the
region in which you plan to grow it.
Suzanne

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Kay Cange » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

> I have always loved the Peace rose and although I generally want to avoid
> "fussing" with hybrid teas have decided to get it. Now, I can't decide
> whether to get it as a bush or as a climber. I would really like some
> opinions on how it performs in both forms. Is there a difference at all
> other than growth habits?
> -

Unless you're on the Connecticut coast, you're probably too cold for a
climbing hybrid tea to do well for you. Climbers need to build up old wood
to climb, and below zero temperatures tend to do a job on hybrid teas.

Also, people around here seem to have a fair amount of trouble with
winterkill with Peace. Somebody (Petrose, perhaps?) mentioned that most of
the Peaces in commerce were virused. It would probably be worth your while
to find a clean version.

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA Zone 5

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by petr.. » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I have always loved the Peace rose and although I generally want to avoid
> "fussing" with hybrid teas have decided to get it. Now, I can't decide
> whether to get it as a bush or as a climber.

Some years ago Tom Carruth stated at one of our meetings that it was his
experience that in most cases the bush form was superior to its climbing
counterpart. Having noted that and made my own observations since I am
in full agreement with him. I have not grown the climbing form of Peace
but have seen it on innumerable occasions and have little doubt that
unless you are intent on covering up a big space you will find much
better performance from the bush form.
 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Sam McGred » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:



>> I have always loved the Peace rose and although I generally want to avoid
>> "fussing" with hybrid teas have decided to get it. Now, I can't decide
>> whether to get it as a bush or as a climber. I would really like some
>> opinions on how it performs in both forms. Is there a difference at all
>> other than growth habits?
>> -
>Unless you're on the Connecticut coast, you're probably too cold for a
>climbing hybrid tea to do well for you. Climbers need to build up old wood
>to climb, and below zero temperatures tend to do a job on hybrid teas.

>Also, people around here seem to have a fair amount of trouble with
>winterkill with Peace. Somebody (Petrose, perhaps?) mentioned that most of
>the Peaces in commerce were virused. It would probably be worth your while
>to find a clean version.

>Kay Cangemi
>New York, USDA Zone 5

I absolutely agree. The bush of Peace is good just about everywhere. The
climbing form is a stiff-growing, very shy flowering, awkward s.o.b.
except in a nice, dry, warm climate like Rome in Italy, I know-not-where
in the U.S.

Regards,
Sam

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Richard Cli » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00




Quote:


> :>I absolutely agree. The bush of Peace is good just about everywhere. The
> :>climbing form is a stiff-growing, very shy flowering, awkward s.o.b.
> :>except in a nice, dry, warm climate like Rome in Italy,

I've found the climbing Peace to be outstanding in almost all aspects here
is Santa Barbara.  In the springtime the totally rose is covered with those
immense blossoms.  The bloom continues year around.  True - there is not
much fragrance.  Also, the flower does not last well when it is picked.
But here is a rose that will cover a fence to a height of 10 ' for a length
of 25' without demanding much special care.  

Dick

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Dawn Hoski » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00


Quote:



>:>I absolutely agree. The bush of Peace is good just about everywhere. The
>:>climbing form is a stiff-growing, very shy flowering, awkward s.o.b.
>:>except in a nice, dry, warm climate like Rome in Italy,

>Or Sevilla, Spain where mine was incredible! :-)

They do extremely well out here in the Mojave Desert.  Some folks have them
growing over entire sides of their houses to cool the house from the sun.  I
know of one that is, no kidding, about 17' tall and 25' wide, huge, beautiful,
aromatic.

Dawn

***:  A woman with two kids and no stretch marks.


http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Mel Hul » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00



:>I absolutely agree. The bush of Peace is good just about everywhere. The
:>climbing form is a stiff-growing, very shy flowering, awkward s.o.b.
:>except in a nice, dry, warm climate like Rome in Italy,

Or Sevilla, Spain where mine was incredible! :-)

--
                    Mel Hulse, Col. USAF (Ret'd)
                     Silicon Valley Rose Farmer
                  SUPPORT YOUR PUBLIC ROSE GARDEN!

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by stur » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


>> I have always loved the Peace rose and although I generally want to avoid
>> "fussing" with hybrid teas have decided to get it. Now, I can't decide
>> whether to get it as a bush or as a climber.
>Some years ago Tom Carruth stated at one of our meetings that it was his
>experience that in most cases the bush form was superior to its climbing
>counterpart. Having noted that and made my own observations since I am
>in full agreement with him.

I agree with the pollen pimp.

Quote:
>I have not grown the climbing form of Peace
>but have seen it on innumerable occasions and have little doubt that
>unless you are intent on covering up a big space you will find much
>better performance from the bush form.

But if you are intent on covering up a big space, Cl. Peace
is a horse of a rose--far and away the biggest free-standing
monster I have.  It seems to have a persnickety attitude about
blooming.  Doesn't bloom heavily--just enough for you to know it's
still with the program.  I get a big kick outa seeing a 40 mile an
hour wind kick up those 20 foot canes.  When they're all loaded
down, it's like slow motion.  That's howzcum it's so tough,
it gets lots of exercise.  I regularly cut two by fours of it to
fix my deck.

m

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Judy Pined » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>But if you are intent on covering up a big space, Cl. Peace
>is a horse of a rose--far and away the biggest free-standing
>monster I have.  It seems to have a persnickety attitude about
>blooming.  Doesn't bloom heavily--

I"ve read that the climbing version is supposed to have a big spring
bloom, and very sparse thereafter.  Have you seen that picture in the
Ultimate Rose Book -- a killer!  Sounds like it's being a bit shy in
your New Mexico clime.

Judy

just enough for you to know it's

Quote:
>still with the program.  I get a big kick outa seeing a 40 mile an
>hour wind kick up those 20 foot canes.  When they're all loaded
>down, it's like slow motion.  That's howzcum it's so tough,
>it gets lots of exercise.  I regularly cut two by fours of it to
>fix my deck.

>m

 
 
 

To Climb or Not to Climb?

Post by Christine A. Owen » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I have always loved the Peace rose and although I generally want to avoid
> "fussing" with hybrid teas have decided to get it. Now, I can't decide
> whether to get it as a bush or as a climber. I would really like some
> opinions on how it performs in both forms. Is there a difference at all
> other than growth habits?
> -
>   Catherine
>     in Connecticut

Well, my climbing Peace had much smaller, but more profuse blooms than my bush.  Of
course, it was possible to do much more vigorous pruning on the bush, so this may have
affected it.

Chris Owens