New Rose Garden

Description of your first forum.

New Rose Garden

Post by mjcicca.. » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 02:24:45



Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.
What is new with any of you?

MJ

 
 
 

New Rose Garden

Post by Fran » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 22:57:00


If the deer are hungry enough, they will eat anything.  8 foot deer
fence is your best bet, as they can jump over anything lower.


Quote:

>Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.
>What is new with any of you?

>MJ

 
 
 

New Rose Garden

Post by mjcicca.. » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 00:52:14


Quote:

> If the deer are hungry enough, they will eat anything.  8 foot deer

> fence is your best bet, as they can jump over anything lower.



> >Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.

> >What is new with any of you?

> >MJ

one electric wire will do the trick
 
 
 

New Rose Garden

Post by thomaspou » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 16:11:39


This is same happened with me

--
thomaspoul

 
 
 

New Rose Garden

Post by Eric H » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:59:34


allen73;978029 Wrote:

Quote:
> RYou can even plant marigold and lamb's ear in your raised garden. These
> two plants will keep deer away from your raised bed.

Thanks for the tip, but I wonder why that will keep deer away? Can't
they take the specific smell of the plants or what's the secret? Some
more information on that would be very much appreciated :)

--
Eric H.

 
 
 

New Rose Garden

Post by mjcicca.. » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:28:37


Quote:

> allen73;978029 Wrote:

> > RYou can even plant marigold and lamb's ear in your raised garden. These

> > two plants will keep deer away from your raised bed.

> Thanks for the tip, but I wonder why that will keep deer away? Can't

> they take the specific smell of the plants or what's the secret? Some

> more information on that would be very much appreciated :)

> --

> Eric H.

Nothing is going to keep deer away except an electric fence.