I'VE GOT SCALE!

Description of your first forum.

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by sarah l huf » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:51:31



Hi everyone!  One of my dendrobiums has scale.  What is the best course of
treatment?  (I know we've discussed this before, but I can't remember the
answer.)  I'm concerned about what to do because one of my dendrobiums (the
affected one) is just a baby (two new growths off of a full grown plant that
died), and the other has just started forming a bud spike.  Thanks,
everyone!

Sarah

--

 
 
 

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by Harold Ottensma » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 06:23:43


I use rubbing *** and 409 cleanser.  Works for me.

HNO


Quote:
> Hi everyone!  One of my dendrobiums has scale.  What is the best course of
> treatment?  (I know we've discussed this before, but I can't remember the
> answer.)  I'm concerned about what to do because one of my dendrobiums
(the
> affected one) is just a baby (two new growths off of a full grown plant
that
> died), and the other has just started forming a bud spike.  Thanks,
> everyone!

> Sarah

> --

 
 
 

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by Susan Erickso » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:02:08


Sarah -
 Put your rubbing *** (69 cents a qt. at Wal-Mart) in a small
mister bottle from over in the *** hair stuff aisle. Then spray
all the scale you can see. Wipe it off. Also spray any place that
is a connection between leaves and canes or small tight creases.
Spray the bottom of the plant as it goes into the mix. IF this is a
severe case repot and spray the roots. The *** will not harm the
plant. IT will evaporate very rapidly and other than tickling your
nose and smelling for a bit will not harm you.  Then every day check
the plant. IF you see more do it again. If anything touches this
plant, spray it now. Keep a close watch. IF you don't find anything
for 2 - 3 weeks your problem is solved.
SuE
Quote:

> I use rubbing *** and 409 cleanser.  Works for me.

> HNO


> > Hi everyone!  One of my dendrobiums has scale.  What is the best course of
> > treatment?  (I know we've discussed this before, but I can't remember the
> > answer.)  I'm concerned about what to do because one of my dendrobiums
> (the
> > affected one) is just a baby (two new growths off of a full grown plant
> that
> > died), and the other has just started forming a bud spike.  Thanks,
> > everyone!

> > Sarah

> > --

 
 
 

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by Eric Muehlbaue » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:50:20


Try plain old Sunspray oil....totally harmless, and kills scale better
than anything I've tried. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer
 
 
 

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by sarah l huf » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:28:23


What is Sunspray oil?  I've never heard of it.  In the meantime, I'll try
the ***.

--


Quote:
> Try plain old Sunspray oil....totally harmless, and kills scale better
> than anything I've tried. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

 
 
 

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by Gideon Sing » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:05:57


On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:50:20, Eric Muehlbauer

Quote:

> Try plain old Sunspray oil....totally harmless, and kills scale better
> than anything I've tried. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Use Enstar II expensive but it works.

If it is only a small infestation then *** will work too  just be
sure you wipe all the surfaces to get the young ones that are
practically invisible.  Isolate the plants(s) and repeat in a week.
Keep a way eye out for at least three if not four weeks to get any
that you have missed.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful wet Vancouver BC

 
 
 

I'VE GOT SCALE!

Post by Jerry Hoffmeiste » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:42:12


Sunspray has worked great for me as well.  It's a paraffinic oil that
smothers the little suckers.  Here's a link to the mfg website:

http://www.moonsgarden.com/

or do a websearch.  You can find it for around $8 per pint I think.

Jerry



Quote:
> What is Sunspray oil?  I've never heard of it.  In the meantime, I'll try
> the ***.

> --



> > Try plain old Sunspray oil....totally harmless, and kills scale better
> > than anything I've tried. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer