Artificial Lighting Recs

Description of your first forum.

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by GARLAND HANSO » Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:24:43



I have a ton of orchids in a greenhouse but I want to try some mottled-leaf
paphs inside on shelving under artificial light next to an eastern window.
I'm using a wire four-shelf unit on caster wheels that measures 48" x 18".
I've got the trays, watering, humidity, and air movement down.  What I'm up
in the air about is the lighting.  Opinions on the web seem to be plentiful.
What I'm looking for are people that are successfully growing orchids under
lights themselves.

I'll be using 48" tubes.  The fixtures and tubes seem to be plentiful at
Home Depot and Lowes.  I'd like to have lighting that is effective, quiet,
and economical.  Can I have all three???

Regarding fixtures...
Should I use the 2 or 4 tube units?  Both are available.  My shelves are 18"
wide.
Should I try the T12 or higher-priced T8 fixtures?  Both are available.  I
understand the T8 fixtures are quieter and are more economical to operate.
They are more expensive than the T12s.
Should the fixtures be used with the diffuser panel installed or used with
the bulbs exposed without the diffuser?
Are there fixtures that are quieter than others?

Regarding florescent lighting tubes...
Should 32W T8 or 40W T12 units be used?  Both are available in full spectrum
tubes.
How far away should the tubes be from the paphs?  These are all PB plants.
How long should the lights be on during the day?  (I've read anywhere from
12-18hrs/day.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I'll post a photo of my setup when
it is complete.

Garland
Midlothian, VA

 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by Susan Erickso » Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:39:23


On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:24:43 GMT, "GARLAND HANSON"

Quote:

>I'll be using 48" tubes.  The fixtures and tubes seem to be plentiful at
>Home Depot and Lowes.  I'd like to have lighting that is effective, quiet,
>and economical.  Can I have all three???

>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I'll post a photo of my setup when
>it is complete.

>Garland
>Midlothian, VA

Most of us that have used the HD fixtures pick CHEAP.  CHEAP
fixtures and Cheap bulbs.  So it is generally 2 2-bulb fixtures
per shelf.  The effect of 4 lamps.  Within a hand span of the
leaves.  Ray has an article about light on plants and the drop
off of effectiveness caused by distance.  www.FirstRays.com  in
his free stuff.  I always thought 12 hours was it, but I have
recently heard from a speaker who had gone from outdoor to indoor
and due to less light used longer hours.  It worked for her.  

We would love to see your set up posted to ABPO.  Remember no pix
on RGO.  

Good Luck.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/albums.php

 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by dann » Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:59:01


4 tubes would work great.  If you want to try and get away with two tubes,
buy a fixture with a wide reflector.  Two of the two-tube shop lights on
each shelf will work good.

Generally fluorescent fixtures aren't noisy at all.

Either T12 or T8 should work fine.  I think T8 fixtures often come with an
electronic ballast, which uses less electricity and puts out less heat.
Distance will depend a bit on the height of your tallest plant, but with
most Paphs the base of the plants should probably be less than a foot from
the lights.  Check the output of the different bulbs, it varies widely.

I'm no expert on day length, but somewhere in the 12-16 range would probably
work.  18 seems a bit extreme if you have an adequate amount of lighting.  I
think mine are around 14.

-danny

 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by Aaron Hic » Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:51:33


        Your setup depends upon what you want to grow. Paphs and phals
will do fine under regular tubes, either T12 or T8. I've been trying for
several weeks now to get more of the dual-tube types that accept either
T12 or T8, but there seems to be a complete absence of them in the stores
these days.

        For higher output, you'll need something like VHO (very high
output) tubes, with correspondingly higher heat and light output, and
higher power bills. They're also more expensive to buy, but are better for
growing stuff like cattleyas. I think there's another power group in there
somewhere I'm missing. There are simply too many types to keep good track
of these days.

        Then there's the dope-growing stuff, like MH (metal halide) and
HID (high intensity discharge), in case you want to have your name
appended to some gov'munt watch list. If you go this route, call the
electric company and see if they'll let you attach anything to the little
whirly-disk in the electric meter, as it'll double as a fan while it goes
'round and 'round.

        The e-mail in the header is bogus. Send no mail there.

        Cheers,

        -AJHicks
        Chandler, AZ

 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by mg » Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:58:28


Quote:

>    Then there's the dope-growing stuff, like MH (metal halide) and
> HID (high intensity discharge),

MH for vegetative growth.  HPS (high pressure sodium) for flowering.
I've always wondered about HPS for orchids, but they're way too
expensive for anything but a cash crop.  And I'm a hobby grower ...
 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by Myrmecod » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:12:27


Quote:

>    For higher output, you'll need something like VHO (very high
> output) tubes, with correspondingly higher heat and light output, and
> higher power bills. They're also more expensive to buy, but are better for
> growing stuff like cattleyas. I think there's another power group in there
> somewhere I'm missing. There are simply too many types to keep good track
> of these days.

Power compacts?  See http://www.ahsupply.com.  They are wonderful for
planted aquaria, and I expect they would be very useful in smaller
light gardens and wardian cases where 48" tubes won't fit.

Technologically, aquatic plant hobbyists always seem to be a couple of
years ahead of dirt plant and orchid growers, probably because their
plants are completely dependent on artificial light.  Check any of the
various aquatic plant lists or newsgroups for further info on the
latest lighting fads.

Nick
--

 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by J. Del C » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:55:50


Quote:

> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:24:43 GMT, "GARLAND HANSON"

> >I'll be using 48" tubes.  The fixtures and tubes seem to be plentiful at
> >Home Depot and Lowes.  I'd like to have lighting that is effective, quiet,
> >and economical.  Can I have all three???

> Most of us that have used the HD fixtures pick CHEAP.  CHEAP
> fixtures and Cheap bulbs.  So it is generally 2 2-bulb fixtures
> per shelf.  The effect of 4 lamps.  Within a hand span of the
> leaves.  Ray has an article about light on plants and the drop
> off of effectiveness caused by distance.  www.FirstRays.com  in
> his free stuff.

The general rule is that light intensity from a diffuse source is
inversely proportional to the distance from the source.

From a point source the intensity is inversely proportional to the
square of the distance, but a fluorescent light is best considered as
a collection of point sources.

(See, Ray, I remembered from our first encounter ump*** years ago, I
think)

Output will decrease with the age of the tubes, too.

J. Del Col

 
 
 

Artificial Lighting Recs

Post by GARLAND HANSO » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:33:38


OK, I have the lighting fixtures for the top shelf.  I bought two of the
double-tube units and have mounted them side-by-side.  I'm using the C50
Colortone Full Spectrum tubes.

How far away should I place mottled-leafed paphs (Maudiae crosses) and how
far should mature phals be from the light source?  My shelves are
adjustable.

Already I like having the plants in the house, actually in my office.  I'm
wondering how they'll do during the winter with little chilling.  I do have
a handful of strap-leafed seedlings in the trays also.

I'm running the lights for 14 hours per day.  I don't detect any significant
heat being emitted from the tubes.  Currently the lights are 8" above the
plants.

Thanks in advance,
Garland Hanson
Midlothian, VA




Quote:
> > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:24:43 GMT, "GARLAND HANSON"

> > >I'll be using 48" tubes.  The fixtures and tubes seem to be plentiful
at
> > >Home Depot and Lowes.  I'd like to have lighting that is effective,
quiet,
> > >and economical.  Can I have all three???

> > Most of us that have used the HD fixtures pick CHEAP.  CHEAP
> > fixtures and Cheap bulbs.  So it is generally 2 2-bulb fixtures
> > per shelf.  The effect of 4 lamps.  Within a hand span of the
> > leaves.  Ray has an article about light on plants and the drop
> > off of effectiveness caused by distance.  www.FirstRays.com  in
> > his free stuff.

> The general rule is that light intensity from a diffuse source is
> inversely proportional to the distance from the source.

> From a point source the intensity is inversely proportional to the
> square of the distance, but a fluorescent light is best considered as
> a collection of point sources.

> (See, Ray, I remembered from our first encounter ump*** years ago, I
> think)

> Output will decrease with the age of the tubes, too.

> J. Del Col