Hick's yew -- question about roots

Description of your first forum.

Hick's yew -- question about roots

Post by WPB » Fri, 06 May 2005 00:00:05



Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new Garden
box to hold three or four more.  I'm not describing this very well, but
what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go.  The one I
have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like the new ones to
grow to the same height, but I need to know how much room to leave for the
roots.

Any information will be gratefully received!

David

 
 
 

Hick's yew -- question about roots

Post by Newt » Fri, 06 May 2005 17:22:26


WPB Wrote:

Quote:
> Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new
> garden box to hold three or four more.  I'm not describing this very
> well, but what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go.
> The one I have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like
> the new ones to grow to the same height, but I need to know how much
> room to leave for the roots.

> Any information will be gratefully received!

> David

Hi David,
The major concern would be the spacing.  They will grow to 6' to 8'
wide or more, so space them accordingly.
http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
Newt

--
Newt

 
 
 

Hick's yew -- question about roots

Post by WPB » Sat, 07 May 2005 05:46:05


Many thanks!  I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening
books I had, but it's a very specific question.  I'm grateful for your
expertise!

David
___________________________________________

Quote:
> Hi David,
> The major concern would be the spacing.  They will grow to 6' to 8'
> wide or more, so space them accordingly.
> http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

> I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
> Newt

 
 
 

Hick's yew -- question about roots

Post by Newt » Sat, 07 May 2005 12:08:44


WPB Wrote:

Quote:
> Many thanks!  I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few
> gardening books I had, but it's a very specific question.  I'm grateful
> for your expertise!

> David
> ___________________________________________
> -
> Hi David,
> The major concern would be the spacing.  They will grow to 6' to 8'wide
> or more, so space them accordingly.
> http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

> I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
> Newt-

David, you are very welcome.  I meant to tell you that yews have
extensive root systems when they mature, so try and make your box
without a bottom so the roots can grow into the native soil.

Newt

--
Newt