Female Queensland Fruit Fly??

Description of your first forum.

Female Queensland Fruit Fly??

Post by Barry War » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00



I usually have a fruit fly problem here in the south of Brisbane, Queensland
around this time of year. So, I bought a fruit fly trap which has a hormone
type bait which apparently attracts the male of the species only. I have
caught about a hundred of them so far -- but as it is the female that is
supposed to actually sting the fruit, I am wondering what they look like. I
can't see anything flying around my tomatoes and so far they don't look like
they have been stung so far -- so have I got my facts straight about the
male/female situation ??  The males? that I have been catching are larger
than a house fly and have yellow/orange cross stripes.

Barry

 
 
 

Female Queensland Fruit Fly??

Post by gardenle » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00




Quote:
> I usually have a fruit fly problem here in the south of Brisbane,
Queensland
> around this time of year. So, I bought a fruit fly trap which has a
hormone
> type bait which apparently attracts the male of the species only. I
have
> caught about a hundred of them so far -- but as it is the female that
is
> supposed to actually sting the fruit, I am wondering what they look
like. I
> can't see anything flying around my tomatoes and so far they don't
look like
> they have been stung so far -- so have I got my facts straight about
the
> male/female situation ??  The males? that I have been catching are
larger
> than a house fly and have yellow/orange cross stripes.

> Barry

g'day barry,

yeh i've killed hundreds of male flies using a wick that attracts and
kills. but never seen the female but as you say with no males the
females aren't damaging the fruit.

i also hang vegemite traps and honey traps that are supposed to attract
and ultimately kill the female, i get a lot of bugs in them bit hard to
identify anything in the vegemite traps though.

anyway having a spot on year with o fruit fly damage though.

len

--
happy gardening
'it works for me it could work for you'
<http://www.globec.com.au/~ntbandit/>
"old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Female Queensland Fruit Fly??

Post by Barry War » Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> yeh i've killed hundreds of male flies using a wick that attracts and
> kills. but never seen the female but as you say with no males the
> females aren't damaging the fruit.

> i also hang vegemite traps and honey traps that are supposed to attract
> and ultimately kill the female, i get a lot of bugs in them bit hard to
> identify anything in the vegemite traps though.

> anyway having a spot on year with o fruit fly damage though.

> len

I have tried all sorts of "home made " remedy fruit fly traps -- all I can
catch are ants!!  However the commercial traps work really well.

Are you saying that you also are having no trouble with fruit fly this
year??

BTW - you don't want some GIANT cucumbers do you??  I have grown so many
this year that I don' t know what to do with them.

Barry

 
 
 

Female Queensland Fruit Fly??

Post by gardenle » Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:00:00




Quote:

> > yeh i've killed hundreds of male flies using a wick that attracts
and
> > kills. but never seen the female but as you say with no males the
> > females aren't damaging the fruit.

> > i also hang vegemite traps and honey traps that are supposed to
attract
> > and ultimately kill the female, i get a lot of bugs in them bit
hard to
> > identify anything in the vegemite traps though.

> > anyway having a spot on year with o fruit fly damage though.

> > len

> I have tried all sorts of "home made " remedy fruit fly traps -- all
I can
> catch are ants!!  However the commercial traps work really well.

i noticed a little brown fly similar to the male fruit fly but smaller
in the honey trap, it was dead. just awful hard to see small dead stuff
in the vegemite traps.

Quote:
> Are you saying that you also are having no trouble with fruit fly this
> year??

not this year right on top of them although i wonder if it's hot enough
just yet, i have ahd plenty of dead male flies in the wick trpas

Quote:
> BTW - you don't want some GIANT cucumbers do you??  I have grown so
many
> this year that I don' t know what to do with them.

i'm having all sorts of problems trying to grow any cuces giant or
otherwise, so i'd gladly relieve you of some of your fruit, just don't
know when i am likely to be down your way.

len

Quote:
> Barry

--
happy gardening
'it works for me it could work for you'
<http://www.globec.com.au/~ntbandit/>
"old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.