what to plant here

Description of your first forum.

what to plant here

Post by irene2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 03:59:12



Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
irene24

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by Brooklyn » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:16:47


Quote:

>Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
>gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
>its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds
>http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|

Plant a vegetable garden.
 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by David Hare-Scot » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:27:32


Quote:

> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>> Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
>> Download:
>> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

It is impossible to say unless you give some idea of what you want to do
with the area and even then it is a very big question.

In gardens there is no such thing as one size fits all within a limited
budget of space and time.   Do you want to sit there in summer or in winter,
do you want children to play there, just to have a nice outlook from the
house or to feed a family of four?   I presume that when you had the trees
cut down there was some purpose in mind.  What was it?  If there was no plan
other than 'let's cut down the trees' you have not made an auspicious start.

Having worked out what you want then we get on to issues of soil, rainfall,
climate and aspect which determine how much of your vision is possible and
the content of how you do it.  This is going to take some effort if you
cannot pay for help.  Some study, planning and thought will save you wasting
money on plants that won't grow or a sore back from digging for no good
purpose.

For a start go to the local lending library and get some books on basic
Garden design.  This will give you some idea of the scope of what you might
do and what is involved in doing it.  Then make a realistic assessment of
whether you can learn do it.

David

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by Dan Espe » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:36:09


Quote:

> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
> |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Wow, looks like a bomb went off.

First clear the rubble.

Second, looks like a section of the fence is being held up with braces.
That's no good.  Replace entire fence and match the adjacent fence.

Plant tallest stuff you want at the back.

Then vegetables if you want,
flowers if you want,
lawn if you want,
patio.

--
Dan Espen

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by Bill » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:56:24



Quote:

> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
> |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

My choices would be either Honeysuckle for its smell, or Wisteria for
the beauty of its Springtime blooms. With the honeysuckle, make sure
that it is scented, some aren't. Both will require attention, as they
tend to try to escape.

In general, I'd do as David recommends. Sweet peas may do for you until
you find a solution. Go to local nurseries and see what they have to
offer. A little study will save you a lot of work later.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by irene2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 20:40:11


'Billy[_12_ Wrote:

Quote:


> -
> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
> |Download:
> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

> My choices would be either Honeysuckle for its smell, or Wisteria for
> the beauty of its Springtime blooms. With the honeysuckle, make sure
> that it is scented, some aren't. Both will require attention, as they
> tend to try to escape.

> In general, I'd do as David recommends. Sweet peas may do for you until

> you find a solution. Go to local nurseries and see what they have to
> offer. A little study will save you a lot of work later.

> --
> Remember Rachel Corrie
> 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)

> Welcome to the New America.
> 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
> YouTube' (http://tinyurl.com/3eorugd)

Thanks for your tips
This peace of land is where the persons at the back have moved the
boundery and left all theire rubbish for me to clear as you can see its
very hard to clear it
I thought of planting rambling roses and maybe some ground cover but as
i have dogs small as they are they will be going on it
My question is what to plant as ground cover

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
irene24

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by Bill » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 02:33:17



Quote:

> 'Billy[_12_ Wrote:


> > -
> > Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> > gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> > its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
> > |Download:
> > http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

> > My choices would be either Honeysuckle for its smell, or Wisteria for
> > the beauty of its Springtime blooms. With the honeysuckle, make sure
> > that it is scented, some aren't. Both will require attention, as they
> > tend to try to escape.

> > In general, I'd do as David recommends. Sweet peas may do for you until

> > you find a solution. Go to local nurseries and see what they have to
> > offer. A little study will save you a lot of work later.

> > --
> > Remember Rachel Corrie
> > 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)

> > Welcome to the New America.
> > 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
> > YouTube' (http://tinyurl.com/3eorugd)

> Thanks for your tips
> This peace of land is where the persons at the back have moved the
> boundery and left all theire rubbish for me to clear as you can see its
> very hard to clear it
> I thought of planting rambling roses and maybe some ground cover but as
> i have dogs small as they are they will be going on it
> My question is what to plant as ground cover

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

While it could be argued that RAMBLING roses have the most beautiful and
fragrant flowers, when it comes to sheer sustained flowering, CLIMBERS
win hands down. While ramblers flower in dramatic surges or flushes -
two a year at most, climbers flower repeatedly and continuously,
sometimes from spring to fall.

When you say that your dogs will be going on the ground cover, I presume
that you mean that they will be relieving themselves on it. In that
case, I'd suggest ivy. We have dogs that use it for that purpose, but
again it will require some effort to keep it contained.
There's an old saying about ivy: "The first year it creeps, the second
year it crawls, and the third year it leaps".

A more ornamental ground cover would be something like  Dianthus 'Bath's
Pink' (Cheddar pink), any of the Daylilies, English daisy, or Acaena
inermis 'Purpurea' (Purple sheep's burr, Purple goose leaf)  to name a
few.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by Notat Hom » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 00:52:02


Quote:

> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
> |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

With limited funds, I would not recommend buying plants or ground
covers.  For very little money, you can buy packets of vegetable seeds
which would provide a crop while at the same time covering the ground.

I'm not from England, but in our US garden we plant beets, beans, and
squash, all of which look nice and taste better.  I get bush beans in
multiple varieties, rather than pole beans.  Squash spreads a lot and
has a short season, but looks nice during the season.

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by David Hare-Scot » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 06:36:08


Quote:


>> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
>> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this
>> fencing its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>> Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
>>> Download:
>>> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

> With limited funds, I would not recommend buying plants or ground
> covers.  For very little money, you can buy packets of vegetable seeds
> which would provide a crop while at the same time covering the ground.

Maybe, if the plot gets full sun, the temperature is reasonable, the soil is
reasonable and the OP is prepared to water and otherwise look after annuals.
We haven't been given much information here but from the one rather vague
elaboration supplied I get the feeling spending half a year looking after a
vege patch isn't a priority.

The idea of spending on seeds instead of plants is good but there is too
little data to guess what kind of seeds.

D

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by David Hare-Scot » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 06:46:35


Quote:

> 'Billy[_12_ Wrote:


>> -
>> Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
>> gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this
>> fencing its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds

>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>> Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
>>> Download:
>> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

>> My choices would be either Honeysuckle for its smell, or Wisteria for
>> the beauty of its Springtime blooms. With the honeysuckle, make sure
>> that it is scented, some aren't. Both will require attention, as they
>> tend to try to escape.

>> In general, I'd do as David recommends. Sweet peas may do for you
>> until

>> you find a solution. Go to local nurseries and see what they have to
>> offer. A little study will save you a lot of work later.

>> --
>> Remember Rachel Corrie
>> 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)

>> Welcome to the New America.
>> 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
>> YouTube' (http://tinyurl.com/3eorugd)

> Thanks for your tips
> This peace of land is where the persons at the back have moved the
> boundery and left all theire rubbish for me to clear as you can see
> its very hard to clear it
> I thought of planting rambling roses and maybe some ground cover but
> as i have dogs small as they are they will be going on it
> My question is what to plant as ground cover

Do you want one picked at random or one that might suit your situation?

If the first then you gamble on whether it will look any good or even grow
at all.  If the second maybe you should first tell us about your soil,
climate and aspect.  You seem to have missed the part where I said there is
no one-size-fits-all.  Let me put it slightly differently: there is no magic
dust like Sam Gamgee spread around the Shire.

D

 
 
 

what to plant here

Post by Priscilla H. Ballo » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 05:13:45




Quote:

> > Hello every one new to internet and forums too im a beginner in
> > gardenning .Can any one give me a tip on what to plant by this fencing
> > its west facing but i have very very  limmited funds
> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > |Filename: 20130331_183006.jpg                                      |
> > |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15504|
> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> Wow, looks like a bomb went off.
> First clear the rubble.
> Second, looks like a section of the fence is being held up with braces.
> That's no good.  Replace entire fence and match the adjacent fence.
> Plant tallest stuff you want at the back.
> Then vegetables if you want,
> flowers if you want,
> lawn if you want,
> patio.

You also want to consider the quality of the soil if you're going to
grow edibles.  I garden in a city, where vehicle exhaust has deposited a
lot of lead in the soil.  I had to import all the soil I use to grow
vegetables or herbs in.  Flowers I can put anywhere, but if it's going
in my mouth, I want to be sure it hasn't sucked up toxins from the soil.

Priscilla