Newbie: Compost Bin Question

Description of your first forum.

Newbie: Compost Bin Question

Post by Dan Sulliv » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 07:37:29



My yard isn't large, how far away from the house should
a compost bin be located? What can be added to keep it
from overpowering the scent of the flower beds? Is it
really worth the trouble?

Yes, I am guilty of setting yard & kitchen waste at the
curb every week and then buying chemical and even organic
fertilizers (in plastic containers) to keep my plants
"healthy."

Where can I find a good primer with all the how's and
why's of backyard composting?

Dan in Southern California

( Yes, it really does rain here. Not often, but we're
certainly getting our share this week! )

 
 
 

Newbie: Compost Bin Question

Post by Richard Spe » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 04:48:25


Quote:


>Subject: Newbie: Compost Bin Question
>Date: 12 Jan 1995 22:37:29 GMT
>My yard isn't large, how far away from the house should
>a compost bin be located? What can be added to keep it
>from overpowering the scent of the flower beds? Is it
>really worth the trouble?
>Where can I find a good primer with all the how's and
>why's of backyard composting?
>Dan in Southern California

The easiest word on the subject, in my opinion, is "Let It Rot:The Gardener's
Guide to Composting" by Stu Campbell, published by Storey Communications, Inc,
Pownal, VT 05261.  Very simply, if you have composting (rotting) material and
it smells "good", like a rainy day walk in the woods, you have enough oxygen
for the process. If it stinks, you simply have to "air" it out. It is very
much like instructions for building a fire in a hearth. It is worth the
trouble, it is the most alchemical act-producing enriched soil from "waste".

Martha (Richard's spouse)

Regards, Richard

 
 
 

Newbie: Compost Bin Question

Post by Hilda Marsha » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 03:19:04


Quote:

>My yard isn't large, how far away from the house should
>a compost bin be located? What can be added to keep it
>from overpowering the scent of the flower beds? Is it
>really worth the trouble?

Hi, Dan!  So long as you don't put any fats, oils, meat,
or bones in it (egg shells are OK) it shouldn't smell at
all.  Ours doesn't.  If you're going to be putting big
stuff in like branches and orange peels, chop or break
them up first.  That's the only "trouble" involved - the
rest does itself (with a little help from wee beasties).

I live on the second floor, and have a compost pail on
the back porch for when I'm too lazy to bring the stuff
downstairs.  That doesn't smell either - just remember
to keep oils etc. out.

 
 
 

Newbie: Compost Bin Question

Post by Moira Carls » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 04:29:29



writes:

Quote:



> Posted: 13 Jan 1995 18:19:04 GMT

> Org.  : Elf Communications


> >My yard isn't large, how far away from the house should
> >a compost bin be located? What can be added to keep it
> >from overpowering the scent of the flower beds? Is it
> >really worth the trouble?

> Hi, Dan!  So long as you don't put any fats, oils, meat,
> or bones in it (egg shells are OK) it shouldn't smell at
> all.  Ours doesn't.  If you're going to be putting big
> stuff in like branches and orange peels, chop or break
> them up first.  That's the only "trouble" involved - the
> rest does itself (with a little help from wee beasties).

> I live on the second floor, and have a compost pail on
> the back porch for when I'm too lazy to bring the stuff
> downstairs.  That doesn't smell either - just remember
> to keep oils etc. out.

Hilda is absolutely right.  As long as you are careful about what you put
in your compost you shouldn't have a problem.

You ask "is it worth the trouble?"  The answer is a big "YES!"  Those
flower beds you mention will benefit enormously.  Five years ago our Garden
soil was a heavy compacted clay/silt.  Thanks to a combination of mulching
and composting our soil texture has improved greatly.  Any garden soil will
benefit by the addition of organic material (like compost), and the better
the soil the better success you will have with what you want to grow in it.

I also like the idea that in gardening there is no waste...

Cheers,
Moira

 
 
 

Newbie: Compost Bin Question

Post by Indy10 » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 15:17:15


Dan, Any good garden supply store in your area should have all the info
you want.  Yes, composting is worth it.  If managed properly, your compost
pile or bin should not have really bad odor.