Rat strange behavior

Description of your first forum.

Rat strange behavior

Post by Mark Ten » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:32:32



Hi

One of my rats is exhibiting strange behaviour. It has recently taken to
climbing to the very edge of the tank I keep it in, rests on the ledge, at
stares at me. After a while it starts vibrating its body, and chittering its
teeth. If I ingore it, it stop vibrating and chittering and then will
attempt to rest on the edge of the tank (but can't sleep easily as the ledge
is too narrow). If I pick it up, it behaves normally, but if I return it to
the inside of the cage, it will climb up to the top again. I know that rats
are great climbers and they have been doing this for a while - the climbing
itself is of no concern, but the vibrating and chittering is new. If I keep
returning it into the tank, it will eventually stop doing the climbing and
chittering thing.

Why is it doing this?

 
 
 

Rat strange behavior

Post by Mark Ten » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:39:52


Well here's the latest on the behavior. The rat (his name is Sir Joshua
Reynolds) has decided to scale the tank wall, climb down onto the table, and
up my arm (as I am typing this) onto my shoulder. I checked the food
container and it is full so I have no idea what it wants. I am not a female
rat, so it probably doesn't want that. My rats have never scaled their tank
before but this behavior has gotten me worried and I might need to cover the
top with a wire mesh (sigh).


Quote:
> Hi

> One of my rats is exhibiting strange behaviour. It has recently taken to
> climbing to the very edge of the tank I keep it in, rests on the ledge, at
> stares at me. After a while it starts vibrating its body, and chittering
its
> teeth. If I ingore it, it stop vibrating and chittering and then will
> attempt to rest on the edge of the tank (but can't sleep easily as the
ledge
> is too narrow). If I pick it up, it behaves normally, but if I return it
to
> the inside of the cage, it will climb up to the top again. I know that
rats
> are great climbers and they have been doing this for a while - the
climbing
> itself is of no concern, but the vibrating and chittering is new. If I
keep
> returning it into the tank, it will eventually stop doing the climbing and
> chittering thing.

> Why is it doing this?

 
 
 

Rat strange behavior

Post by J&S Bouchar » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:37:30



Quote:
> Well here's the latest on the behavior. The rat (his name is Sir Joshua
> Reynolds) has decided to scale the tank wall, climb down onto the table,
and
> up my arm (as I am typing this) onto my shoulder. I checked the food
> container and it is full so I have no idea what it wants. I am not a
female
> rat, so it probably doesn't want that. My rats have never scaled their
tank
> before but this behavior has gotten me worried and I might need to cover
the
> top with a wire mesh (sigh).




Mark... your rat is bruxing... if he was a cat, he would be purring... he
simply wants to be with you... He loves you as a companion... just love him
back!!
--
Joanne
Mom to 15 rats
http://community.webshots.com/user/joanneb70

remove "no spam"
 
 
 

Rat strange behavior

Post by Ratgir » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:15:18




Quote:

> Mark... your rat is bruxing... if he was a cat, he would be purring... he
> simply wants to be with you... He loves you as a companion... just love him
> back!!

Yes, what Joanne said .... sounds like he just wants to be with you :-)

Ra***. XX

--
http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

Rat strange behavior

Post by Mark Ten » Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:20:54


Yes it does seem that way. Sir Reynolds is the first rat I have had that
behaves this way. My others are quite happy to be out of their home
exploring during playtime but Sir Reynolds seems to be ***ed to my
shoulder. I've actually noticed this since he was a very young rat - he
wasn't shy like the others and kept coming to me. I accidentally got him
lost in the kitchen once but when I sat on the kitchen floor he came right
to me (I was predicting a long night with flashlights). I actually think if
only he had different coloration (he's a pretty ugly tan with no defined
pattern) he might actually be show rat quality. I never have the patience to
train my rats though.

Quote:


> > Mark... your rat is bruxing... if he was a cat, he would be purring...
he
> > simply wants to be with you... He loves you as a companion... just love
him
> > back!!

> Yes, what Joanne said .... sounds like he just wants to be with you :-)

> Ra***. XX

> --
> http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

Rat strange behavior

Post by SupraJul » Thu, 14 Aug 2003 04:30:24


Quote:
>Mark... your rat is bruxing... if he was a cat, he would be purring... he
>simply wants to be with you... He loves you as a companion... just love him
>back!!

My rat vibrates his tail when I rub the back of his neck and his ears. It
almost looks like he's having a partial seizure. He, like Mark's rat, is
exceptionally social... always climbing around me and across the keyboard when
I let him out.