What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Description of your first forum.

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Megha » Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:48:36



I am happy to announce I am getting my first ratties next week! (Two boys).
I have put together a list of supplies I will need for the homecoming and I
feel like I am forgetting something obvious.  I have had mice for a couple
of years so I'm not a total newbie, but I thought I'd run it by the experts:

Martins Cage 695
Wodent Wheel
Hammock
Water Bottle and brush
Carefresh
Microfiber towels
1 hide box
1*** bird toy thing to swing on
Lab block/commerical food (which will be supplemented with fresh)

????

Thanks, Meghan

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Tiger Spo » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:00:47


On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:48:36 GMT, "Meghan"


Quote:
>I am happy to announce I am getting my first ratties next week! (Two boys).
>I have put together a list of supplies I will need for the homecoming and I
>feel like I am forgetting something obvious.  I have had mice for a couple
>of years so I'm not a total newbie, but I thought I'd run it by the experts:

>Martins Cage 695
>Wodent Wheel
>Hammock
>Water Bottle and brush
>Carefresh
>Microfiber towels
>1 hide box
>1*** bird toy thing to swing on
>Lab block/commerical food (which will be supplemented with fresh)

>????

You might want a small cage and water bottle in case a rat gets sick
or injured and needs to be kept isolated for a while.  If you've had
mice for a while, you may already have something like a 10 or 20
gallon aquarium that would do.

--Theresa
http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Sue Schult » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:18:16


How about a litter pan?  All my ratties are litter trained and it sure keeps
the cage cleaner.  I discovered that my boys only pooped in the one and peed
up on a ledge....so I got another litter pan and put it where they pee and
lo and behold, they now pee in the litter!  Yeah!
Good luck with your new boys.
Sue

Quote:
> I am happy to announce I am getting my first ratties next week! (Two
boys).
> I have put together a list of supplies I will need for the homecoming and
I
> feel like I am forgetting something obvious.  I have had mice for a couple
> of years so I'm not a total newbie, but I thought I'd run it by the
experts:

> Martins Cage 695
> Wodent Wheel
> Hammock
> Water Bottle and brush
> Carefresh
> Microfiber towels
> 1 hide box
> 1*** bird toy thing to swing on
> Lab block/commerical food (which will be supplemented with fresh)

> ????

> Thanks, Meghan

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Megha » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:50:18


Dear Sue,

I would *love* to litter train my new ratties.  I have read some articles
about how to do this, and I know from my mice that they do tend to go in one
place.  How big are your litter pans?  I looked at one today but wasn't sure
if it was too small, too big or what?!  I am getting the Martins 695 which
is a good size cage, so I should have room.  Are yours triagular or square?
Do you have any tips or a link to a good article on this?  I am getting them
from a young age, so I should have luck starting early.

Thanks,
Meghan


Quote:
> How about a litter pan?  All my ratties are litter trained and it sure
keeps
> the cage cleaner.  I discovered that my boys only pooped in the one and
peed
> up on a ledge....so I got another litter pan and put it where they pee and
> lo and behold, they now pee in the litter!  Yeah!
> Good luck with your new boys.
> Sue


> > I am happy to announce I am getting my first ratties next week! (Two
> boys).
> > I have put together a list of supplies I will need for the homecoming
and
> I
> > feel like I am forgetting something obvious.  I have had mice for a
couple
> > of years so I'm not a total newbie, but I thought I'd run it by the
> experts:

> > Martins Cage 695
> > Wodent Wheel
> > Hammock
> > Water Bottle and brush
> > Carefresh
> > Microfiber towels
> > 1 hide box
> > 1*** bird toy thing to swing on
> > Lab block/commerical food (which will be supplemented with fresh)

> > ????

> > Thanks, Meghan

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Akash » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:31:59


do you have a dish for the food?
-Lauren*^_^*


Quote:
> I am happy to announce I am getting my first ratties next week! (Two
boys).
> I have put together a list of supplies I will need for the homecoming and
I
> feel like I am forgetting something obvious.  I have had mice for a couple
> of years so I'm not a total newbie, but I thought I'd run it by the
experts:

> Martins Cage 695
> Wodent Wheel
> Hammock
> Water Bottle and brush
> Carefresh
> Microfiber towels
> 1 hide box
> 1*** bird toy thing to swing on
> Lab block/commerical food (which will be supplemented with fresh)

> ????

> Thanks, Meghan

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by pagh » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:57:23


Bath bowls or bath trays.

Baby rats like to play in the water. If they are not exposed to water to
play in when young, they may grow up afraid of standing water. But rats
are actually great swimmers & should be encouraged to wade & splash. Bowls
of water can be placed with young rats four or five times a week for short
periods, so that arrival of the water bowl is soon received as a novel
playtime stimulating their little minds.

-paghat the ra***

--
"Of what are you afraid, my child?" inquired the kindly teacher.
"Oh, sir! The flowers, they are wild," replied the timid creature.
   -from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ra***: http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Sue Schult » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:21:09


Hi Meghan,  I have 2 Martins 695.  The boys have 2 litter pans since they
pee in one spot and poop in the other.  I use a triangle ferret litter pan
usually found in any pet store.  I also found more of a tri-rectangular one
that fits really nice on the second shelf.  Both litter pans have little
clips that hook onto the cage so they can't be flipped over.
As far as training them...they really trained themselves!  I started right
away (once they start moving and eating on their own). I would check to see
where I thought they went the most and put the pan there.  I would take some
poo turds and put them in the litter.  They'll get the hang of it before you
know it.
I'm probably going to get flack for this, but I started with regular
NON-clumping litter.  Once they get used to it and I can see they are not
eating it, I changed to a mix of non-clumping and clumping.  It really helps
to get the urine out.  Otherwise, it would just break apart.  Then everyday
I would use a slotted spoon small enough so the poo doesn't fall through,
and scoop out the waste.  They even get mad when I don't do it early enough!
Good luck with your training....don't give up, they WILL get the hang of it.
Take care,
Sue

Quote:
> Dear Sue,

> I would *love* to litter train my new ratties.  I have read some articles
> about how to do this, and I know from my mice that they do tend to go in
one
> place.  How big are your litter pans?  I looked at one today but wasn't
sure
> if it was too small, too big or what?!  I am getting the Martins 695 which
> is a good size cage, so I should have room.  Are yours triagular or
square?
> Do you have any tips or a link to a good article on this?  I am getting
them
> from a young age, so I should have luck starting early.

> Thanks,
> Meghan



> > How about a litter pan?  All my ratties are litter trained and it sure
> keeps
> > the cage cleaner.  I discovered that my boys only pooped in the one and
> peed
> > up on a ledge....so I got another litter pan and put it where they pee
and
> > lo and behold, they now pee in the litter!  Yeah!
> > Good luck with your new boys.
> > Sue


> > > I am happy to announce I am getting my first ratties next week! (Two
> > boys).
> > > I have put together a list of supplies I will need for the homecoming
> and
> > I
> > > feel like I am forgetting something obvious.  I have had mice for a
> couple
> > > of years so I'm not a total newbie, but I thought I'd run it by the
> > experts:

> > > Martins Cage 695
> > > Wodent Wheel
> > > Hammock
> > > Water Bottle and brush
> > > Carefresh
> > > Microfiber towels
> > > 1 hide box
> > > 1*** bird toy thing to swing on
> > > Lab block/commerical food (which will be supplemented with fresh)

> > > ????

> > > Thanks, Meghan

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Trace » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:53:46



Quote:
> Dear Sue,

> I would *love* to litter train my new ratties.  I have read some articles
> about how to do this, and I know from my mice that they do tend to go in
one
> place.  How big are your litter pans?  I looked at one today but wasn't
sure
> if it was too small, too big or what?!  I am getting the Martins 695 which
> is a good size cage, so I should have room.  Are yours triagular or
square?
> Do you have any tips or a link to a good article on this?  I am getting
them
> from a young age, so I should have luck starting early.

> Thanks,
> Meghan

I use a cheap oven tray for their litter tray, it was a lot cheaper than
buying a custom made small animal litter tray and it does the job perfectly.

Tracey

 
 
 

What am I forgetting? - first rat supplies

Post by Kate » Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:46:42


I use 2L Plastic Ice-cream containers for Rat Toilets.  I also Peg one side
to the cage to stop it being kicked over..:)

Quote:



> > Dear Sue,

> > I would *love* to litter train my new ratties.  I have read some
articles
> > about how to do this, and I know from my mice that they do tend to go in
> one
> > place.  How big are your litter pans?  I looked at one today but wasn't
> sure
> > if it was too small, too big or what?!  I am getting the Martins 695
which
> > is a good size cage, so I should have room.  Are yours triagular or
> square?
> > Do you have any tips or a link to a good article on this?  I am getting
> them
> > from a young age, so I should have luck starting early.

> > Thanks,
> > Meghan

> I use a cheap oven tray for their litter tray, it was a lot cheaper than
> buying a custom made small animal litter tray and it does the job
perfectly.

> Tracey