Boy Rat Behavior

Description of your first forum.

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by jennjenn84 via PetKB.co » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:44:21



So I now have two boys, and I am letting them play (under strict supervision
only), and I noticed a few things that I dont know if they are normal. I've
had Scooter for a few weeks now, and he is the bigger of the two rats.  The
baby (who hasnt been named yet) is smaller than Scoot, and I notice that
Scoot tends to run on the baby, use him as a climbing post/ step stool.  He
did some serious cleaning of the baby's back earlier, and tends to go up to
him when he is cleaning himself, or even just heing alone and trying to sleep
on the couch and moves him by running into him, pushing hi with his head,
squeezing between him and the couch, basically doing what I would call a big
brother being annoying to a little brother.  Is this normal?  Also, when the
two are sepearte, the baby is super active, and Scoot is slower and doesnt do
much other than sleep, but when they are together, the baby does nothing than
sleep, and Scoot is crazy hyper.  Is this normal?  I am worried because it
kind of seems like Scoot is taking advantge of the baby since he is bigger.
I know you guys have lots of experience of this, so I am hoping to get some
great help from you guys.  Thanks

--
Message posted via http://www.petkb.com

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by Joann » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:38:04


Quote:

> So I now have two boys, and I am letting them play (under strict supervision
> only), and I noticed a few things that I dont know if they are normal. I've
> had Scooter for a few weeks now, and he is the bigger of the two rats.  The
> baby (who hasnt been named yet) is smaller than Scoot, and I notice that
> Scoot tends to run on the baby, use him as a climbing post/ step stool.  He
> did some serious cleaning of the baby's back earlier, and tends to go up to
> him when he is cleaning himself, or even just heing alone and trying to sleep
> on the couch and moves him by running into him, pushing hi with his head,
> squeezing between him and the couch, basically doing what I would call a big
> brother being annoying to a little brother.  Is this normal?  Also, when the
> two are sepearte, the baby is super active, and Scoot is slower and doesnt do
> much other than sleep, but when they are together, the baby does nothing than
> sleep, and Scoot is crazy hyper.  Is this normal?  I am worried because it
> kind of seems like Scoot is taking advantge of the baby since he is bigger.
> I know you guys have lots of experience of this, so I am hoping to get some
> great help from you guys.  Thanks

It does sound to me like Scoot is being *** over baby boy. But this
is normal behaviour. Baby boy is quiet around Scoot because that's what
he needs to do with the alpha. So far it sounds like intros are going good.

--
Joanne
Owned by 26 rats.
Webshots: http://www.moonsgarden.com/

-------------------------------------------------------
~Ignorance is not innocence but sin. *Robert Browning*

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by jennjenn84 via PetKB.co » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:50:09


Do you think I should continue to keep them in seperate cages, or in seperate
rooms?  When Minion died I took Scoot in to the vet and she said he might
have an upper resperatory infection, and to be on the safe side she wanted to
give him two kinds of meds, again, to be on the safe side.  As of now there
is no red on either nose, though the baby does have a weird thing where when
he sneezes but its kind of like a blowing of the nose kind of thing.  Right
now they are in seperate rooms and in seperate cages, which makes Scooter sad,
and I think it makes the baby sad too (as he had friends before).  I'm not
worried in the least that they will fight or anything.  I'm worried about the
illness' being passed around.  Here is the next question for everyone :
Should I keep them in seperate cages, seperate rooms?  And if so how long?

--
Message posted via PetKB.com
http://www.petkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/rat/200707/1

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by Phoenix Moo » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:53:45



Quote:

> > So I now have two boys, and I am letting them play (under strict supervision
> > only), and I noticed a few things that I dont know if they are normal. I've
> > had Scooter for a few weeks now, and he is the bigger of the two rats.  The
> > baby (who hasnt been named yet) is smaller than Scoot, and I notice that
> > Scoot tends to run on the baby, use him as a climbing post/ step stool.  He
> > did some serious cleaning of the baby's back earlier, and tends to go up to
> > him when he is cleaning himself, or even just heing alone and trying to sleep
> > on the couch and moves him by running into him, pushing hi with his head,
> > squeezing between him and the couch, basically doing what I would call a big
> > brother being annoying to a little brother.  Is this normal?  Also, when the
> > two are sepearte, the baby is super active, and Scoot is slower and doesnt do
> > much other than sleep, but when they are together, the baby does nothing than
> > sleep, and Scoot is crazy hyper.  Is this normal?  I am worried because it
> > kind of seems like Scoot is taking advantge of the baby since he is bigger.
> > I know you guys have lots of experience of this, so I am hoping to get some
> > great help from you guys.  Thanks

> It does sound to me like Scoot is being *** over baby boy. But this
> is normal behaviour. Baby boy is quiet around Scoot because that's what
> he needs to do with the alpha. So far it sounds like intros are going good.

> --
> Joanne
> Owned by 26 rats.
> Webshots:http://www.moonsgarden.com/

> -------------------------------------------------------
> ~Ignorance is not innocence but sin. *Robert Browning*- Hide quoted text -

> - Show quoted text -

I agree with Joanne. From your description, it doen't sound like
anything he is doing is *agressive* towards the little guy, and the
little guy is doing exactly what he's supposed to.

Jack and Rocky are littermates, same size, been together since birth-
and they use eachother as steps, ladders- but Jack is more ***
than Rocky. When there is *any question*, Rocky rolls over and Jack
grooms his belly.

There are a few short articles online about behaviors to watch out
for. If you'd like the links I'll be happy to post them. From
everything I have read and been told, *usually* a problem only happens
when the subserviant guy doesn't act subserviant but even then *most
times* it is worked out quickly, without any major problems- and that
is normal behavior also.

I'm so happy you got Scooter a friend. I'm sure he is very happy too.
Hopefully everything will be ok with him :)

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by Kate » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:25:09


Quote:

> So I now have two boys, and I am letting them play (under strict supervision
> only), and I noticed a few things that I dont know if they are normal. I've
> had Scooter for a few weeks now, and he is the bigger of the two rats.  The
> baby (who hasnt been named yet) is smaller than Scoot, and I notice that
> Scoot tends to run on the baby, use him as a climbing post/ step stool.  He
> did some serious cleaning of the baby's back earlier, and tends to go up to
> him when he is cleaning himself, or even just heing alone and trying to sleep
> on the couch and moves him by running into him, pushing hi with his head,
> squeezing between him and the couch, basically doing what I would call a big
> brother being annoying to a little brother.  Is this normal?  Also, when the
> two are sepearte, the baby is super active, and Scoot is slower and doesnt do
> much other than sleep, but when they are together, the baby does nothing than
> sleep, and Scoot is crazy hyper.  Is this normal?  I am worried because it
> kind of seems like Scoot is taking advantge of the baby since he is bigger.
> I know you guys have lots of experience of this, so I am hoping to get some
> great help from you guys.  Thanks

Sounds like everything is going fine :))  Gotta love the Bolshy ***
ones :)

Regards Kate

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by Kate » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:27:27


Quote:

> Do you think I should continue to keep them in seperate cages, or in seperate
> rooms?  When Minion died I took Scoot in to the vet and she said he might
> have an upper resperatory infection, and to be on the safe side she wanted to
> give him two kinds of meds, again, to be on the safe side.  As of now there
> is no red on either nose, though the baby does have a weird thing where when
> he sneezes but its kind of like a blowing of the nose kind of thing.  Right
> now they are in seperate rooms and in seperate cages, which makes Scooter sad,
> and I think it makes the baby sad too (as he had friends before).  I'm not
> worried in the least that they will fight or anything.  I'm worried about the
> illness' being passed around.  Here is the next question for everyone :
> Should I keep them in seperate cages, seperate rooms?  And if so how long?

If they were my boys?... they would be together now :)  They seem to
have the *** issue well in hand.  I wouldn't worry too much about
the respiratory disease thing, as its a given that all Rats carry  myco
but it flares up under stress etc.  If there are no signs of obvious
illness then I would have them together.

Regards Kate

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by jennjenn84 via PetKB.co » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:00:34


Thanks for all the responces.  I kept them apart last night just to be sure.
Today I put them together, and are doing great.  They play, but there is
never anything to make me worried.  There have been absolutly no squeeking,
or anything like that to make me worried.  I sat and watched them most of
yesterday night and for about an hour this morning. They are cute and playful
and love to sleep all balled up together.  Man do they go through the water
though.  I have a 4 oz bottle, and man, they go through like half a bottle a
day together.  I guess that's good though since I dont think that Minion ever
drank anything.  I also am quite happy that they are active together since
Minion and Scoot never played together.  I think that he knew Minion was sick,
so he left him alone.  These two play and fight for my attention when I come
up to the cage.  I think I am going to name the little one Scamp, and call
him Scat for short... just because Scoot and Scamp go together perfectly.  

So here is the latest thing.  When Scoot comes out of his cage he loves to
cuddle and what not.  When I take Scamp out he poops all over me.  Like I
cant even walk the like 5 feet to my couch without him pooping.  Any ideas?

--
Message posted via PetKB.com
http://www.petkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/rat/200707/1

 
 
 

Boy Rat Behavior

Post by Kate » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:30:42


He may be a little scared?

regards Kate

Quote:

> Thanks for all the responces.  I kept them apart last night just to be sure.
> Today I put them together, and are doing great.  They play, but there is
> never anything to make me worried.  There have been absolutly no squeeking,
> or anything like that to make me worried.  I sat and watched them most of
> yesterday night and for about an hour this morning. They are cute and playful
> and love to sleep all balled up together.  Man do they go through the water
> though.  I have a 4 oz bottle, and man, they go through like half a bottle a
> day together.  I guess that's good though since I dont think that Minion ever
> drank anything.  I also am quite happy that they are active together since
> Minion and Scoot never played together.  I think that he knew Minion was sick,
> so he left him alone.  These two play and fight for my attention when I come
> up to the cage.  I think I am going to name the little one Scamp, and call
> him Scat for short... just because Scoot and Scamp go together perfectly.  

> So here is the latest thing.  When Scoot comes out of his cage he loves to
> cuddle and what not.  When I take Scamp out he poops all over me.  Like I
> cant even walk the like 5 feet to my couch without him pooping.  Any ideas?