Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Description of your first forum.

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by Carol » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 02:52:09



I like Fear Factor... but I certainly won't watch it tonight, and I'm
even thinking of sending them an email about what they are about to
show tonight.

Tonight, contestants will have to move dead rats from one bucket to
another using their mouth.

Needless to say, I am appalled! Now I know that rats are not as
popular a pet as dogs and cats, but the general public would be
outraged if they did it with other slightly unusual pets like, say,
chinchillas or parrots.

It's just hard to think of what they did when I just lovingly burried
one of my rats 10 days ago... I wish so much that all those
rat-hating/rat-disgusted people could witness the wonderful
personalities of pet rats, and how affectionate and playful they are.

Take a look, if you can stomach it, and send them some feedback:

http://www.fearfactor.com/
--

Carole
____________ ____ ___ __ __  _   _

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by zac » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:21:48


Quote:

> I like Fear Factor... but I certainly won't watch it tonight, and I'm
> even thinking of sending them an email about what they are about to
> show tonight.

> Tonight, contestants will have to move dead rats from one bucket to
> another using their mouth.

> Needless to say, I am appalled! Now I know that rats are not as
> popular a pet as dogs and cats, but the general public would be
> outraged if they did it with other slightly unusual pets like, say,
> chinchillas or parrots.

> It's just hard to think of what they did when I just lovingly burried
> one of my rats 10 days ago... I wish so much that all those
> rat-hating/rat-disgusted people could witness the wonderful
> personalities of pet rats, and how affectionate and playful they are.

> Take a look, if you can stomach it, and send them some feedback:

> http://www.fearfactor.com/

Dead rats? Bah! If FF were any kind of _real_ reality show, the rats
would still be alive... and domesticated. Perhaps rabid.

In any case,

Recent rat-sightings:

- On Charmed, the rat-demon guys had a cameo (somehow, they don't seem
threatening, only when they are in "human" form).

- At work, someone asked if I had rats for sale. I said "no" and was
pointed to a bulletin board, where someone else has Siamese Rex Dumbo
rats for sale, $10/ a piece. Arwen, Angel, and Gallie (especially her,
the little disobedient girl didn't come in last night, and I had
trouble finally catching her this morning before work) are looking a
little boring, just being standard hooded and all. Gallie and Arwen
even look alike from a distance w/out my glasses one. They are lucky I
love them so much. Siamese marking sound coooool. I kind of miss my
cinnamon Princess Sarah, and lilac colored Louise, even if they did
look like barn rats. A little variety is always nice.

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by zac » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:22:22


Quote:

> I like Fear Factor... but I certainly won't watch it tonight, and I'm
> even thinking of sending them an email about what they are about to
> show tonight.

> Tonight, contestants will have to move dead rats from one bucket to
> another using their mouth.

> Needless to say, I am appalled! Now I know that rats are not as
> popular a pet as dogs and cats, but the general public would be
> outraged if they did it with other slightly unusual pets like, say,
> chinchillas or parrots.

> It's just hard to think of what they did when I just lovingly burried
> one of my rats 10 days ago... I wish so much that all those
> rat-hating/rat-disgusted people could witness the wonderful
> personalities of pet rats, and how affectionate and playful they are.

> Take a look, if you can stomach it, and send them some feedback:

> http://www.fearfactor.com/

Darn, I meant "undomesticated."
 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by zac » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:44:04


Quote:
> Tonight, contestants will have to move dead rats from one bucket to
> another using their mouth.

> Needless to say, I am appalled! Now I know that rats are not as
> popular a pet as dogs and cats, but the general public would be
> outraged if they did it with other slightly unusual pets like, say,
> chinchillas or parrots.

> It's just hard to think of what they did when I just lovingly burried
> one of my rats 10 days ago... I wish so much that all those
> rat-hating/rat-disgusted people could witness the wonderful
> personalities of pet rats, and how affectionate and playful they are.

> Take a look, if you can stomach it, and send them some feedback:

> http://www.fearfactor.com/

(this could start a flame-war, but...)

Being the sick bastid that I am, I watched the show until this segment
came on. It didn't occur to me where they would get dead rats, from an
exterminator, I thought naively. No, they got frozen rats from a
reptile food supplier. It was pretty sick, seeing dead ratties the
size and color of Gallie and Arwen lying there dead and stiff. I can't
imagine they are frozen humanely. When they started grabbing them and
trying to spit them over a barrier into barrels, I stopped watching.
Blame FF? No. Perhaps people who keep reptiles, though. Where do we
draw the line at what is "civiliz(s)ed?"
People in SE Asia eat animals that we in the west keep as pet
companions. Are they wrong? Are we for judging them? There is probably
no right or wrong, other than I choose not to contribute to it.

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by u.. » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:08:28


 > There is probably
 > no right or wrong,

Watching TV is WRONG.

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by zac » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:16:34


Quote:

> > There is probably
>  > no right or wrong,

> Watching TV is WRONG.

I thought so for years. After spending a few thousand dollars on the
daily paper, at blockbuster and Tower Books, I opted to get a $20 set
of rabbit ears. For almost 18 years, I held out watching tv, for the
most part, or even having one. In the end, I succumbed to our
dumbed-down culture. Funny thing, culture: it's either empty
elementary idiotic pablum for the proles, or elitist blow-hard
arrogant anti-egalitarian bullsh*t vanity. Is there ever a balance?
 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by Joe Deniso » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:22:22



Quote:

> > There is probably
> > no right or wrong,

> Watching TV is WRONG.

THE VOICE OF REASON SPEAKS!

I whole-heartedly agree. Turn off the tube, pick up a pet, a good booke, a glass
of wine and enjoy the evening! Unless, of course, you're under the legal age
to drink *** for your country, in which case, a glass of sparkling grape
juice will do almost as well.

Just my $.02,
Joe Denison

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by J Kelle » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:06:46


Quote:


>>>There is probably

>> > no right or wrong,

>>Watching TV is WRONG.

> I thought so for years. After spending a few thousand dollars on the
> daily paper, at blockbuster and Tower Books, I opted to get a $20 set
> of rabbit ears. For almost 18 years, I held out watching tv, for the
> most part, or even having one. In the end, I succumbed to our
> dumbed-down culture. Funny thing, culture: it's either empty
> elementary idiotic pablum for the proles, or elitist blow-hard
> arrogant anti-egalitarian bullsh*t vanity. Is there ever a balance?

No, there is not.  From what I have seen, popular "culture" (I am what
most Russians would call "nekulturny," but I get along with the ones I
have known anyhow,) is merely a sham.  I have difficulty understanding
the reason for its popularity.  "Friends?"  Bah.  "Reality TV?"  Not
even close.  The more it goes in this direction, the more boring it will
get.  I miss shows like "The Prisoner," where there could be so much
happening on so many levels.  Even the mindless comedy I once enjoyed
has strayed entirely too far into mindlessness, and really is no longer
funny.  What happened?  Has humanity (especially in America) really
become this pathetically stupid?  If it were strictly up to me, I would
have cancelled the cable long ago and probably sold most of the TV sets
here.  I'd sooner do something - anything - more stimulating that
wasting time (and living brain cells!) in front of the electronic
babysitter.  I honestly think that while entertainment media are not
strictly responsible for the increase in *** proclivities in the
world, the television and the drivel it spouts are almost wholly
responsible for the "dumbing down" many of us have been watching for the
last 20-25 years.  I am willing (and waiting!) to be proven wrong...

JDKelley, wife, and "kids" (Rizzo(d), Stubby(d), Princess, and Angel.)

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by zac » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:22:08


Quote:



> >>>There is probably

> >> > no right or wrong,

> >>Watching TV is WRONG.

> > I thought so for years. After spending a few thousand dollars on the
> > daily paper, at blockbuster and Tower Books, I opted to get a $20 set
> > of rabbit ears. For almost 18 years, I held out watching tv, for the
> > most part, or even having one. In the end, I succumbed to our
> > dumbed-down culture. Funny thing, culture: it's either empty
> > elementary idiotic pablum for the proles, or elitist blow-hard
> > arrogant anti-egalitarian bullsh*t vanity. Is there ever a balance?

> No, there is not.  From what I have seen, popular "culture" (I am what
> most Russians would call "nekulturny," but I get along with the ones I
> have known anyhow,) is merely a sham.  I have difficulty understanding
> the reason for its popularity.  "Friends?"  Bah.  "Reality TV?"  Not
> even close.  The more it goes in this direction, the more boring it will
> get.  I miss shows like "The Prisoner," where there could be so much
> happening on so many levels.  Even the mindless comedy I once enjoyed
> has strayed entirely too far into mindlessness, and really is no longer
> funny.  What happened?  Has humanity (especially in America) really
> become this pathetically stupid?  If it were strictly up to me, I would
> have cancelled the cable long ago and probably sold most of the TV sets
> here.  I'd sooner do something - anything - more stimulating that
> wasting time (and living brain cells!) in front of the electronic
> babysitter.  I honestly think that while entertainment media are not
> strictly responsible for the increase in *** proclivities in the
> world, the television and the drivel it spouts are almost wholly
> responsible for the "dumbing down" many of us have been watching for the
> last 20-25 years.  I am willing (and waiting!) to be proven wrong...

For some reason, I tuned into the High School Reunion show when it
debuted. I confess I found it kind of compelling, and watched the next
two episodes. I happened to call my friend's little sister the last
night to say 'hi' when it turns out she was watching the same show,
and she loved it. She is a very pretty, fairly smart young woman 7
years my junior. Despite that, in her mid-20, she is still stuck in
the same small-town county where she grew up. Has jobs, but no career.
No school past high school, not even junior college. Loves to party.
No real aspirations other than getting by, and watching eMpTyV, HSR
and the like.

I have stopped watching. At least she was pleased that I got her a
book for Christmas, so there is some hope....

Quote:

> JDKelley, wife, and "kids" (Rizzo(d), Stubby(d), Princess, and Angel.)

Rizzo(d) was my first rat. Princess Sarah (Hebrew for "princess"), was
one of the next, and one of my current ones is Angel.

You're not stalking me, are you?

(goes to make aluminum foil helmet)

 
 
 

Boycotting Fear Factor tonight!

Post by JDKelle » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:18:29


Quote:




>>>>>There is probably

>>>>>no right or wrong,

>>>>Watching TV is WRONG.

>>>I thought so for years. After spending a few thousand dollars on the
>>>daily paper, at blockbuster and Tower Books, I opted to get a $20 set
>>>of rabbit ears. For almost 18 years, I held out watching tv, for the
>>>most part, or even having one. In the end, I succumbed to our
>>>dumbed-down culture. Funny thing, culture: it's either empty
>>>elementary idiotic pablum for the proles, or elitist blow-hard
>>>arrogant anti-egalitarian bullsh*t vanity. Is there ever a balance?

>>No, there is not.  From what I have seen, popular "culture" (I am what
>>most Russians would call "nekulturny," but I get along with the ones I
>>have known anyhow,) is merely a sham.  I have difficulty understanding
>>the reason for its popularity.  "Friends?"  Bah.  "Reality TV?"  Not
>>even close.  The more it goes in this direction, the more boring it will
>>get.  I miss shows like "The Prisoner," where there could be so much
>>happening on so many levels.  Even the mindless comedy I once enjoyed
>>has strayed entirely too far into mindlessness, and really is no longer
>>funny.  What happened?  Has humanity (especially in America) really
>>become this pathetically stupid?  If it were strictly up to me, I would
>>have cancelled the cable long ago and probably sold most of the TV sets
>>here.  I'd sooner do something - anything - more stimulating that
>>wasting time (and living brain cells!) in front of the electronic
>>babysitter.  I honestly think that while entertainment media are not
>>strictly responsible for the increase in *** proclivities in the
>>world, the television and the drivel it spouts are almost wholly
>>responsible for the "dumbing down" many of us have been watching for the
>>last 20-25 years.  I am willing (and waiting!) to be proven wrong...

> For some reason, I tuned into the High School Reunion show when it
> debuted. I confess I found it kind of compelling, and watched the next
> two episodes. I happened to call my friend's little sister the last
> night to say 'hi' when it turns out she was watching the same show,
> and she loved it. She is a very pretty, fairly smart young woman 7
> years my junior. Despite that, in her mid-20, she is still stuck in
> the same small-town county where she grew up. Has jobs, but no career.
> No school past high school, not even junior college. Loves to party.
> No real aspirations other than getting by, and watching eMpTyV, HSR
> and the like.

> I have stopped watching. At least she was pleased that I got her a
> book for Christmas, so there is some hope....

>>JDKelley, wife, and "kids" (Rizzo(d), Stubby(d), Princess, and Angel.)

> Rizzo(d) was my first rat. Princess Sarah (Hebrew for "princess"), was
> one of the next, and one of my current ones is Angel.

> You're not stalking me, are you?

> (goes to make aluminum foil helmet)

Nah - I've got enough to do.  I need to update the kids, tho - we lost
Princess 15FEB2003-0100.  She finally went peacefully to her reward, and
was loved to the end.

What is it about losing a rat that just tears my heart out?

JDKelley, wife, & kids (Rizzo[d,] Stubby [d,] Princess [d,] & Angel.  I
know, we need to get buddies for Angel sometime soon...)