Under tank heaters for rats?

Description of your first forum.

Under tank heaters for rats?

Post by Loxenfo » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:24:10



Hi everyone,

Anyone have a "under tank" heater for their ratties? I was thinking of
getting one, but wasn't sure if this would promote bacteria growth (more
than normal) in the litter.
If so, I'd love to hear what success you've had with it. I can imagine rats
would like a nice warm spot to curl up.

Take care,

Loxenfox

 
 
 

Under tank heaters for rats?

Post by Jeroen Wijnand » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:56:32


Quote:

> Hi everyone,

> Anyone have a "under tank" heater for their ratties? I was thinking of
> getting one, but wasn't sure if this would promote bacteria growth (more
> than normal) in the litter.
> If so, I'd love to hear what success you've had with it. I can imagine rats
> would like a nice warm spot to curl up.

> Take care,

> Loxenfox

How 'bout a lamp? Or even a hot water bottle?
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best Regards
Jeroen Wijnands
http://ratten.pagina.nl
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands
-- 80% spam kill ratio since december 1995 --
(replace wijnands.xs4all.nl with xs4all.nl to reply)
 
 
 

Under tank heaters for rats?

Post by Loxenfo » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:13:06



Quote:
> How 'bout a lamp? Or even a hot water bottle?

Both very good suggestions. ^_^ But I wanted to place something under/next
to the cage that can be left on all the time. (a light might bother their
eyes when they are trying to sleep and a hot water bottle would get cold
after a while.) I'd like to try using an "under tank" heater, but cant find
out if there are any drawbacks. (so I'm guessing there are none?)  Basically
its a flat heating pad that you slide under a corner of the cage and plug
into the wall. (No wires or fake rocks for the rats to chew on, since its
outside of the cage.) It looks so ideal. I can imagine rats would like it
very much. I just wanted to see if anyone had any drawbacks from using one.
^_^

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I'll follow it, and use a water
bottle temporarily. Thank you for the idea!

Loxenfox

 
 
 

Under tank heaters for rats?

Post by Moonligh » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:08:28


I don't see how external pads can be a problem as long as they don't heat
up too much.

Here, my room temperature is about 20C and my rat spends most of her time
next to the window where it's at least 5C cooler so, not all rats will go
to the hotter place.



Quote:



>> How 'bout a lamp? Or even a hot water bottle?

>Both very good suggestions. ^_^ But I wanted to place something under/next
>to the cage that can be left on all the time. (a light might bother their
>eyes when they are trying to sleep and a hot water bottle would get cold
>after a while.) I'd like to try using an "under tank" heater, but cant find
>out if there are any drawbacks. (so I'm guessing there are none?)  Basically
>its a flat heating pad that you slide under a corner of the cage and plug
>into the wall. (No wires or fake rocks for the rats to chew on, since its
>outside of the cage.) It looks so ideal. I can imagine rats would like it
>very much. I just wanted to see if anyone had any drawbacks from using one.
>^_^

>Thank you very much for your suggestion, I'll follow it, and use a water
>bottle temporarily. Thank you for the idea!

>Loxenfox

 
 
 

Under tank heaters for rats?

Post by Jess » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:40:51


I have tried an undertank heater for my ratties and they hated it.  As soon
as they warmed up they wouldn,t go back to that side of their enclosure.  My
understanding is that rats are more tolerable to cold than to heat.  After
all rats are warm-***ed and don't have to thermoregulate like a snake or
lizard would.  Laters,
--
Jesse
`You see, it's not the *** you spill that gets you what you want.
 It's the *** you share, your family, your friendships, your community.
 These are the most valuable things a man can have.'  Unknown


Quote:

> > Hi everyone,

> > Anyone have a "under tank" heater for their ratties? I was thinking of
> > getting one, but wasn't sure if this would promote bacteria growth (more
> > than normal) in the litter.
> > If so, I'd love to hear what success you've had with it. I can imagine
rats
> > would like a nice warm spot to curl up.

> > Take care,

> > Loxenfox

> How 'bout a lamp? Or even a hot water bottle?
> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten/Best Regards
> Jeroen Wijnands
> http://www.moonsgarden.com/
> http://www.moonsgarden.com/~wijnands
> -- 80% spam kill ratio since december 1995 --
> (replace wijnands.xs4all.nl with xs4all.nl to reply)