How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Description of your first forum.

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Marth » Sun, 05 Oct 2003 15:14:58



Hi All,

It has always been my plan to adopt a bunny friend for Aimee (hopefully the
tech wreck to be over *real* soon and I'll be able to become gainfully
employed again <g> in the meantime I spend a lot of time with her so that
she isn't too lonely), but there are a few criteria that make me wonder what
the best way to go about it would be. I figured I would start the process
now so that I'll be ready when the right bunny hops along.

As I've mentioned previously, Aimee is a Mini-Rex. The reason why I got her
specifically (besides falling head over heels in love with her on first
sight <g>) is because I have a fair number of allergies, and I have reacted
to other bunnies in the past, but she passed the test, thankfully. I still
react a bit, but as long as I don't need to make nightly visits to the
hospital, I'll suffer - the rewards are worth it and then some. :-)

I'm guessing that the reason I don't react to her as much is her shorter fur
and she doesn't seem to shed as much as some of you have indicated your buns
do. Is the fact that she is a "she" also a factor, the way it is for cats?
(Male cats cause greater problems for allergy sufferers due to their
glandular secretions.) I'm curious about this because my first choice would
be to attempt bonding her with a male bunny. As you know, she has recently
been spayed, and a male would be neutered if he had not already had the
surgery.

Are there any other bunny breeds that you can think of that has fur on the
shorter side, and that isn't too large in size that I should consider? I
think I could handle a bunny up to about 7 pounds - after that, I would be
concerned about being able to lift him in a carrier if it were necessary.
I'm quite partial to Holland Lops (they are the smallest of the Lop breeds
without being a dwarf bunny, aren't they?) but I'm not sure what the fur
situation is like.

I would very much like to adopt a rescue bunny, but so far I haven't seen
anything that would fit the parameters. I have been keeping an eye on the
Humane Society webpages for all of eastern and southern Ontario. Any
suggestions on how I could go about this process would be greatly
appreciated. Should I be looking for a breeder instead?

Take care,
Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Christina Kenned » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:00:03


Quote:
>Are there any other bunny breeds that you can think of that has fur on the
>shorter side, and that isn't too large in size that I should consider?

I would suggest that you look for another Mini Rex or Rex - their fur
is better for allergic people to tolerate.
 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Sue Frenc » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:29:47


I recently read about some breeds of rabbits that were supposed to cause
less allergy problems, and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out
where.  OTOH, I recommend you read this allergy site, which is probably more
accurate:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2790/allergy.html

--
Sue, Flurry, and Max
http://home.nycap.rr.com/safrench/
replace x with sc to reply


Quote:
> Hi All,

> It has always been my plan to adopt a bunny friend for Aimee (hopefully
the
> tech wreck to be over *real* soon and I'll be able to become gainfully
> employed again <g> in the meantime I spend a lot of time with her so that
> she isn't too lonely), but there are a few criteria that make me wonder
what
> the best way to go about it would be. I figured I would start the process
> now so that I'll be ready when the right bunny hops along.

> As I've mentioned previously, Aimee is a Mini-Rex. The reason why I got
her
> specifically (besides falling head over heels in love with her on first
> sight <g>) is because I have a fair number of allergies, and I have
reacted
> to other bunnies in the past, but she passed the test, thankfully. I still
> react a bit, but as long as I don't need to make nightly visits to the
> hospital, I'll suffer - the rewards are worth it and then some. :-)

> I'm guessing that the reason I don't react to her as much is her shorter
fur
> and she doesn't seem to shed as much as some of you have indicated your
buns
> do. Is the fact that she is a "she" also a factor, the way it is for cats?
> (Male cats cause greater problems for allergy sufferers due to their
> glandular secretions.) I'm curious about this because my first choice
would
> be to attempt bonding her with a male bunny. As you know, she has recently
> been spayed, and a male would be neutered if he had not already had the
> surgery.

> Are there any other bunny breeds that you can think of that has fur on the
> shorter side, and that isn't too large in size that I should consider? I
> think I could handle a bunny up to about 7 pounds - after that, I would be
> concerned about being able to lift him in a carrier if it were necessary.
> I'm quite partial to Holland Lops (they are the smallest of the Lop breeds
> without being a dwarf bunny, aren't they?) but I'm not sure what the fur
> situation is like.

> I would very much like to adopt a rescue bunny, but so far I haven't seen
> anything that would fit the parameters. I have been keeping an eye on the
> Humane Society webpages for all of eastern and southern Ontario. Any
> suggestions on how I could go about this process would be greatly
> appreciated. Should I be looking for a breeder instead?

> Take care,
> Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Arlette & Coco » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:47:52


HI Martha,
Have you ever checked out the OREO website? They have adoptable bunnies
possible near you.
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/adoption/adoptions.htm

--
God Bless,
Arlette, Cocoa & Brownie in spirit (See us here
http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/cocoa3c)
Need a vet? Click here
www.rabbitvet.net
There is no blessing from God so sweet as having
two chocolate coloured bunnies melting in your lap
in the warm morning sun.

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Steverdd » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:56:23


Quote:

>I recently read about some breeds of rabbits that were supposed to cause
>less allergy problems, and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out
>where.

Probably one of the sites listed under allergys on Morfz

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html#allergic

What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Is there another word for synonym?

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Rhond » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 04:01:30


Hi Martha,

I just wanted to throw in that I am actually MORE allergic to our
mini-rexes, than to our two other rabbits. If I handle them for any
length of time, I have to deal with the itchy nose, etc. I couldn't
believe it at first, but now I have two and they both affect me the same
way.

I would not go by length of fur for allergies. I talked to another woman
who is more allergic to rex-fur than other rabbit fur (by the way, we
both found out we are more allergic to siamese cats than other cats).

Is there a rabbit you would spend time with before bringing home? Do you
have a shelter near you that has a get-to-know-your-pet type room? Maybe
you could sit with the rabbit for a half hour, or an hour, and see what
happens. After that, maybe try a date with the two bunnies to see if
they get along.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Quote:

> As I've mentioned previously, Aimee is a Mini-Rex. The reason why I got her
> specifically (besides falling head over heels in love with her on first
> sight <g>) is because I have a fair number of allergies, and I have reacted
> to other bunnies in the past, but she passed the test, thankfully. I still
> react a bit, but as long as I don't need to make nightly visits to the
> hospital, I'll suffer - the rewards are worth it and then some. :-)

> I'm guessing that the reason I don't react to her as much is her shorter fur
> and she doesn't seem to shed as much as some of you have indicated your buns
> do. Is the fact that she is a "she" also a factor, the way it is for cats?
> (Male cats cause greater problems for allergy sufferers due to their
> glandular secretions.) I'm curious about this because my first choice would
> be to attempt bonding her with a male bunny. As you know, she has recently
> been spayed, and a male would be neutered if he had not already had the
> surgery.

> Are there any other bunny breeds that you can think of that has fur on the
> shorter side, and that isn't too large in size that I should consider? I
> think I could handle a bunny up to about 7 pounds - after that, I would be
> concerned about being able to lift him in a carrier if it were necessary.
> I'm quite partial to Holland Lops (they are the smallest of the Lop breeds
> without being a dwarf bunny, aren't they?) but I'm not sure what the fur
> situation is like.

> I would very much like to adopt a rescue bunny, but so far I haven't seen
> anything that would fit the parameters. I have been keeping an eye on the
> Humane Society webpages for all of eastern and southern Ontario. Any
> suggestions on how I could go about this process would be greatly
> appreciated. Should I be looking for a breeder instead?

> Take care,
> Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by MsNoahsA » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 07:22:55


Hi Martha,

I agree with Rhonda. As a licensed and registered Respiratory Therapist in NY,
people with asthma/allergies differ in what their "triggers" are. I only have
mild to moderate asthma and find my mini-rex bothers me more than the other
three buns put together (go figure).

It would be wise to check each bun out individually and also in combo with your
present bun. It's more work but well work it.

If at all possible, please go with a rescue group and explain your
circumstances. I'd be suprised if they didn't work with you.

Take Care,
Jeanne

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Sue Frenc » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:15:55


I think it was a book or magazine, actually.

--
Sue, Flurry, and Max
http://home.nycap.rr.com/safrench/
replace x with sc to reply


Quote:

> >I recently read about some breeds of rabbits that were supposed to cause
> >less allergy problems, and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure
out
> >where.

> Probably one of the sites listed under allergys on Morfz

> http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html#allergic

> What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered
plant?

> Is there another word for synonym?

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Shan » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:42:14


Hi Martha,my husband is allergic to rabbits too,but he seems much less
sensitive to the mini rex we adopted(Emma),his allergies really bother him
during the molting period...I believe it all depends on the individual...
I do agree though that you should find a shelter were they'll let you spend
some time with the bunny you are interested in...while holding him/her
you'll see if your allergies are triggered at all...that's my belief ...!

Arlette gave you the link to the OREO site,it's very good and the people
there are very helpful...I met few of them already,you could also contact
this girl at :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/johnandhaviva/rabbitcontact.html
She is very much connected to the OREO guys,they sort of work
together..she's really sweet and I can guarantee she'll let you spend some
time with the bunny you are interested in...Most of her bunnies are in
foster homes (you can see the pictures on her site ....under:"adoption")and
she also usually had more than few at a Pet Value store in Georgetown....and
I believe some at her house too.You could contact her...or /and the OREO
guys and see what they tell you.ALL of her bunnies come spayed/neutered
already...
Hope you'll find your bunny soon.....
Take care
Shan


Quote:
> Hi All,

> It has always been my plan to adopt a bunny friend for Aimee (hopefully
the
> tech wreck to be over *real* soon and I'll be able to become gainfully
> employed again <g> in the meantime I spend a lot of time with her so that
> she isn't too lonely), but there are a few criteria that make me wonder
what
> the best way to go about it would be. I figured I would start the process
> now so that I'll be ready when the right bunny hops along.

> As I've mentioned previously, Aimee is a Mini-Rex. The reason why I got
her
> specifically (besides falling head over heels in love with her on first
> sight <g>) is because I have a fair number of allergies, and I have
reacted
> to other bunnies in the past, but she passed the test, thankfully. I still
> react a bit, but as long as I don't need to make nightly visits to the
> hospital, I'll suffer - the rewards are worth it and then some. :-)

> I'm guessing that the reason I don't react to her as much is her shorter
fur
> and she doesn't seem to shed as much as some of you have indicated your
buns
> do. Is the fact that she is a "she" also a factor, the way it is for cats?
> (Male cats cause greater problems for allergy sufferers due to their
> glandular secretions.) I'm curious about this because my first choice
would
> be to attempt bonding her with a male bunny. As you know, she has recently
> been spayed, and a male would be neutered if he had not already had the
> surgery.

> Are there any other bunny breeds that you can think of that has fur on the
> shorter side, and that isn't too large in size that I should consider? I
> think I could handle a bunny up to about 7 pounds - after that, I would be
> concerned about being able to lift him in a carrier if it were necessary.
> I'm quite partial to Holland Lops (they are the smallest of the Lop breeds
> without being a dwarf bunny, aren't they?) but I'm not sure what the fur
> situation is like.

> I would very much like to adopt a rescue bunny, but so far I haven't seen
> anything that would fit the parameters. I have been keeping an eye on the
> Humane Society webpages for all of eastern and southern Ontario. Any
> suggestions on how I could go about this process would be greatly
> appreciated. Should I be looking for a breeder instead?

> Take care,
> Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Stac » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:18:09


When you have allergies, the more allergens in the house (ie, more bunnies),
the worse your allergies will be.  I am allergic to all of my pets (plus cats
and dogs).  I highly recommend allergy shots.  After just five shots, I was
able to stand having my MIL's cat sneak into our room and sleep by my head all
night!  My gp used to make me break out in hives if she touched my skin, but
not after my first shot.  Not to mention I am even more allergic to hay, dust,
dust mites, mold and pollen, so getting those under control with the shots
helps keep other things from affecting me as much.  The biggest trick in
getting allergy shots is to find an allergist who won't just tell you to get
rid of the pets.  But if you persist and insist, there is a serum for rabbit
and one for gps (they had to special order them for me and I bugged them every
single week until they got it).  It's definitely worth it to me even though I
hate needles.

Stacey

Stacey (remove the "onions" to reply)

Brett & Hannah (bunnies)
Ben ('tiel)
Samantha (guinea pig)

http://community.webshots.com/user/yodasmom25
(updated 6/29/03)

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Marth » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:26:11


Hi Stacey,

Quote:
> When you have allergies, the more allergens in the house (ie, more
bunnies),
> the worse your allergies will be.

Yes, you are quite right...it's cumulative. :-) Just as with each time you
eat something you're allergic to, the reaction gets much worse.

Quote:
> I am allergic to all of my pets (plus cats
> and dogs).  I highly recommend allergy shots.  After just five shots, I
was
> able to stand having my MIL's cat sneak into our room and sleep by my head
all
> night!  My gp used to make me break out in hives if she touched my skin,
but
> not after my first shot.

I have tried allergy shots already, but reacted *very* badly to them on the
first shot. They "diluted" the serum to 1/100 of the original dosage and
tried again. I was okay until I got up to that first dosage level again.
After that, the doctors were too scared of killing me. ;-)

Quote:
> Not to mention I am even more allergic to hay, dust,
> dust mites, mold and pollen, so getting those under control with the shots
> helps keep other things from affecting me as much.  The biggest trick in
> getting allergy shots is to find an allergist who won't just tell you to
get
> rid of the pets.  But if you persist and insist, there is a serum for
rabbit
> and one for gps (they had to special order them for me and I bugged them
every
> single week until they got it).  It's definitely worth it to me even
though I
> hate needles.

Yup, I'm allergic to all of the above too. My food allergy list is a printed
page long. Makes going to a restaurant an adventure, that's for sure! For
now I make due with six different allergy medications, four of which are
prescription. That have vastly improved my quality of life, thankfully.

And there's no way on earth that I'd let an allergist tell me to get rid of
a pet. I'd consider it....after they got rid of one of his/her children to
see how it felt! <g>

Take care,
Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Marth » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:32:20


Quote:
> HI Martha,
> Have you ever checked out the OREO website? They have adoptable bunnies
> possible near you.
> http://www.ontariorabbits.org/adoption/adoptions.htm

Hi Arlette,

I have been checking out the Humane Societies in eastern and southern
Ontario, which is what this website links to. Thank you very much though for
the direct link to the various societies - the more the merrier. :-)

Take care,
Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Marth » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:37:15


Hi Rhonda,

Quote:
> I just wanted to throw in that I am actually MORE allergic to our
> mini-rexes, than to our two other rabbits. If I handle them for any
> length of time, I have to deal with the itchy nose, etc. I couldn't
> believe it at first, but now I have two and they both affect me the same
> way.

> I would not go by length of fur for allergies. I talked to another woman
> who is more allergic to rex-fur than other rabbit fur (by the way, we
> both found out we are more allergic to siamese cats than other cats).

Actually, I found that I was better off with a Rex bunny totally by
accident. By using the good old snuggle with the nose in the fur routine.
:-) Of course, while I've tried a number of bunnies, I have by no means
exhausted the breed list. For now, I think my best bet is to just follow my
nose and see what happens.

Quote:
> Is there a rabbit you would spend time with before bringing home? Do you
> have a shelter near you that has a get-to-know-your-pet type room? Maybe
> you could sit with the rabbit for a half hour, or an hour, and see what
> happens. After that, maybe try a date with the two bunnies to see if
> they get along.

I would guess that most reputable places would give you some introduction
time, and would understand that while I am very serious about this search,
the first bunny I (and Aimee) fall in love with might not be the bunny I'll
be able to bring home. I will persist though.

Quote:
> Good luck,

Thank you. :-)

Take care,
Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Marth » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:46:39


Hi Shan,

Quote:
> Hi Martha,my husband is allergic to rabbits too,but he seems much less
> sensitive to the mini rex we adopted(Emma),his allergies really bother him
> during the molting period...

Yes, I seem to be suffering a fair bit at the moment, though Aimee isn't
showing any signs of shedding. Mould is one of my worst allergies though, so
I'm sure that the rain we've had recently, plus the dead leaves is
contributing to the "joy". :-)

Quote:
> I believe it all depends on the individual...
> I do agree though that you should find a shelter were they'll let you
spend
> some time with the bunny you are interested in...while holding him/her
> you'll see if your allergies are triggered at all...that's my belief ...!

> Arlette gave you the link to the OREO site,it's very good and the people
> there are very helpful...I met few of them already,you could also contact
> this girl at :
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/johnandhaviva/rabbitcontact.html
> She is very much connected to the OREO guys,they sort of work
> together..she's really sweet and I can guarantee she'll let you spend some
> time with the bunny you are interested in...Most of her bunnies are in
> foster homes (you can see the pictures on her site

....under:"adoption")and

Quote:
> she also usually had more than few at a Pet Value store in
Georgetown....and
> I believe some at her house too.You could contact her...or /and the OREO
> guys and see what they tell you.ALL of her bunnies come spayed/neutered
> already...

I believe this is the lady that I was in contact with by email this morning.
She seems very nice, and has sent me the adoption form. The only problem is
that they are located west of Toronto (about a 5 hour drive from me) so the
logistics might become interesting. Something will work out I'm sure.

Quote:
> Hope you'll find your bunny soon.....

Me too! I'm prepared to be patient....I know the right bunny will hop into
our lives. :-)

I'm sorry, I'm still trying to keep everybody's names/locations/bunnies
straight. Am I correct in thinking that you mentioned you are in the Thunder
Bay area?

As I am typing this, I have a show on in the background called Passionate
Eye (on CBC Newsworld for fellow Canadians) and it's a 90 minute show on a
wonderful dog rescue shelter. It's really interesting, but heartbreaking at
the same time. If the show is re-run others might like to see it.

Take care,
Martha

 
 
 

How to Go About Adopting Another Bunny

Post by Shan » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:16:43


Yes Martha,
Haviva (I think she's the girl you were in contact with)is located in
Georgetown,but the OREO group are all over Ontario....
Good luck..
Shan


Quote:
> Hi Shan,

> > Hi Martha,my husband is allergic to rabbits too,but he seems much less
> > sensitive to the mini rex we adopted(Emma),his allergies really bother
him
> > during the molting period...

> Yes, I seem to be suffering a fair bit at the moment, though Aimee isn't
> showing any signs of shedding. Mould is one of my worst allergies though,
so
> I'm sure that the rain we've had recently, plus the dead leaves is
> contributing to the "joy". :-)

> > I believe it all depends on the individual...
> > I do agree though that you should find a shelter were they'll let you
> spend
> > some time with the bunny you are interested in...while holding him/her
> > you'll see if your allergies are triggered at all...that's my belief
...!

> > Arlette gave you the link to the OREO site,it's very good and the people
> > there are very helpful...I met few of them already,you could also
contact
> > this girl at :
> > http://www3.sympatico.ca/johnandhaviva/rabbitcontact.html
> > She is very much connected to the OREO guys,they sort of work
> > together..she's really sweet and I can guarantee she'll let you spend
some
> > time with the bunny you are interested in...Most of her bunnies are in
> > foster homes (you can see the pictures on her site
> ....under:"adoption")and
> > she also usually had more than few at a Pet Value store in
> Georgetown....and
> > I believe some at her house too.You could contact her...or /and the OREO
> > guys and see what they tell you.ALL of her bunnies come spayed/neutered
> > already...

> I believe this is the lady that I was in contact with by email this
morning.
> She seems very nice, and has sent me the adoption form. The only problem
is
> that they are located west of Toronto (about a 5 hour drive from me) so
the
> logistics might become interesting. Something will work out I'm sure.

> > Hope you'll find your bunny soon.....

> Me too! I'm prepared to be patient....I know the right bunny will hop into
> our lives. :-)

> I'm sorry, I'm still trying to keep everybody's names/locations/bunnies
> straight. Am I correct in thinking that you mentioned you are in the
Thunder
> Bay area?

> As I am typing this, I have a show on in the background called Passionate
> Eye (on CBC Newsworld for fellow Canadians) and it's a 90 minute show on a
> wonderful dog rescue shelter. It's really interesting, but heartbreaking
at
> the same time. If the show is re-run others might like to see it.

> Take care,
> Martha