Dog Food?

Description of your first forum.

Dog Food?

Post by Kraft » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00



LOLOL!!! I placed dog food in the minnow trap... and my fish went into a
serious FRENZY to get at it!! The big fish kept the openings pretty well
blocked trying to get at it, so I didn't catch any fish with it... but it was
funny to see. They basically managed to suck it out the sides as it softened up
in the water. So my question is.... WHY am I feeding that expensive fish food
to them again? Dog food is way cheaper! hehehehheh...

~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by sigp22 » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Kraftey
I know a whole bunch of folks who favor Friskies and any dry dog food for their
pond fish.  If you are raising (or hoping to have) champion koi, the dog and cat
food has a little too much fat content.  If not,  Friskies for smaller fish,
Eukanuba for the large ones!
Perry in San Diego
Quote:

> LOLOL!!! I placed dog food in the minnow trap... and my fish went into a
> serious FRENZY to get at it!! The big fish kept the openings pretty well
> blocked trying to get at it, so I didn't catch any fish with it... but it was
> funny to see. They basically managed to suck it out the sides as it softened up
> in the water. So my question is.... WHY am I feeding that expensive fish food
> to them again? Dog food is way cheaper! hehehehheh...

> ~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by K30 » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Around here the water gardening labradors
love to find the container of koi chow
left out, very tasty.

They will also eat the dry bacteria/enzyme stuff.

But the best stuff to find is turtle business or
bullfrog business. Tasty and handy to roll in.

k30a and the water gardening labradors
see the labradors at
http://www.daydreamergardens.com/2_level/articles/dog_how_to.htm
K30A and friends' pond information page
http://hometown.aol.com/k30a/myhomepage/writing.html

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Kraft » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00


<<<Around here the water gardening labradors love to find the container of koi
chow left out, very tasty.>>>
---------------------*
Funny you say that Kathy.. my dogs think a couple pellets of fish food is a
MAJOR treat too! I was wondering if they were deviants. <grin>

<<<If you are raising (or hoping to have) champion koi, the dog and cat food
has a little too much fat content.  If not,  Friskies for smaller fish,
Eukanuba for the large ones!>>>
------------------------*
Now THAT is really handy to know Perry, thanks! That stuff is way cheaper than
fish pellets... and more readily to hand too. I'm not raising champions, just
pets. I don't feed on a daily basis even.

~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Derek Broughto » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> Kraftey
> I know a whole bunch of folks who favor Friskies and any dry dog food for their
> pond fish.  If you are raising (or hoping to have) champion koi, the dog and cat
> food has a little too much fat content.  If not,  Friskies for smaller fish,
> Eukanuba for the large ones!

Hmmm.  Thought it was Friskies for catfish and Eukanuba for dogfish :-)
--
Derek (www.netcom.ca/~dbrought/pond)
rec.ponds FAQ  http://w3.one.net/~rzutt/faq.html
 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Kraft » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00


<<<Hmmm.  Thought it was Friskies for catfish and Eukanuba for dogfish :-)>>>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Too, Too funny Derek!!! *snort!
I was just looking over some of the fish care sites you guys have posted
recently though. Some of the info seems to indicate serious problems can occur
if the fish gets too much fat.. or corn... in thier diet? I wouldn't want to
feed my guys dog food if it was going to shorten their lifespans, no matter how
easy it was on the pocketbook! Yikes!

~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Kelli » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> <<<Around here the water gardening labradors love to find the container of koi
> chow left out, very tasty.>>>
> ---------------------*
> Funny you say that Kathy.. my dogs think a couple pellets of fish food is a
> MAJOR treat too! I was wondering if they were deviants. <grin>

Not only do my dog and cats love fish food, one of
my parrots loves it, too! He goes nuts trying to
get at the can when I take him out to feed fish
with me.  
--
Kellie  
Articles and poems:
<http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/author/view_author_info.gsp?au...>
**
Final Portrait * A Novel
<http://kassarts.bizland.com>
 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Kraft » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00


<<<<Not only do my dog and cats love fish food, one of my parrots loves it,
too! He goes nuts trying to get at the can when I take him out to feed fish
with me. >>>

Parrots are hysterical little people! Our Goffin***atoo loves coffee.. go
figure! (not that we'd ever let her have more than a sip) Want another parrot?

~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by clayto » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> > <<<Around here the water gardening labradors love to find the container
of koi
> > chow left out, very tasty.>>>
> > ---------------------*
> > Funny you say that Kathy.. my dogs think a couple pellets of fish food
is a
> > MAJOR treat too! I was wondering if they were deviants. <grin>

> Not only do my dog and cats love fish food, one of
> my parrots loves it, too! He goes nuts trying to
> get at the can when I take him out to feed fish
> with me.
> --
> Kellie
> Articles and poems:

<http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/author/view_author_info.gsp?au...
61220>

Quote:
> **
> Final Portrait * A Novel
> <http://kassarts. bizland.com>

                                           is that why my Beagle looks so
                                           funny at mw when I,m feeding
                                           our fish???? ok I fess up I
                                           have through her a couple of
                                           pellets~~~~~ but to give my
                                           fish OL, ROY ??hmmmm
                                           don,t know  hehe

                                                          PAM H.

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Kelli » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00


No!!! Five is enough, thank you very much, and if
that big pink***atoo doesn't start minding her
manners I'll be asking you if you want another
***atoo!! She loves coffee, too, BTW, but doesn't
get it very often.

Quote:
> Parrots are hysterical little people! Our Goffin***atoo loves coffee.. go
> figure! (not that we'd ever let her have more than a sip) Want another parrot?

> ~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

--
Kellie  
Articles and poems:
<http://www.moonsgarden.com/;
**
Final Portrait * A Novel
<http://www.moonsgarden.com/>
 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by FrankRP43 » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00


dog food is alot cheaper and does the same job...so why buy that expensive food
 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Kraft » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00


I just mail ordered the Ranjen food that was mentioned on the koivet.com site.
25lbs of koi color for $20.50... or
25lbs of koi staple for $11.71
I order two bags and the shipping (ups) cost $42... but even with that, that's
way cheaper than anything I can get locally. They sell catfish food, which I
understand is recommended for goldfish & I guess it's even cheaper.

~~~~~~~waving!  Joanie :o}

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by Bonnie Espenshad » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> dog food is alot cheaper and does the same job...so why buy that expensive food

Because I have fish in my ponds, not dogs.

--
Bonnie
NJ

http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by jan jorda » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
>I just mail ordered the Ranjen food that was mentioned on the koivet.com site.
>25lbs of koi color for $20.50... or
>25lbs of koi staple for $11.71
>I order two bags and the shipping (ups) cost $42... but even with that, that's
>way cheaper than anything I can get locally. They sell catfish food, which I
>understand is recommended for goldfish & I guess it's even cheaper.

Joanie,

Do you have that many fish that you will go thru 25lbs in a season?

My season is ~8 months long and I only use around 8 lbs. of food for 14 koi
& 1 pond shubunkin that range in size from 24" to 10".   ~ jan

 
 
 

Dog Food?

Post by jan jorda » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
>> dog food is alot cheaper and does the same job...so why buy that expensive food

>Because I have fish in my ponds, not dogs.

Ditto Bonnie. Not to mention.... expensive koi food is like expensive dog
food... better for the pet and less clean up for the human (or pond
filter). Why do we feed cows corn? To fatten them up? I don't need my koi
<<fat>> I'm not planning to eat them and I want them to live a long long
time. Besides, I can buy my koi the most expensive food and price wise
they'd never get close to the expensive food I have to buy the old cat &
old dog year round. ~ jan