Liners vs No Liners

Description of your first forum.

Liners vs No Liners

Post by Jon Willar » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00



My wife and I are are considering putting in a pond in a low swampy region
near our house.  I have seen many pond web sites etc and they all talk about
'the liner'.  My goal is to build an inexpensive and as natural of a Garden
pond as possible.  I am interested in a pond which is an extension of my
garden - not necessarily a fish pond.

Do I need a liner if the soil will support the water?
Is there anyway to determine if the soil will support the water (besides
casual observation)?
Are there bio conditions that will be problematic with an unlined pond or
will this be easier all around?

Other thoughts?

Thanks

Jon

 
 
 

Liners vs No Liners

Post by xs.. » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00


.. even bog gardens need a liner .. it really is cheaper in the long run.. use
permalon.. solo



Quote:
>My wife and I are are considering putting in a pond in a low swampy region
>near our house.  


 
 
 

Liners vs No Liners

Post by Goldfis » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00


If Grandfather Bob shows up on the group, ask him how to get the book he sent me
about Natural Ponding.   It talks about wetlands and how to create and manage
them.  It isn't  available in book stores as some botanical society published
it.    Good book, though.  If I were you I'd do a search on wetlands.

Quote:

> My wife and I are are considering putting in a pond in a low swampy region
> near our house.  I have seen many pond web sites etc and they all talk about
> 'the liner'.  My goal is to build an inexpensive and as natural of a GARDEN
> pond as possible.  I am interested in a pond which is an extension of my
> garden - not necessarily a fish pond.

> Do I need a liner if the soil will support the water?
> Is there anyway to determine if the soil will support the water (besides
> casual observation)?
> Are there bio conditions that will be problematic with an unlined pond or
> will this be easier all around?

> Other thoughts?

> Thanks

> Jon

--
Signed- Kellie  USDA zone 7/8, Sunset Zone 33
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma.  It was a Catastrophe.
Now my Dogma's Dead and my Karma's out of alignment.
Get in KNEE DEEP!  <http://w3.one.net/~rzutt/newsletter.html>
 
 
 

Liners vs No Liners

Post by Goldfis » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
> .. even bog gardens need a liner .. it really is cheaper in the long run.. use
> permalon.. solo

It depends on what you want and what you have to work with.

Quote:



> >My wife and I are are considering putting in a pond in a low swampy region
> >near our house.


--
Signed- Kellie  USDA zone 7/8, Sunset Zone 33
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma.  It was a Catastrophe.
Now my Dogma's Dead and my Karma's out of alignment.
Get in KNEE DEEP!  <http://w3.one.net/~rzutt/newsletter.html>