Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Description of your first forum.

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by BB » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:26:09



Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of fish
have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?

I would *really* like to try something like guppies but I jus' plain don't
know what would happen.  I know guppies (and assorted tropicals) like
warmer water and will probably either die or have to be fished out (HA!)
come winter.  (I currently just have four of the $0.12 feeder gold fish at
about 2-3 inches each and the assorted California Toad and occasional
Pacific Tree Frog; no tadpoles, dammit...)

Air temps range in the upper 90s to 110-ish in summer here.  Water temp,
well, I wish I knew.  The thermometer got broken...  But it goes pretty
warm.  Still waitin' for the WH to multiply enough to shade the thing.

--Bryan (who hopes he doesn't have the filters turn up too high in the
group and filters out reasonable replies....)

--
************************************************************
*  Can't see the Forest    |  Bryan B.                     *
*   Through the Trees?     |   Reply if you want.  E-mail  *
*      Take it out!        |    address changes frequently *
*    (Damn Viruses!)       |     to foil spambots.         *
************************************************************

 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by Gail Futora » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:32:42



Quote:
> Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of
> fish
> have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?

> I would *really* like to try something like guppies but I jus' plain don't
> know what would happen.  I know guppies (and assorted tropicals) like
> warmer water and will probably either die or have to be fished out (HA!)
> come winter.  (I currently just have four of the $0.12 feeder gold fish at
> about 2-3 inches each and the assorted California Toad and occasional
> Pacific Tree Frog; no tadpoles, dammit...)

> Air temps range in the upper 90s to 110-ish in summer here.  Water temp,
> well, I wish I knew.  The thermometer got broken...  But it goes pretty
> warm.  Still waitin' for the WH to multiply enough to shade the thing.

> --Bryan (who hopes he doesn't have the filters turn up too high in the
> group and filters out reasonable replies....)

Minnows.  Here's an info. link:

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by Roy-ShastaLad » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:42:33


I change my sock puppets all the time... because Snooze tome me to.
Fish... this aint a fisn group.  


On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 04:26:09 GMT, BB

Quote:

>Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of fish
>have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?

>I would *really* like to try something like guppies but I jus' plain don't
>know what would happen.  I know guppies (and assorted tropicals) like
>warmer water and will probably either die or have to be fished out (HA!)
>come winter.  (I currently just have four of the $0.12 feeder gold fish at
>about 2-3 inches each and the assorted California Toad and occasional
>Pacific Tree Frog; no tadpoles, dammit...)

>Air temps range in the upper 90s to 110-ish in summer here.  Water temp,
>well, I wish I knew.  The thermometer got broken...  But it goes pretty
>warm.  Still waitin' for the WH to multiply enough to shade the thing.

>--Bryan (who hopes he doesn't have the filters turn up too high in the
>group and filters out reasonable replies....)

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by dr-s.. » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:45:12


orfes ... and they are sort of birth control in a pond too.  Ingrid

Quote:

>Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of fish
>have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?

>I would *really* like to try something like guppies but I jus' plain don't
>know what would happen.  I know guppies (and assorted tropicals) like
>warmer water and will probably either die or have to be fished out (HA!)
>come winter.  (I currently just have four of the $0.12 feeder gold fish at
>about 2-3 inches each and the assorted California Toad and occasional
>Pacific Tree Frog; no tadpoles, dammit...)

>Air temps range in the upper 90s to 110-ish in summer here.  Water temp,
>well, I wish I knew.  The thermometer got broken...  But it goes pretty
>warm.  Still waitin' for the WH to multiply enough to shade the thing.

>--Bryan (who hopes he doesn't have the filters turn up too high in the
>group and filters out reasonable replies....)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website.
I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by ~ jan » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 03:29:50


Quote:
>On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 04:26:09 GMT, BB
>I would *really* like to try something like guppies but I jus' plain don't
>know what would happen.
>--Bryan (who hopes he doesn't have the filters turn up too high in the
>group and filters out reasonable replies....)

Mollies & Platys, till it gets cold.  ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by W?nd?len » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 04:02:56


*** it put them all in the pond and in the fall put a trolling motor
in there and turn em all to shushi........then get a big straw and
suck em out  like a big milk shake..



Quote:
>>On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 04:26:09 GMT, BB
>>I would *really* like to try something like guppies but I jus' plain don't
>>know what would happen.
>>--Bryan (who hopes he doesn't have the filters turn up too high in the
>>group and filters out reasonable replies....)

>Mollies & Platys, till it gets cold.  ~ jan
>-----------------

>Also ponding troll free at:
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.moonsgarden.com/
 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by BB » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 06:51:48


Thanks for the useful and productive suggestions...  I sorta like the
minnows that Gail referenced.  And I hadn't really thought about mollies
and platys.  Might give them a look.  And, not too crazy about ofres....

But thanks, folks!

--Bryan

--
************************************************************
*  Can't see the Forest    |  Bryan B.                     *
*   Through the Trees?     |   Reply if you want.  E-mail  *
*      Take it out!        |    address changes frequently *
*    (Damn Viruses!)       |     to foil spambots.         *
************************************************************

 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by Derek Broughto » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 08:51:47


Quote:

> Thanks for the useful and productive suggestions...  I sorta like the
> minnows that Gail referenced.  And I hadn't really thought about mollies
> and platys.  Might give them a look.  And, not too crazy about ofres....

I'd skip the Mollies, since you were already skeptical about Guppies.
They're all the same family, and not actually tropical (generally
considered sub-tropical), but Mollies always seemed less hardy to me.
--
derek
 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by Lar » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 12:06:11




:)  Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of fish
:)  have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?
:)  
:)  
I have a preformed pond roughly 7x9 feet 2 feet deep around 300 gallons.
Mine has the fancy guppies...mollies...platys...bettas (no they don't
fight each other when they have room to claim a spot) ...long finned
danios (nice to watch at night, very active) black skirted tetras (neat
to watch during the day)..and some sort of red tetra, all need to be
removed before a temperature drop.  The gold fish and their fry along
with the White cloud minnows will survive the winter.  
--
Lar
 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by Koi-L » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 12:51:49



Quote:
> Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of
> fish
> have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?

============================================
I have some pretty gold colored Rosy Reds I bought as feeder fish a few
years back.  They survive the winters here in zone 6 and reproduce, but
their numbers stay stable.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~~  }<((((*>  ~~~   }<{{{{(?>   ~~~~  }<((((({*>
 
 
 

Other fish than Gold or Koi in Pond?

Post by Gill Pissma » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:20:22


Tropicals mare much nicer n a largepreform than GF are. We have a 65
with 4 male bettas and 9 females with 3 nests right now and fighting
is not a problem. Total of 11 preforms and other water features
allloaded with tropcials.Gourami, cichiids, guppys, platys (look like
miniature GF anyhow) barbs, tetras and a first this year 10 angles.On

Quote:


>:)  Besides the usual carp family of Goldfish and Koi, what other types of fish
>:)  have been successfully kept in an outdoor pond?
>:)  
>:)  
>I have a preformed pond roughly 7x9 feet 2 feet deep around 300 gallons.
>Mine has the fancy guppies...mollies...platys...bettas (no they don't
>fight each other when they have room to claim a spot) ...long finned
>danios (nice to watch at night, very active) black skirted tetras (neat
>to watch during the day)..and some sort of red tetra, all need to be
>removed before a temperature drop.  The gold fish and their fry along
>with the White cloud minnows will survive the winter.  

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com