Water Level Dropping

Description of your first forum.

Water Level Dropping

Post by Dan » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:50:58



My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5 north of
Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and external
water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below ice
level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any leaks.
Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan
 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by RichToyBo » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:15:39


The two areas that I would suspect most without additional info would be the
piping for the external pump and ice dams.  Somewhere in the piping there is
a run of pipe that has been turned off, and the water behind the valve has
frozen and split the pipe.  Once that happens and thawing occurs, then water
flows out the split and flowing water is very hard to freeze, so the leaking
continues.  The ice dams would occur at the base of a waterfall on the
external pump return to the pond.  The ice dam builds up in depth until it
is higher than the edge of the pond and the water runs out of the pond.
Good luck on finding the leak.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondintro.html


Quote:
> My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5 north of
> Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
external
> water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below ice
> level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any leaks.
> Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Dan » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:46:45


RichToyBox  - -  The flow to the waterfall has been shut off by valve to
prevent the ice dam scenario.  In winter, water returns directly into pond
by 2 inch pvc.  I'll take a close look at area around shut-off valve to
waterfall to see if any leaking.  Thanks for the suggestion.   Dan.


Quote:
> The two areas that I would suspect most without additional info would be
the
> piping for the external pump and ice dams.  Somewhere in the piping there
is
> a run of pipe that has been turned off, and the water behind the valve has
> frozen and split the pipe.  Once that happens and thawing occurs, then
water
> flows out the split and flowing water is very hard to freeze, so the
leaking
> continues.  The ice dams would occur at the base of a waterfall on the
> external pump return to the pond.  The ice dam builds up in depth until it
> is higher than the edge of the pond and the water runs out of the pond.
> Good luck on finding the leak.
> --
> RichToyBox
> http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondintro.html



> > My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5 north
of
> > Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> > frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
> external
> > water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below
ice
> > level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any
leaks.
> > Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Phyllis and Jim Hurle » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:37:49


Bummer.  It certainly is leaking somewhere!  Should be VERY obvious at the
rate you describe. 1800 gallons with straight sides is still losing 400
gallons per day!   That is a major volume of ice or muck.  You should be
able to find it, unless you have pipes under the earth and it has frozen
down to them.  It takes a freeze and a thaw for the leak, usually.  I hope
you can trace your pipe flow.  If the pond is not cracked by the ice and you
do not have automatic water filling, the leak is going to be in the
circulation system.  I suspect you would have seen an ice dam causing an
overflow...sheets of ice forming.  That leaves the circulation pipes,
etc...with a lot of cubic feet of ice or mud.  Good luck with the
investigation.

--
______________________________________________
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net\p\pwp-jameshurley
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
______________________________________________

Quote:
> My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5 north of
> Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
external
> water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below ice
> level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any leaks.
> Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Sam Hopkin » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:31:42


Whereever the water level stops is where your leak is.


Quote:
> My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5 north of
> Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
external
> water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below ice
> level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any leaks.
> Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by MWLienha » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:38:15


I do not know if you have any fittings in your pond, but I do in mine.  For the
first time (pond has been running for years here in MI) one of my ponds is
doing the same thing.  I discovered that the ice formed very thick due to no
snow cover this year and damaged the area where the pipe goes through the liner
by expansion.  On another pond here the water went down some because the water
was flowing out on top of the ice and was freezing and building up higher than
the sides of the pond. Last time I added a few hundred gallons the ice was
nearly a foot thick on that pond.

Mikel

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Dan » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 05:59:35


The problem is the top is covered with a thick layer of ice and I can't see
the liner below.


Quote:
> Whereever the water level stops is where your leak is.



> > My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5 north
of
> > Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> > frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
> external
> > water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below
ice
> > level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any
leaks.
> > Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Dan » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:04:57


Pond has a bottom drain at 4.5 feet and a 3 inch pvc pipe thru the side wall
for a skimmer about 18 inches below the surface.  There could possibly be
some damage at the point where the skimmer line goes thru the wall but I
can't see it due to the frozen top.  Maybe I'll have to thaw out an area
around the skimmer to get a look.


Quote:
> I do not know if you have any fittings in your pond, but I do in mine.
For the
> first time (pond has been running for years here in MI) one of my ponds is
> doing the same thing.  I discovered that the ice formed very thick due to
no
> snow cover this year and damaged the area where the pipe goes through the
liner
> by expansion.  On another pond here the water went down some because the
water
> was flowing out on top of the ice and was freezing and building up higher
than
> the sides of the pond. Last time I added a few hundred gallons the ice was
> nearly a foot thick on that pond.

> Mikel

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Nedr » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:27:50


Dan,  I would turn off the pump and buy a De-Icer.  It is electric - put
it in your pond close to the airstone.  I think  you will have to make sure
you add enough Dechlor ... This is to keep the fish from being poisoned
with chlorine/chloramine.  Wait until  warmer weather to repair the pond.

Nedra from Missouri
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836
http://community.webshots.com/user/nedra118


Quote:
> The problem is the top is covered with a thick layer of ice and I can't
see
> the liner below.



> > Whereever the water level stops is where your leak is.



> > > My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5
north
> of
> > > Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> > > frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
> > external
> > > water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below
> ice
> > > level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any
> leaks.
> > > Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Newspost » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:46:52


I assume you've checked the obvious ..... any loose connectors
I was losing approx 40 gals a day from one pond - finally found a tubing
connection with a very small leak. I suppose shrinkage of tube and
fitting was to blame. I tightened the hose clamp and all is well this
morning.
I'm using a stock tank heater and circulating water between two ponds.  
The water temp stays at about 40' to 45' here in sub-zero Minnesota.
Hope you solve the problem soon ......


Quote:

> Dan,  I would turn off the pump and buy a De-Icer.  It is electric - put
> it in your pond close to the airstone.  I think  you will have to make sure
> you add enough Dechlor ... This is to keep the fish from being poisoned
> with chlorine/chloramine.  Wait until  warmer weather to repair the pond.

> Nedra from Missouri
> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836
> http://community.webshots.com/user/nedra118



> > The problem is the top is covered with a thick layer of ice and I can't
> see
> > the liner below.



> > > Whereever the water level stops is where your leak is.



> > > > My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5
> north
> > of
> > > > Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.  Top is
> > > > frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
> > > external
> > > > water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot below
> > ice
> > > > level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any
> > leaks.
> > > > Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan

 
 
 

Water Level Dropping

Post by Dan » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:29:47


I've checked everything that isn't buried underground and no sign of any
leaks.  I have removed the pump per Nedra's suggestion and added a bubbler
to keep an area unfrozen.  If the water level doesn't go down again, I'll at
least know that the leak is in the underground plumbing and I can start
looking for it when the ground thaws.  If I'm still losing water, that means
there is a leak somewhere inside the pond or settling tank.


Quote:
> I assume you've checked the obvious ..... any loose connectors
> I was losing approx 40 gals a day from one pond - finally found a tubing
> connection with a very small leak. I suppose shrinkage of tube and
> fitting was to blame. I tightened the hose clamp and all is well this
> morning.
> I'm using a stock tank heater and circulating water between two ponds.
> The water temp stays at about 40' to 45' here in sub-zero Minnesota.
> Hope you solve the problem soon ......



> > Dan,  I would turn off the pump and buy a De-Icer.  It is electric - put
> > it in your pond close to the airstone.  I think  you will have to make
sure
> > you add enough Dechlor ... This is to keep the fish from being poisoned
> > with chlorine/chloramine.  Wait until  warmer weather to repair the
pond.

> > Nedra from Missouri
> > http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836
> > http://community.webshots.com/user/nedra118



> > > The problem is the top is covered with a thick layer of ice and I
can't
> > see
> > > the liner below.



> > > > Whereever the water level stops is where your leak is.



> > > > > My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water.  I'm in zone 5
> > north
> > > of
> > > > > Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks.
Top is
> > > > > frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and
> > > > external
> > > > > water pump flowing in.  Water level is dropping to over one foot
below
> > > ice
> > > > > level.  I refill every day and it still drops.  No evidence of any
> > > leaks.
> > > > > Any ideas?  Thanks,  Dan