One year old ponder, but over 65

Description of your first forum.

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by H. David Morro » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:35:46



We have had a pond for a little over a year now. The pond is in-ground, EPDM
lined and roughly keystone shaped.
It measures about 10 x 12 feet at the wide end and about 3 feet at the
narrow end. There is a 2.5 to 3 foot waterfall on one side of the narrow end
and the depth slopes from 12 inches to about three feet. It holds about 1800
gallons by my calculations.

The pond now has about 25 goldfish (we started with 16) ranging from 2
inches to about 9 inches (all sizes estimated). Lots and lots of plants
covering at least 60% of the surface. Lillys (5), pickrell (3), new lotus
(this year) not blooming but with lots of aerial leaves, impatiens, mint,
cattail, water iris and a few others I have forgotten the names of.

The pump is a 4,000 gph and I run it 24/7. The filter is a stock tank, 150
gal, with lava rock. Pumped water goes to the filter and gravity feeds from
there to the falls. The company that put in the pond took care of cleaning
this spring. I do the rest with a pool vac and Shop Vac.

Water is clear to the bottom and test readings are good. Oh, yes, we live in
Springfield, MO which I believe is Zone 5.

I kept the falls and pump running all winter and used a stock tank heater to
make sure there was never a complete freeze-over. Lost one goldfish over the
winter, but never found the carcass when all were taken out for the spring
cleaning.

My problem, if it is a problem, is that we have never had any babies. Am I
doing something wrong?? I can't believe all 25 are the same sex. Everytime I
read about someone on this group having more babies, I get just a tad
jealous.

Sorry for the verbosity. I know from lurking that some of you will want to
know the details before you address my situation.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Fuzzy Gem

 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Bonnie Espenshad » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 02:15:39


Quote:

> My problem, if it is a problem, is that we have never had any babies.

> Fuzzy Gem

Hi Fuzzy,
You didn't mention if you have any oxygenating plants,
hornwort,
anacharis or such?  These plants not only add oxygen to the
pond in the daytime, they also give the fry places to hide.  
--
Bonnie
NJ
http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm
 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by H. David Morro » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:22:48


Bonnie,
We don't have any oxygenating plants that I know of. Are you saying that the
fish wont spawn with out them despite the number of other plants (10+) and
pots?
I suppose it's too late this year to get the others, so I'll just try for
next year.
Thanks for your response and the tip.
Fuzzy Gem
Quote:
> Hi Fuzzy,
> You didn't mention if you have any oxygenating plants,
> hornwort,
> anacharis or such?  These plants not only add oxygen to the
> pond in the daytime, they also give the fry places to hide.
> --
> Bonnie
> NJ
> http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
> http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm

 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Bonnie Espenshad » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 04:26:06


Quote:

> Bonnie,
> We don't have any oxygenating plants that I know of. Are you saying that the
> fish wont spawn with out them despite the number of other plants (10+) and
> pots?
> I suppose it's too late this year to get the others, so I'll just try for
> next year.
> Thanks for your response and the tip.
> Fuzzy Gem

No, they will spawn but the eggs will dissappear quickly (be
eaten).  When desposited in the hornwort or anacharis they
are better hidden.
--
Bonnie
NJ
http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm
 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Nedr » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:03:10


Speaking of Anacharis... my Koi have eaten ALL of it that I've put in the
pond just in the last two weeks.  I mean there aren't even any of the stalks
left. That's $50 worth of the stuff.  I thought it was supposed to spread
and so forth!   And I do feed the fish!  Alot. I'm on the second 10# of
Optimum from Koi Stuff.  Wonder if they need more food?

Nedra


Quote:


> > Bonnie,
> > We don't have any oxygenating plants that I know of. Are you saying that
the
> > fish wont spawn with out them despite the number of other plants (10+)
and
> > pots?
> > I suppose it's too late this year to get the others, so I'll just try
for
> > next year.
> > Thanks for your response and the tip.
> > Fuzzy Gem

> No, they will spawn but the eggs will dissappear quickly (be
> eaten).  When desposited in the hornwort or anacharis they
> are better hidden.
> --
> Bonnie
> NJ
> http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
> http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm

 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Bonnie Espenshad » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:43:42


Quote:

> Speaking of Anacharis... my Koi have eaten ALL of it that I've put in the
> pond just in the last two weeks.  I mean there aren't even any of the stalks
> left. That's $50 worth of the stuff.  I thought it was supposed to spread
> and so forth!   And I do feed the fish!  Alot. I'm on the second 10# of
> Optimum from Koi Stuff.  Wonder if they need more food?

> Nedra

Hi Nedra,
I have given up putting it in with the large koi, except as
a treat for them to eat.  I've gone over to hornwort and if
they're hungry that disappears also.  In the lower pond, I'm
pulling the stuff out so the fish can swim!  
I'm on the third bag and half way through that.  I've
started giving more veggies (I have an abundance of
tomatoes, may try them).
--
Bonnie
NJ
http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm
 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Nedr » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:46:48


Bonnie,  how many Koi?  How big are they?  and other fish...  how many?  I
thought I was feeding mine alot!  Maybe not.

I have 5 of the original koi that are about 18".  I also have 2 butterfly
koi... 15 - 17 inches... and the 2 to 3 year olds are about 12" long.  Lots
of gold(red) fish!
I feed them until they are no longer interested ... about 5 to 10 minutes.
And I feed them 3 times a day!  What if I'm starving my sweeties??!!

Nedra
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836


Quote:


> > Speaking of Anacharis... my Koi have eaten ALL of it that I've put in
the
> > pond just in the last two weeks.  I mean there aren't even any of the
stalks
> > left. That's $50 worth of the stuff.  I thought it was supposed to
spread
> > and so forth!   And I do feed the fish!  Alot. I'm on the second 10# of
> > Optimum from Koi Stuff.  Wonder if they need more food?

> > Nedra

> Hi Nedra,
> I have given up putting it in with the large koi, except as
> a treat for them to eat.  I've gone over to hornwort and if
> they're hungry that disappears also.  In the lower pond, I'm
> pulling the stuff out so the fish can swim!
> I'm on the third bag and half way through that.  I've
> started giving more veggies (I have an abundance of
> tomatoes, may try them).
> --
> Bonnie
> NJ
> http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
> http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm

 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Bonnie Espenshad » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 02:25:35


Quote:

> Bonnie,  how many Koi?  How big are they?  and other fish...  how many?  I
> thought I was feeding mine alot!  Maybe not.

> I have 5 of the original koi that are about 18".  I also have 2 butterfly
> koi... 15 - 17 inches... and the 2 to 3 year olds are about 12" long.  Lots
> of gold(red) fish!
> I feed them until they are no longer interested ... about 5 to 10 minutes.
> And I feed them 3 times a day!  What if I'm starving my sweeties??!!

> Nedra
> www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836

I doubt if your starving your fish.  I have nine koi...3
around 20-24 inches, 4 around 18 inches and 2 around 15
inches.
Then there are probably 20 yearlings, plus the goldfish
(comets, sarassa, fantails and shubunkins) and 5 orfes that
are over 12 inches.  The rosie reds are there also.
--
Bonnie
NJ
http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm
 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by Nedr » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:17:20


Thanks Bonnie...  will have to go re-figure my fish load to see how it
compares with yours...

Nedra
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836


Quote:


> > Bonnie,  how many Koi?  How big are they?  and other fish...  how many?
I
> > thought I was feeding mine alot!  Maybe not.

> > I have 5 of the original koi that are about 18".  I also have 2
butterfly
> > koi... 15 - 17 inches... and the 2 to 3 year olds are about 12" long.
Lots
> > of gold(red) fish!
> > I feed them until they are no longer interested ... about 5 to 10
minutes.
> > And I feed them 3 times a day!  What if I'm starving my sweeties??!!

> > Nedra
> > www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836

> I doubt if your starving your fish.  I have nine koi...3
> around 20-24 inches, 4 around 18 inches and 2 around 15
> inches.
> Then there are probably 20 yearlings, plus the goldfish
> (comets, sarassa, fantails and shubunkins) and 5 orfes that
> are over 12 inches.  The rosie reds are there also.
> --
> Bonnie
> NJ
> http://hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=876614
> http://www.users.fast.net/~maebe/index.htm

 
 
 

One year old ponder, but over 65

Post by kim » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:53:29


My goldfish have spawned many times over the summer but I never saw any eggs
or fry either. Then last week I pulled some water hyacinth out of the pond
and there were eggs on the roots. If I hadn't pulled some out, my goldfish
would have eaten these eggs in a few hours. I put the water hyacinth in an
aquarium to see how they do. They hatched last Thursday. So just to let you
know, you might never see eggs or fry (babies) unless you look for the eggs
right after they spawn. Your pond sounds very nice F.G., When do we get to
see photos? Kim