OT - ka30p - OT

Description of your first forum.

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by kathy » Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:02:13



For some reason my computer and/or aol has decided to block
me from rec.ponds via parental controls, even though parental
controls is not set for blocking.
Who knows if I can get this fixed, or if I have the time to
get it fixed... anyway, I signed on with google and will read
stuff here. Not as easy to read from here but we'll muddle on.

Re: the time I don't have right now - youngest, 14, son managed to
break his ankle in PE on Thursday morning. Had surgery yesterday
to put in plates, pins and screws. will bring him home today and
he's into healing until mid-July. Luckily the plaster cast only
stays on two weeks. He'll be on crutches with a boot type cast
for a month. No more PE, no more school bus, activate the mom
bus. Big brother has taken over the catching of the bullfrog
and will make his first attempts this weekend. The weather has
turned cooler so that may help or hinder, we'll see.

kathy :-)

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by Nedr » Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:35:58


Kathy,  what a rotten bit of luck ... just as the weather starts
getting nice - Give Travis a Big Hug for me.  He must have
really done a job on that ankle...

Get Well, Travis.

Nedra
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/4836
http://community.webshots.com/user/nedra118


Quote:
> For some reason my computer and/or aol has decided to block
> me from rec.ponds via parental controls, even though parental
> controls is not set for blocking.
> Who knows if I can get this fixed, or if I have the time to
> get it fixed... anyway, I signed on with google and will read
> stuff here. Not as easy to read from here but we'll muddle on.

> Re: the time I don't have right now - youngest, 14, son managed to
> break his ankle in PE on Thursday morning. Had surgery yesterday
> to put in plates, pins and screws. will bring him home today and
> he's into healing until mid-July. Luckily the plaster cast only
> stays on two weeks. He'll be on crutches with a boot type cast
> for a month. No more PE, no more school bus, activate the mom
> bus. Big brother has taken over the catching of the bullfrog
> and will make his first attempts this weekend. The weather has
> turned cooler so that may help or hinder, we'll see.

> kathy :-)

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by really ka3 » Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:04:22


Thanks Nedra!
He is home now and I think it is sinking in, it is going to be a long haul.
Still on pain meds.

On the lady bullfrog front. Put eldest son and good friend on the job. The frog
got smart. She started jumping as soon as she spotted them. Last time they
chased her into the bog (big ***age boy feet) and she hasn't been seen since.
She is either in hiding or, gulp, squished.
:-(
Now, bullfrogs are not native here, they eat up the native species and if a
wildlife biologist got her she'd be sent to the great pond in the sky.
But I do have a home for her with a second grade teacher's classroom. ~ If we
can catch her, if she isn't squished.

Am posting on my DH's account. For some reason my computer will allow it but
not from any other account.
Google is toooooo slow to post answers so I'll try from here.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by Nedr » Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:52:11


Kathy,  I was thinking that Travis has to be in a lot of pain.
Bless his Heart ...

Good luck on the lady bullfrog.  Hope she gets caught.- -
and gets to go to school ;-)

Nedra
http://www.moonsgarden.com/
http://www.moonsgarden.com/


Quote:

> Thanks Nedra!
> He is home now and I think it is sinking in, it is going to be a long
haul.
> Still on pain meds.

> On the lady bullfrog front. Put eldest son and good friend on the job. The
frog
> got smart. She started jumping as soon as she spotted them. Last time they
> chased her into the bog (big ***age boy feet) and she hasn't been seen
since.
> She is either in hiding or, gulp, squished.
> :-(
> Now, bullfrogs are not native here, they eat up the native species and if
a
> wildlife biologist got her she'd be sent to the great pond in the sky.
> But I do have a home for her with a second grade teacher's classroom. ~ If
we
> can catch her, if she isn't squished.

> Am posting on my DH's account. For some reason my computer will allow it
but
> not from any other account.
> Google is toooooo slow to post answers so I'll try from here.

> kathy :-)
> (still use ka30p for email
> this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by dr-s.. » Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:57:28


my mother just had her knee replaced and they use this device for cooling the knee.
it wraps around and there are tubes running thru it that carries cold water pumped
from a cooler filled with ice and water.  it both took down inflammation and pain.
she said she felt almost no pain at all (well until she had to get up and walk
around).  her recuperation was really really fast and she is back to gardening.  she
had surgery in mid Feb.  
I was just wondering if they had something like that available for other injuries.
Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://www.moonsgarden.com/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endor***ts or recommendations I make.

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by really ka3 » Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:12:01


Ingrid wrote << I was just wondering if they had something like that available
for other injuries.
 >>

Not that we heard of but it sounds great!
Especially for a knee.
We are hauling big bags of ice home from the grocery store and checking in the
middle of the night to make sure they are still on his ankle. Two more days of
24 hr. ice and then the swelling problem should be gone.
Glad she's back to gardening! We moved youngest son's computer into the living
room so he can still work and play on his dearest hobby.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by chago » Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:18:40


Quote:

> my mother just had her knee replaced and they use this device for cooling the knee.
> it wraps around and there are tubes running thru it that carries cold water pumped
> from a cooler filled with ice and water.  it both took down inflammation and pain.
> she said she felt almost no pain at all (well until she had to get up and walk
> around).  her recuperation was really really fast and she is back to gardening.  she
> had surgery in mid Feb.  
> I was just wondering if they had something like that available for other injuries.
> Ingrid

Ingrid

I did some heat stress reasearch for a company I was working for last
year. I do not have a copy of the info any more, but I was able to find
some of the sites. They may or may not help with your particular request.

Specially designed circulation pads available in knee, shoulder and
small & large sized multi-use configurations.
Orthopaedic Medical Supplies
http://www.tinyurl.com/ystvw

some other info
http://www.techtv.com/news/sportstech/story/0,24195,3401278,00.html
http://www.proorthopedic.com/versastandard.html
http://www.msaa.com/pdfs/coolbk2ed.pdf
http://www.2bcool.com/
http://www.ankleshop.com/theracool.htm
http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/cool_therapy.html

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by dr-s.. » Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:02:46


yep. that is them.  they are wonderful.  Ingrid

Quote:

>I did some heat stress reasearch for a company I was working for last
>year. I do not have a copy of the info any more, but I was able to find
>some of the sites. They may or may not help with your particular request.

>Specially designed circulation pads available in knee, shoulder and
>small & large sized multi-use configurations.
>Orthopaedic Medical Supplies
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/

>some other info
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/,24195,3401278,00.html
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/

>Chagoi
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://www.moonsgarden.com/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endor***ts or recommendations I make.
 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by Susan H. Simk » Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:11:25


My s.o. and I were both given cryo***by our ortho surgeons.  (Yeah,
we both have a bad habit of ripping up knees and one of our "bonding
moments" in courtship was to learn we had the same surgeon.  *laugh*)
They are a bit cheaper than some of the other links I have seen.

http://www.moonsgarden.com/

No electricity or pump (I know, I just foiled plans of converting it
into a mim-pond when done), just a thermos, tubing and the cuff.  Mine
has gotten me through several surgeries with just tylenol and advil for
pain.  I'm extremely sensitive to painkillers as I learned after my
first surgery.  Warning, never run to the bathroom immediately after you
have had knee surgery, forgetting you're supposed to be on crutches.

Susan

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by really ka3 » Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:19:05


Susan wrote
Quote:
>>http://www.cryocuff.com/<<

thanks!
I've got it bookmarked for future reference.
This will by youngest son's third trip to physical therapy in a year! First was
for getting smacked in the knee with football helmet (attached to a big 8th
grader), second for getting smacked while riding in the former volvo by a
pickup truck driven by a crazed Christmas shopper and this broken ankle which
he managed all by himself.
I think they ought to name a wing of the clinic after him...

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by dr-s.. » Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:36:11


I wonder how that works then with no little pump (of course I got all kinds of little
pumps around the house).  Ingrid


Quote:
>http://www.moonsgarden.com/

>No electricity or pump (I know, I just foiled plans of converting it
>into a mim-pond when done), just a thermos, tubing and the cuff.  Mine
>has gotten me through several surgeries with just tylenol and advil for
>pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://www.moonsgarden.com/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endor***ts or recommendations I make.
 
 
 

OT - ka30p - OT

Post by Susan H. Simk » Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:31:32


Quote:

> I wonder how that works then with no little pump (of course I got all kinds of little
> pumps around the house).

It's actually very simple.  There's a valve on the thermos and there may
be another one on the cuff.  (It's been a few years since my last
surgery - I'm trying to put off the next one as long as I can.)  Open
it, leaving the thermos on the floor and the water drains from the cuff
to the thermos.  Pick it up higher than the cuff and it refills.  Close
valve.  My favourite place to put it when filling was on the back of the
couch since I was usually on the couch while recuperating from my
various surgeries.

I've had mine for about 12 years now.  Nice thing about no pump is no
mechanical parts to break down.  Usually (as we all know) that tends to
happen (or be dicovered) at critical times when immediate replacement is
either *very* expensive if not impossible.

Susan