Any recommendations for an electrically efficient submersible pump available in Canada?

Description of your first forum.

Any recommendations for an electrically efficient submersible pump available in Canada?

Post by Suzanne Lapierr » Fri, 24 May 2002 07:08:20



The pool is about 2500 - 3000 gallons.

We seem to have a limited selection in our area.

TIA

 
 
 

Any recommendations for an electrically efficient submersible pump available in Canada?

Post by John Thomas Smit » Fri, 24 May 2002 07:57:39


On Wed, 22 May 2002 18:08:20 -0400, Suzanne Lapierre

Quote:

>The pool is about 2500 - 3000 gallons.
>We seem to have a limited selection in our area.

In general, I do not recommend submersible for fish ponds
1-hard to keep the input clean
2-rare, but "can" short and kill fish

Having said that, the AquaFlo has "fairly" low electricity use, click
on Pumps at the direct2u link (shipping to Canada is higher)

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

 
 
 

Any recommendations for an electrically efficient submersible pump available in Canada?

Post by Gale Pearc » Fri, 24 May 2002 08:52:03


">

Quote:
> In general, I do not recommend submersible for fish ponds

   As long as you can isolate the pump to get rid of the humming (similar to
a pool pump)
   - and you do not have to worry about losing the 'prime' with a
submersible

Quote:
> 1-hard to keep the input clean

   You do not believe in the use of  either a 'prefilter' (can be a mesh
container to hold leaves and dead vegetation back away from pump) or a
skimmer?

Quote:
> 2-rare, but "can" short and kill fish

  NOT if you use a GFIC circuit
Quote:

> Having said that, the AquaFlo has "fairly" low electricity use, click
> on Pumps at the direct2u link (shipping to Canada is higher)

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

 
 
 

Any recommendations for an electrically efficient submersible pump available in Canada?

Post by MJB » Fri, 24 May 2002 10:31:32


No Laguna or Little Giant in your area? Our Laguna has been running
non-stop for four summer seasons (it goes out of the pond and a bubbler
goes in for the winter. Haven't lost a fish yet).
Mike from Oakville, Ontario.
Quote:

> The pool is about 2500 - 3000 gallons.

> We seem to have a limited selection in our area.

> TIA

 
 
 

Any recommendations for an electrically efficient submersible pump available in Canada?

Post by Rod Farl » Sat, 25 May 2002 03:35:05


The key to efficiency isn't just selecting a brand, but a model which
will operate near its design head.  Head is the height the water will
be raised above the pond surface.  
Without knowing what your head is, it's impossible to recommend a
specific pump that will do the job efficiently.
You're certainly asking the right question, though!  The cost of
electricity to operate a pump for a year is often more than the
purchase price of the pump.  
- Rod