I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Description of your first forum.

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Ron » Thu, 10 May 2001 09:52:59



I live alone, so Im working Monday thru Fridays 9: -5
How loud will the bird be when im not home, or even when Im home.
I live in a Townhouse and dont want the naighbors getting mad due to the
noise.
I am definitly considering a newly weaned bird.
Any responses are welcomed:

Ron

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Miria » Thu, 10 May 2001 12:12:25


Ron,

I live in an apartment and work during the day. There have been no problems
with my CAG being too loud. From what I've read, they're not loud birds and
I decided on an AG based on an article in Bird Talk on "Apartment birds."
The article talked about the various birds and which ones were good for an
apartment. Hopes this helps.
 Tibbit: you want to leave the TV on during the day so they receive visual
and auditory stimulation and also different types of toys in the cage to
keep them busy.

Miriam


Quote:
> I live alone, so Im working Monday thru Fridays 9: -5
> How loud will the bird be when im not home, or even when Im home.
> I live in a Townhouse and dont want the naighbors getting mad due to the
> noise.
> I am definitly considering a newly weaned bird.
> Any responses are welcomed:

> Ron


 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by S Ada » Thu, 10 May 2001 17:16:29



Quote:
> I live alone, so Im working Monday thru Fridays 9: -5
> How loud will the bird be when im not home, or even

from my experiences with my TAG as well as another CAG that i know, they are
not really loud or noisy birds. Maybe the occasional whistling and imitating
of the telephone ( i think done mainly to attract attention if someone is
around) but nothing serious enough to get you thrown out.
 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Theodo » Thu, 10 May 2001 20:45:26


Mine is not very loud either.

Theodor



Quote:
> I live alone, so Im working Monday thru Fridays 9: -5
> How loud will the bird be when im not home, or even when Im home.
> I live in a Townhouse and dont want the naighbors getting mad due to the
> noise.
> I am definitly considering a newly weaned bird.
> Any responses are welcomed:

> Ron


 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by oldmoll » Thu, 10 May 2001 21:22:28


it won,t be loud but it may be lonely.

--

remove your teeth to reply

Quote:
> Mine is not very loud either.

> Theodor



> > I live alone, so Im working Monday thru Fridays 9: -5
> > How loud will the bird be when im not home, or even when Im home.
> > I live in a Townhouse and dont want the naighbors getting mad due to the
> > noise.
> > I am definitly considering a newly weaned bird.
> > Any responses are welcomed:

> > Ron


 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Theodo » Thu, 10 May 2001 21:47:27




Quote:
> it won,t be loud but it may be lonely.

He ought not to be. I spend most of the day from 11 am till I go to sleep in
the same room as he - in fact right next to him. When I said he is not loud,
I don't mean that he doesn't say anything - that used to be a problem
earlier, but is definately not the problem now - what I meant to say is that
he is not screaming so loudly that the neighbours have much reason to
complain.

Theodor

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Miria » Thu, 10 May 2001 23:33:01


Theodor,

I think what Oldmolly was implying was that he will be alone during the day
while most of us have to go out and make a living. Oldmolly, most of us,
unlike you, don't have the luxury of being home with our bird/s all day.
Therefore, we provide them with the necessary stimulation while we're gone
so they don't become "lonely." Then, well, let me speak for myself. I get up
much earlier to provide attention before I leave, then when I come home, she
gets attention until her 9:00 bedtime.

Miriam

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Ellen f. Lefle » Thu, 10 May 2001 13:15:18


yes miriam i agree with you because  single and work to  pumpkin get his radio
and he talks to the cat. i know they said  greys only sleep in dark.  but days
that i have off pumpkin seem to sleep during the day and does not want to be
play with. has anyone else see this in their bird.
Quote:

> Theodor,

> I think what Oldmolly was implying was that he will be alone during the day
> while most of us have to go out and make a living. Oldmolly, most of us,
> unlike you, don't have the luxury of being home with our bird/s all day.
> Therefore, we provide them with the necessary stimulation while we're gone
> so they don't become "lonely." Then, well, let me speak for myself. I get up
> much earlier to provide attention before I leave, then when I come home, she
> gets attention until her 9:00 bedtime.

> Miriam

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by oldmoll » Fri, 11 May 2001 02:07:20


I wasn,t implying that you all leave your birds to a sad and lonely life. I
was trying to make ron aware that he will need to make a lot of effort and
arrange his day and home so that this won,t happen.
I felt that if nobody mentioned it, he might not think about the
implications of a bird being alone all day. As for my luxury of being at
home all day, believe me, not many would enjoy the luxury of a painful
disability, which makes it not only possible but compulsory that I am at
home.
I am sure that just about everyone here has heard of birds that feather
pluck, scream, or show other signs of distress when they have been left all
day and then ignored because their owners are busy cooking, cleaning,
shopping etc when they get home. There are ways to alleviate boredom as I am
sure most of you also know, like leaving a radio on, or getting another
bird, even a budgie to chirp to.
I had no intention of, and no need to try to tell anyone hear how to care
for their birds as i would be teaching granny to suck eggs, but a newcomer
needs to look at all the angles and think about things carefully before
buying a bird, as I,m sure you will agree.

--

remove your teeth to reply


Quote:
> yes miriam i agree with you because  single and work to  pumpkin get his
radio
> and he talks to the cat. i know they said  greys only sleep in dark.  but
days
> that i have off pumpkin seem to sleep during the day and does not want to
be
> play with. has anyone else see this in their bird.


> > Theodor,

> > I think what Oldmolly was implying was that he will be alone during the
day
> > while most of us have to go out and make a living. Oldmolly, most of us,
> > unlike you, don't have the luxury of being home with our bird/s all day.
> > Therefore, we provide them with the necessary stimulation while we're
gone
> > so they don't become "lonely." Then, well, let me speak for myself. I
get up
> > much earlier to provide attention before I leave, then when I come home,
she
> > gets attention until her 9:00 bedtime.

> > Miriam

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Lisa A Leutheus » Fri, 11 May 2001 07:43:35



Quote:

>Ron,

>I live in an apartment and work during the day. There have been no problems
>with my CAG being too loud. From what I've read, they're not loud birds and

I can hear my CAG outside of the house over 50 feet away.

--
Lisa Leutheuser  
eal (at) umich.edu  
http://www.umich.edu/~eal

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by pooya » Fri, 11 May 2001 10:57:09


I have a TAG, and he rarely makes much noise that is above the level of
normal talking.


Quote:
> I live alone, so Im working Monday thru Fridays 9: -5
> How loud will the bird be when im not home, or even when Im home.
> I live in a Townhouse and dont want the naighbors getting mad due to the
> noise.
> I am definitly considering a newly weaned bird.
> Any responses are welcomed:

> Ron


 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by pooya » Fri, 11 May 2001 11:00:12



Quote:
> I am sure that just about everyone here has heard of birds that feather
> pluck, scream, or show other signs of distress when they have been left
all
> day and then ignored because their owners are busy cooking, cleaning,
> shopping etc when they get home.

That may be a reason some pluck, but not the reason.  In fact my TAG tends
to only pluck when people come to my house (and then, not always).  He never
plucks when he is alone or just I am there.
 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Miria » Fri, 11 May 2001 11:10:46


Ummmm,

So you've actually measured that distance?



Quote:


> >Ron,

> >I live in an apartment and work during the day. There have been no
problems
> >with my CAG being too loud. From what I've read, they're not loud birds
and

> I can hear my CAG outside of the house over 50 feet away.

> --
> Lisa Leutheuser
> eal (at) umich.edu
> http://www.umich.edu/~eal

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by Miria » Fri, 11 May 2001 11:15:09


Oldmolly,

That was mention on an earlier post in this thread about ways to keep them
stimulated during the day while we're at work. Perhaps you did not read the
whole thread before your reply.

Miriam


Quote:
> I wasn,t implying that you all leave your birds to a sad and lonely life.
I
> was trying to make ron aware that he will need to make a lot of effort and
> arrange his day and home so that this won,t happen.
> I felt that if nobody mentioned it, he might not think about the
> implications of a bird being alone all day. As for my luxury of being at
> home all day, believe me, not many would enjoy the luxury of a painful
> disability, which makes it not only possible but compulsory that I am at
> home.
> I am sure that just about everyone here has heard of birds that feather
> pluck, scream, or show other signs of distress when they have been left
all
> day and then ignored because their owners are busy cooking, cleaning,
> shopping etc when they get home. There are ways to alleviate boredom as I
am
> sure most of you also know, like leaving a radio on, or getting another
> bird, even a budgie to chirp to.
> I had no intention of, and no need to try to tell anyone hear how to care
> for their birds as i would be teaching granny to suck eggs, but a newcomer
> needs to look at all the angles and think about things carefully before
> buying a bird, as I,m sure you will agree.

> --

> remove your teeth to reply


> > yes miriam i agree with you because  single and work to  pumpkin get his
> radio
> > and he talks to the cat. i know they said  greys only sleep in dark.
but
> days
> > that i have off pumpkin seem to sleep during the day and does not want
to
> be
> > play with. has anyone else see this in their bird.


> > > Theodor,

> > > I think what Oldmolly was implying was that he will be alone during
the
> day
> > > while most of us have to go out and make a living. Oldmolly, most of
us,
> > > unlike you, don't have the luxury of being home with our bird/s all
day.
> > > Therefore, we provide them with the necessary stimulation while we're
> gone
> > > so they don't become "lonely." Then, well, let me speak for myself. I
> get up
> > > much earlier to provide attention before I leave, then when I come
home,
> she
> > > gets attention until her 9:00 bedtime.

> > > Miriam

 
 
 

I am considering an Congo African Grey but...

Post by oldmoll » Fri, 11 May 2001 18:38:58


when I posted my reply the thread was not there. We both posted the same day
miriam I spose mine was visible to me before yours was.
Heck if my advice to a newbie is going to make people so upset then I will
leave you all to it.

--

remove your teeth to reply

Quote:
> Oldmolly,

> That was mention on an earlier post in this thread about ways to keep them
> stimulated during the day while we're at work. Perhaps you did not read
the
> whole thread before your reply.

> Miriam



> > I wasn,t implying that you all leave your birds to a sad and lonely
life.
> I
> > was trying to make ron aware that he will need to make a lot of effort
and
> > arrange his day and home so that this won,t happen.
> > I felt that if nobody mentioned it, he might not think about the
> > implications of a bird being alone all day. As for my luxury of being at
> > home all day, believe me, not many would enjoy the luxury of a painful
> > disability, which makes it not only possible but compulsory that I am at
> > home.
> > I am sure that just about everyone here has heard of birds that feather
> > pluck, scream, or show other signs of distress when they have been left
> all
> > day and then ignored because their owners are busy cooking, cleaning,
> > shopping etc when they get home. There are ways to alleviate boredom as
I
> am
> > sure most of you also know, like leaving a radio on, or getting another
> > bird, even a budgie to chirp to.
> > I had no intention of, and no need to try to tell anyone hear how to
care
> > for their birds as i would be teaching granny to suck eggs, but a
newcomer
> > needs to look at all the angles and think about things carefully before
> > buying a bird, as I,m sure you will agree.

> > --

> > remove your teeth to reply


> > > yes miriam i agree with you because  single and work to  pumpkin get
his
> > radio
> > > and he talks to the cat. i know they said  greys only sleep in dark.
> but
> > days
> > > that i have off pumpkin seem to sleep during the day and does not want
> to
> > be
> > > play with. has anyone else see this in their bird.


> > > > Theodor,

> > > > I think what Oldmolly was implying was that he will be alone during
> the
> > day
> > > > while most of us have to go out and make a living. Oldmolly, most of
> us,
> > > > unlike you, don't have the luxury of being home with our bird/s all
> day.
> > > > Therefore, we provide them with the necessary stimulation while
we're
> > gone
> > > > so they don't become "lonely." Then, well, let me speak for myself.
I
> > get up
> > > > much earlier to provide attention before I leave, then when I come
> home,
> > she
> > > > gets attention until her 9:00 bedtime.

> > > > Miriam