Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Description of your first forum.

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by Jonathan Higb » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00



Proposal:

The removal of the groups alt.pets.parrots.misc and
alt.pets.parrots.marketplace. The other alt.pets.parrots.* groups have
some purpose, but the .misc and .marketplace groups serve almost no
purpose.

Reasons for removal:

alt.pets.parrots.misc - rec.pets.birds is the catch all group for pet
birds - therefore alt.pets.parrots.misc serves no purpose and is
highly redundant.

alt.pets.parrots.marketplace - low-key non-repetative for sale ads
have been generally welcome in rec.pets.birds.
alt.pets.parrots.marketplace is mostly not posted to nor read much and
is redundant at present. The main posters to this group are spammers.
Low-key non-repetative on-topic for sale ads can just as well go in
the other alt.pets.parrots.* groups and in rec.pets.birds.

Proponent:


The birdage nature of enlightenment:
http://www.qcontinuum.com/~jhigbee/

 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by dpen.. » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Proposal:

>The removal of the groups alt.pets.parrots.misc and
>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace. The other alt.pets.parrots.* groups have
>some purpose, but the .misc and .marketplace groups serve almost no
>purpose.

>Reasons for removal:

>alt.pets.parrots.misc - rec.pets.birds is the catch all group for pet
>birds - therefore alt.pets.parrots.misc serves no purpose and is
>highly redundant.

>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace - low-key non-repetative for sale ads
>have been generally welcome in rec.pets.birds.
>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace is mostly not posted to nor read much and
>is redundant at present. The main posters to this group are spammers.
>Low-key non-repetative on-topic for sale ads can just as well go in
>the other alt.pets.parrots.* groups and in rec.pets.birds.

>Proponent:


>The birdage nature of enlightenment:
>http://www.qcontinuum.com/~jhigbee/

Why is it of so much interest to you that these groups are removed?
 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by Jacek Szaniaws » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00


yes. only because I don't have these groups on  my server

Jacek Szaniawski

Quote:

>Proposal:

>The removal of the groups alt.pets.parrots.misc and
>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace. The other alt.pets.parrots.* groups have
>some purpose, but the .misc and .marketplace groups serve almost no
>purpose.

>Reasons for removal:

>alt.pets.parrots.misc - rec.pets.birds is the catch all group for pet
>birds - therefore alt.pets.parrots.misc serves no purpose and is
>highly redundant.

>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace - low-key non-repetative for sale ads
>have been generally welcome in rec.pets.birds.
>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace is mostly not posted to nor read much and
>is redundant at present. The main posters to this group are spammers.
>Low-key non-repetative on-topic for sale ads can just as well go in
>the other alt.pets.parrots.* groups and in rec.pets.birds.

>Proponent:


>The birdage nature of enlightenment:
>http://www.qcontinuum.com/~jhigbee/

 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by Joan » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00


I just found it, but I like the idea. Perhaps it could be moderated to
avoid flame wars like some of the other unmoderated lists.

just a thought.

jh

Quote:

> Proposal:

> The removal of the groups alt.pets.parrots.misc and
> alt.pets.parrots.marketplace. The other alt.pets.parrots.* groups have
> some purpose, but the .misc and .marketplace groups serve almost no
> purpose.

> Reasons for removal:

> alt.pets.parrots.misc - rec.pets.birds is the catch all group for pet
> birds - therefore alt.pets.parrots.misc serves no purpose and is
> highly redundant.

> alt.pets.parrots.marketplace - low-key non-repetative for sale ads
> have been generally welcome in rec.pets.birds.
> alt.pets.parrots.marketplace is mostly not posted to nor read much and
> is redundant at present. The main posters to this group are spammers.
> Low-key non-repetative on-topic for sale ads can just as well go in
> the other alt.pets.parrots.* groups and in rec.pets.birds.

> Proponent:


> The birdage nature of enlightenment:
> http://www.qcontinuum.com/~jhigbee/

Joan and Charmaine (Umbie, 2 yrs old)


|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
And in the end, the Love you take, is equal to the Love you make.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by Jonathan Higb » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00


In alt.config on Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:19:26 GMT, the entity

Quote:

<clip>

>>The removal of the groups alt.pets.parrots.misc and
>>alt.pets.parrots.marketplace. The other alt.pets.parrots.* groups have
>>some purpose, but the .misc and .marketplace groups serve almost no
>>purpose.

<clip>
>Why is it of so much interest to you that these groups are removed?

Because in my view:

1. They are a waste.
2. They detract from the proper groups for such things.
3. There are almost no posts to them because a.) they are not widely
carried, and b.) they are often full of spam, and c.) other groups
work just fine for such things. rec.pets.birds could be considered
"alt.pets.parrots.misc," and the marketplace items are already being
posted to rec.pets.birds and the other alt.pets.parrots.* groups.
Because of the low volume of marketplace related posts to
rec.pets.birds and the other alt.pets.parrots.* groups is so low, I
don't think we need a marketplace group, not now, and not in the
foreseeable future.

If there is now a great desire for alt.pets.parrots.marketplace then
let those advocating such a group speak now.


The birdage nature of enlightenment:
http://www.qcontinuum.com/~jhigbee/

 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by Dan Metca » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00


--snip--

Quote:
>>Why is it of so much interest to you that these groups are removed?

>Because in my view:

>1. They are a waste.
>2. They detract from the proper groups for such things.
>3. There are almost no posts to them because

--snip--

I have to disagree.  I just found out about this group today and have wanted
to see something like it for sometime now.  Actually, I would just like to
have an alt.pets.parrots

We have 2 conures, which are parrots, and discussions regarding them certainly
don't belong on the African Grey group.  I'm sure there are those out there
that are Macaw, Amazon, Parrotlet and other species owners that feel a little
left out in the newsgroups.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan Metcalf

 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by LED » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00


I had never even heard of these groups.  I don't know fo the usefulness
of alt.pets.parrots.misc, but alt.pets.parrots.marketplace sounds like,
if more people knew of it, it might get some traffic.

 
 
 

Proposal: removal of the specific groups alt.pets.parrots.marketplace and alt.pets.parrots.misc

Post by Sue » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00


I agree that we should keep these groups.  Who knows where they will
go?  They certainly aren't hurting anything by just being here.

Quote:

> I had never even heard of these groups.  I don't know fo the usefulness
> of alt.pets.parrots.misc, but alt.pets.parrots.marketplace sounds like,
> if more people knew of it, it might get some traffic.

--

        ... Sue   :-)

                If your Bible is in good shape . . .
                Your life probably isn't!

                                - PTL -

Please visit "Sue's Plain Vanilla HomePage"
<http://www.inconnect.com/~sue>