wet cage.

Description of your first forum.

wet cage.

Post by moon » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00



hi,
so, i use paper towels as bedding in my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in
her water bowl making the entire cage wet. but if i change it she just
does it again. she sleeps on the wet part on hot days...do you think she
could get sick from doing this? (her food also soaks up the water but
the dries.. lab blocks)
thanks,
cath*
 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by <tlfw.. » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Water bowls don't work particuarly well with mice--if they don't tip them
over they put stuff into them.  If you can switch to a water bottle it would
probably be much easier for you.  I'm not sure if she can get sick from
sleeping on the wet, but be careful that her food doesn't mold!

Tess

Quote:

>hi,
>so, i use paper towels as bedding in my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
>my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in
>her water bowl making the entire cage wet. but if i change it she just
>does it again. she sleeps on the wet part on hot days...do you think she
>could get sick from doing this? (her food also soaks up the water but
>the dries.. lab blocks)
>thanks,
>cath*

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by Star & Tro » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Give her a water bottle rather than a bowl of water.

Star


Quote:
> hi,
> so, i use paper towels as bedding in my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
> my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in
> her water bowl making the entire cage wet. but if i change it she just
> does it again. she sleeps on the wet part on hot days...do you think she
> could get sick from doing this? (her food also soaks up the water but
> the dries.. lab blocks)
> thanks,
> cath*

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by moon » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00


yeah, it's just that the kind of cage they're in would make it really
difficult. it would be too high for them to reach. and anyway, do you think
they'd figure it out after all this time with a bowl?
cath*
Quote:

> Give her a water bottle rather than a bowl of water.

> Star


> > hi,
> > so, i use paper towels as bedding in my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
> > my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in
> > her water bowl making the entire cage wet. but if i change it she just
> > does it again. she sleeps on the wet part on hot days...do you think she
> > could get sick from doing this? (her food also soaks up the water but
> > the dries.. lab blocks)
> > thanks,
> > cath*

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by Michael Pla » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00


If I understand the situation correctly Soma has figured out that if she
dips a corner of the paper towel into the water bowl, the paper will get
nice and wet and cool.  A mouse of such rarified intellect will surely
figure out the water-on-demand bottle.

Quote:

>yeah, it's just that the kind of cage they're in would make it really
>difficult. it would be too high for them to reach. and anyway, do you think
>they'd figure it out after all this time with a bowl?
>cath*


>> Give her a water bottle rather than a bowl of water.

>> Star


>> > hi,
>> > so, i use paper towels as bedding in my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
>> > my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in
>> > her water bowl making the entire cage wet. but if i change it she just
>> > does it again. she sleeps on the wet part on hot days...do you think she
>> > could get sick from doing this? (her food also soaks up the water but
>> > the dries.. lab blocks)
>> > thanks,
>> > cath*

--

Brooklyn, USA
 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by Rachel Antoni » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
>my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
>my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in

I can't help, but i just thought it was odd someone else has a mousie named
Soma :)

~
Rachel
http://members.aol.com/pixelberry (under construction)

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by Emily Bickell & Peter Harr » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00


If you're worried about the bottle sitting too high for them to reach,
try building up some "stairs" of boxes, or a big rock (or rocks in
graduated sizes -- but not a pile as it could shift and hurt someone)
for them to climb up on. They'll get the idea to drink just from the
smell of the water - instinct and all that. And if your mice are
anything like ours, they'll get a big kick out of climbing up things
on the way to the water :)
Emily.


Quote:

>If I understand the situation correctly Soma has figured out that if she
>dips a corner of the paper towel into the water bowl, the paper will get
>nice and wet and cool.  A mouse of such rarified intellect will surely
>figure out the water-on-demand bottle.


>>yeah, it's just that the kind of cage they're in would make it really
>>difficult. it would be too high for them to reach. and anyway, do you think
>>they'd figure it out after all this time with a bowl?
>>cath*

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by Heather M. Fieldhous » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00


On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:26:52 -0400, moon wrote

Quote:

> yeah, it's just that the kind of cage they're in would make it really
> difficult. it would be too high for them to reach. and anyway, do you think
> they'd figure it out after all this time with a bowl? cath*

I don't know what your cage setup is like, so this might be totally
inapplicable.  But at one point I had a water bottle meant to hang on the edge
of an aquarium, but the aquarium was too high.  So I just attached a bit of
wire to the water bottle's hanger to extend it down lower, if that makes any
sense.

As for learning to use a water bottle -- well, I once briefly took in an
injured wild house mouse.  I wanted to make sure it knew how to use the bottle,
so I touched my finger to the bottle and then to the mouse's little snout for
it to*** off.  After a couple rounds of that, it proceeded right over to the
bottle and had a drink on its own.

Heather

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by ikit » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Tell me about it. My mice fill up the water dish up with the woodchips in
less than three hours! =) neek neek

--

Aaron Smith
Sonic.net
tech support
(707) 547-3400
http://www.sonic.net/


Quote:
> Water bowls don't work particuarly well with mice--if they don't tip them
> over they put stuff into them.  If you can switch to a water bottle it
would
> probably be much easier for you.  I'm not sure if she can get sick from
> sleeping on the wet, but be careful that her food doesn't mold!

> Tess


> >hi,
> >so, i use paper towels as bedding in my mouse cages (upon suggestion by
> >my vet) and one of them, soma, keeps lifting the edge and putting it in
> >her water bowl making the entire cage wet. but if i change it she just
> >does it again. she sleeps on the wet part on hot days...do you think she
> >could get sick from doing this? (her food also soaks up the water but
> >the dries.. lab blocks)
> >thanks,
> >cath*

 
 
 

wet cage.

Post by Hllwre » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00


check out www.amazingmazes.net
for a cage that needs on bedding. It stays completely dry.