New mice owner

Description of your first forum.

New mice owner

Post by mih » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:32:12



Hello:)

I just got two male mice, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good web site
that would educate me as to what I need to do. I think I have gotten the basics
down, but I would like to be sure:)

Thanks!!

miho

 
 
 

New mice owner

Post by Flykill » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
>I just got two male mice, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good web
>site
>that would educate me as to what I need to do.

Supply clean water, food, and a clean cage.  They must have a wheel.  Make sure
they don't freeze or overheat.  Males squabble and fight, so don't worry about
it unless you see *** or injuries.  If you see *** or injuries, separate
them into individual cages immediately and do not house them together again.
Mice will eat almost anything -- I usually feed mine a dab of vegetable oil on
wheat bread, but also occassional grains, peanut butter, cheese, cooking oil,
oatmeal, spaghetti, and whatever else I have handy.  Most mice don't eat greens
or carrots, but some do -- give it to them occassionally just so they have the
option.

Beyond that, there's not much too it.  Mice play a lot when they're young, and
it's fun to watch, so set aside some time once in a while to watch them.  Take
them out and hold them too, and they'll stay reasonably friendly.

what we need right now is a full frontal ***.

 
 
 

New mice owner

Post by Michael Plant 1/6/ » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:

> Hello:)

> I just got two male mice, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good
web site
> that would educate me as to what I need to do. I think I have gotten the
basics
> down, but I would like to be sure:)

> Thanks!!

> miho

Miho,

I can refer you to http://www.horns.freeserve.co.uk/mouse.htm. Her site is
extensive and the information accurate. Also,
http://redrival.com/finnmouse/engp/home.html. This is another excellent
site.

Mike and the mice

 
 
 

New mice owner

Post by mih » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:02:00


Thanks for the info to both of you!!:) My mice seem to be doing ok.... except
they seem to be squabbling. I noticed that one of them had his ears nicked, but
that was the extent of his injury. Is this cause for immediate separation? I
read on one of the pages that this may go on for a little bit while they each
get used to their new home and try to reestablish their hierarchy. I don't want
to separate them unless its absolutely necessary because then they will be
alone. Thanks!!

miho

 
 
 

New mice owner

Post by Flykill » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:26:43


Quote:
>Thanks for the info to both of you!!:) My mice seem to be doing ok.... except
>they seem to be squabbling. I noticed that one of them had his ears nicked,
>but
>that was the extent of his injury. Is this cause for immediate separation?

I wouldn't, yet.  But you must always check every day, not out of any fearful
expectation but just to be sure.  Also, if one has no injuries but is acting
beat-up and depressed, then go ahead and remove him.  Yes, you can tell if
they're depressed -- they look it, they act like it, and they become very
friendly.  I've never seen a friendly mouse that wasn't dying or severely
dominated.

Quote:
>I
>read on one of the pages that this may go on for a little bit while they each
>get used to their new home and try to reestablish their hierarchy.

Usually they establish a pecking order, and then stick with it.  For an
exception, I've had a batch of brothers together for quite a while.  The
original cage boss was *** for about six months, and then lost his
*** to another male who injured him so badly that he died after a few
days or so -- I'm not sure if it was the injury, or what seemed to be a
depression that settled on him, that killed him, but die he did.  A third male
in the cage is a total wimp, and has never fought anything at all ( he has
incredibly thick soft fur, almost like a rabbit's, so we'll be breeding him
next -- sorry boys! ) .

what we need right now is a full frontal ***.