Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Description of your first forum.

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Kell » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 07:38:43



I watched Fear Factor as I always do last night.  It is a show where 6
people have to "face their fears" and partake in 3 separate competitions.

The second competition was that the person had to put their head in a box,
and the box was 1/4 filled with rats.  As they had their head in the box,
they had to sort rats out of a box on their right, and sort them into white
and black rats (in boxes) on their left.  Whoever sorted the most rats won.

I was sickened by how the "sorted" rats were treated.  They were picked up
by various body parts, arms, heads, tails, etc.  They were tossed around
like a baseball.  Because the people couldn't see the sorting boxes properly
on their left, they would smash the rat into the boxes and hit their heads
everywhere.  When they finally reached the opening in the top of the box on
the left, the rat would either get thrown in with force, or dropped from
like a foot in the air... often hitting themselves on the side of the
opening as they got dropped into the box.

I was very pissed off by this obvious lack of respect for these animals in
this game.  Like "oh they are just disgusting rats, it doesn't matter".


think this is a big issue that NBC should take responsibility for.

Thanks,

Kelly

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Kell » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:20:22


<sigh> Just got an automated reply from that address and it said all e-mail
sent to the address will not be read.

Well then I have a question, why have an e-mail at all?!?!?!?

Does anyone have any contact ideas?

Kelly


Quote:
> I watched Fear Factor as I always do last night.  It is a show where 6
> people have to "face their fears" and partake in 3 separate competitions.

> The second competition was that the person had to put their head in a box,
> and the box was 1/4 filled with rats.  As they had their head in the box,
> they had to sort rats out of a box on their right, and sort them into
white
> and black rats (in boxes) on their left.  Whoever sorted the most rats
won.

> I was sickened by how the "sorted" rats were treated.  They were picked up
> by various body parts, arms, heads, tails, etc.  They were tossed around
> like a baseball.  Because the people couldn't see the sorting boxes
properly
> on their left, they would smash the rat into the boxes and hit their heads
> everywhere.  When they finally reached the opening in the top of the box
on
> the left, the rat would either get thrown in with force, or dropped from
> like a foot in the air... often hitting themselves on the side of the
> opening as they got dropped into the box.

> I was very pissed off by this obvious lack of respect for these animals in
> this game.  Like "oh they are just disgusting rats, it doesn't matter".


> think this is a big issue that NBC should take responsibility for.

> Thanks,

> Kelly

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Flykill » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:36:21


Quote:
>Does anyone have any contact ideas?

forget NBC.  they don't care what you think.  instead, watch the show again,
note the advertisers, and contact them instead.  be polite.  cite names, dates,
and times, so the advertiser knows exactly who and what you are talking about,
and explain how the animals were mistreated, so the advertiser knows exactly
what you think the problem is.  cite numbers, and say whether or not you
observed any injuries.  be straight here -- don't make stuff up, and don't pass
off opinions or guesses as facts.  then point out that the advertiser may not
want his product associated with a show that would distress so many people.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father, but
through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Anne Elvi » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 01:35:03


I have a little snippet for you...Fear Factor in Australia has just run for
three weeks...IT GOT AXED!!! Ha Ha!!! Animal abusers!
Go Kelly!!!!

Annie

Quote:
> >Does anyone have any contact ideas?

> forget NBC.  they don't care what you think.  instead, watch the show
again,
> note the advertisers, and contact them instead.  be polite.  cite names,
dates,
> and times, so the advertiser knows exactly who and what you are talking
about,
> and explain how the animals were mistreated, so the advertiser knows
exactly
> what you think the problem is.  cite numbers, and say whether or not you
> observed any injuries.  be straight here -- don't make stuff up, and don't
pass
> off opinions or guesses as facts.  then point out that the advertiser may
not
> want his product associated with a show that would distress so many
people.

> "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father,
but
> through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Flykill » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:36:17


Quote:
>Fear Factor in Australia has just run for
>three weeks...IT GOT AXED!!!

has australia turned weenie?

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father, but
through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Anne Elvi » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:40:18


weenie??????....LOL
naw....it was actually axed over a ratings battle, it sucked. The
contestants did catch eels in their mouths with their teeth which I thought
was a bit off, but hell..that's entertainment!


Quote:
> >Fear Factor in Australia has just run for
> >three weeks...IT GOT AXED!!!

> has australia turned weenie?

> "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father,
but
> through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Flykill » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:33:47


Quote:
>> has australia turned weenie?
>weenie??????....LOL
>naw....it was actually axed over a ratings battle, it sucked.

good.  I like australia.  my ship, the uss carl vinson, had been at sea for 110
days when we pulled into perth, but all the ladies said we were charming
compared to the australian men.  good people all.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father, but
through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Kiz » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:36:49


Are you based out of Everett?  USS Carl Vinson sounds familiar.  I could
well be wrong, I'm an AF brat, not Navy.  :-)  My husband and I live in
Lynnwood, so we get a lot of Navy news in the paper.

Jennifer
--
http://home1.gte.net/res08kg0


Quote:
> >> has australia turned weenie?

> >weenie??????....LOL
> >naw....it was actually axed over a ratings battle, it sucked.

> good.  I like australia.  my ship, the uss carl vinson, had been at sea
for 110
> days when we pulled into perth, but all the ladies said we were charming
> compared to the australian men.  good people all.

> "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father,
but
> through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Flykill » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 01:10:08


Quote:
>Are you based out of Everett?  USS Carl Vinson sounds familiar.

it's a carrier.  last I heard it was home ported in bremerton, washington.  I
left in 1991.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father, but
through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Kiz » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 04:15:29


Ahh, okay.  I knew it was from around here somewhere!  :-)

Jennifer
--
http://home1.gte.net/res08kg0


Quote:
> >Are you based out of Everett?  USS Carl Vinson sounds familiar.

> it's a carrier.  last I heard it was home ported in bremerton, washington.
I
> left in 1991.

> "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father,
but
> through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Patricia Alison Smit » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:10:21


Greetings, Flykiller.  I too am a Navy vet - actually, retired musician,
last duty station, Navy Band San Diego (now it is Navy Band Southwest).  I
always liked carrier changes of command the best, especially if we had to be
flown in, and all.  They had the best food.  ;-)

--
Patricia A. Smith

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Flykill » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:07:29


Quote:
>I
>always liked carrier changes of command the best, especially if we had to be
>flown in, and all.  They had the best food.

yes, I remember the food

Quote:
>I too am a Navy vet - actually, retired musician,
>last duty station, Navy Band San Diego (now it is Navy Band Southwest).

bet you didn't have nearly as much fun as we did.  gathering 'round the reactor
control panel at 0200 to scream out the theme song to the Brady Bunch (mostly
to stay awake) -- telling the airdales that the sparkly phosphorescence in our
wake was from radioactive discharges from the reactor, and that they were now
contaminated -- sleeping in the fantail while the ship made 30 knots, making
your pit bounce up and down about an inch all night long -- drinking brominated
water for six to nine months -- waves coming over the lowered elevators and
sweeping away a handful of airdales.  oh yeah, and the showers in the
wintertime.  the cold water line came up the starboard side, and the hot water
line came from the steam heater on the port side.  when the ship would roll to
port all you'd get was the 35 degree water, and when the ship rolled to
starboard all you'd get was the 200 degree water.  'course, in port it was even
more exciting, 'cause the water wasn't heated at all, and water pressure was
next to nothing, so you'd be standing there in a 35 degree steel box trying to
rinse off with this ice-cold dribble.

beats playing a tuba.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father, but
through me."  john 14:6

 
 
 

Animal Abuse: Fear Factor

Post by Patricia Alison Smit » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 05:18:59


That's why I played clarinet  *G*  Tuba was too big!

By the time they decided it was ok to send females in the music program to
the bands that went to sea (6th Fleet and 7th Fleet) and wanted to give me
orders to 7th Fleet, I was a brand spanking new first class.  Do you really
really think I wanted to go swimming off the side at midnight without my
friends?  MWUAHAHHA  not likely *G*  I decided some other first class could
take those orders, even though I could have been a chief pretty fast.  (only
way musicians make chief is to go to bands that go to sea- for the most
part.)

And, of course, as you know better than I, the idea of musicians "going to
sea" is a bit on the figurative side anyway.  They basically stay out of the
way until the big boys call...he he he.
Still, I wish I'd have been able to do 20.  I liked the life and the people
were great.  Hated the uniforms - you think the men's were bad?  Try being a
woman who is expected to look like a ***aged boy!  He he he.

Anyway, back to pet mice...
Nice thing about being out of the military is I can have pets now.  I want
to get a 50 gallon aquarium and set it up so that the boys can have lots of
tubes to run in and several wheels and ladders....they are all acrobats, my
boys.
--
Patricia A. Smith