Roborovskis fighting?

Description of your first forum.

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by maffo » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 03:56:03



My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
normal or a sign that they should be separated.

In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and squabble
twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with the other
nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in pain, and not
long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened (having a go on the
wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to mount the other, leading
to concerns that one might be a girl (I've had a look, they both seem to
be boys!)

Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on
his back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of
hierarchy?

Many thanks.

Matthew

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by wollho.. » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 05:24:37



Quote:
> My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
> normal or a sign that they should be separated.

> In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and squabble
> twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with the other
> nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in pain, and not
> long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened (having a go on the
> wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to mount the other, leading
> to concerns that one might be a girl (I've had a look, they both seem to
> be boys!)

> Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
> separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on
> his back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of
> hierarchy?

> Many thanks.

> Matthew

Don't worry, seems to me they're just into sado maso. Yano, those
Roborovskis' are originally coming out of the sovjet union and we all
know how things are up there at those Ivans, don't we. As soon they've
loaded enough vodka, things will go back to normal. Just make sure
they have enough to drink.

doc hg

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by Stephe » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:03:02


Without a lot of _unnecessary_ banter. Separate them.
And I don't think our other friend here has a clue what's happening in
the FORMER soviet union.
Or a clue to much at all for that matter.

Quote:

> My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
> normal or a sign that they should be separated.

> In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and
> squabble twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with
> the other nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in
> pain, and not long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened
> (having a go on the wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to
> mount the other, leading to concerns that one might be a girl (I've
> had a look, they both seem to be boys!)

> Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
> separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on
> his back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of
> hierarchy?

> Many thanks.

> Matthew

--
---------------------------------------

Member of:
       The Nature Conservancy
 "Protecting Nature - Preserving Life"
             nature.org
---------------------------------------

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by HammyLuver via PetKB.co » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:32:12


Word of advice, Matthew......SEPERATE THEM ASAP! When your hamsters start to
get a little touchy then that's when it's time to BREAK IT UP!!

Angel

Quote:

>My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
>normal or a sign that they should be separated.

>In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and squabble
>twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with the other
>nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in pain, and not
>long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened (having a go on the
>wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to mount the other, leading
>to concerns that one might be a girl (I've had a look, they both seem to
>be boys!)

>Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
>separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on
>his back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of
>hierarchy?

>Many thanks.

>Matthew

--
Message posted via PetKB.com
http://www.moonsgarden.com/
 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by maffo » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 03:37:27


Quote:

> Without a lot of _unnecessary_ banter. Separate them.
> And I don't think our other friend here has a clue what's happening in
> the FORMER soviet union.
> Or a clue to much at all for that matter.


>> My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
>> normal or a sign that they should be separated.

>> In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and
>> squabble twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with
>> the other nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in
>> pain, and not long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened
>> (having a go on the wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to
>> mount the other, leading to concerns that one might be a girl (I've
>> had a look, they both seem to be boys!)

>> Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
>> separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on
>> his back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of
>> hierarchy?

>> Many thanks.

>> Matthew

I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. Looks like I'll have to
go and buy a new cage.

Such a shame, they were all cuddled up together last night :( Plus one
of them will have to make do with a crappy wheel until the new Wodent
Wheel arrives.

Matthew

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by maffo » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:47:57


Quote:


>> Without a lot of _unnecessary_ banter. Separate them.
>> And I don't think our other friend here has a clue what's happening in
>> the FORMER soviet union.
>> Or a clue to much at all for that matter.


>>> My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
>>> normal or a sign that they should be separated.

>>> In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and
>>> squabble twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with
>>> the other nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in
>>> pain, and not long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened
>>> (having a go on the wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to
>>> mount the other, leading to concerns that one might be a girl (I've
>>> had a look, they both seem to be boys!)

>>> Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
>>> separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on
>>> his back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of
>>> hierarchy?

>>> Many thanks.

>>> Matthew

> I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. Looks like I'll have to
> go and buy a new cage.

> Such a shame, they were all cuddled up together last night :( Plus one
> of them will have to make do with a crappy wheel until the new Wodent
> Wheel arrives.

> Matthew

Well, they've been separated. The one who I've transplanted to a new
cage seems OK, but his brother's going crazy, in and out of various
hidey holes. I think he misses his brother :(

I know it's probably for the best but I feel really guilty :(

Matthew

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by HammyLuver via PetKB.co » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 07:48:18


It might be ok to let them interact every once and a while. But if they start
to get mean or it looks like they might start fighting, then you need to
seperate them for the day.

Quote:

>>> Without a lot of _unnecessary_ banter. Separate them.
>>> And I don't think our other friend here has a clue what's happening in
>[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]

>> Matthew

>Well, they've been separated. The one who I've transplanted to a new
>cage seems OK, but his brother's going crazy, in and out of various
>hidey holes. I think he misses his brother :(

>I know it's probably for the best but I feel really guilty :(

>Matthew

--
Message posted via http://www.petkb.com
 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by B. Robert » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:22:36


I warned you in your other post NOT to put more than one together.

Separate them immediately if you care at all about the well being of those
animals.

I don't want to sound mean, but why come here, ask for advice and then not
take it?

Stephen hit the nail on the head about our other "contributor" to this
group.

I realize there is no easy way to tell the difference between someone with
and without a clue, which is why I link to my pictures group on Webshots, so
people can see that I've personally raised and handled every ham we've ever
had here, and when I say they don't get along well 99.9% of the time, it's
from personal experience.  There are many people and even published books
online that say they can live together just fine, and because of that, we
often had people come into our pet store wondering why one of their little
furries beat up and ate or killed the other one in the habitat.  A lot of
those published materials are funded by the hammy mills that breed  hams for
major pet store chains and do plenty of things not in the best interest of
the animals.  A lot of the people who say that got EXTREMELY lucky that one
didn't kill the other.

I wish you luck with your 2 separated hams, and applaud you for getting them
each a Wodent Wheel, for that alone you are a saint compared to some.

Get some pics up when you can, I'd love to see them!

Brian & Judy & The Hamster Horde
http://www.moonsgarden.com/


Quote:
> My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
> normal or a sign that they should be separated.

> In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and squabble
> twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with the other
> nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in pain, and not
> long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened (having a go on the
> wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to mount the other, leading
> to concerns that one might be a girl (I've had a look, they both seem to
> be boys!)

> Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
> separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on his
> back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of hierarchy?

> Many thanks.

> Matthew

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by maffo » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 03:36:51


Quote:

> I warned you in your other post NOT to put more than one together.

> Separate them immediately if you care at all about the well being of those
> animals.

> I don't want to sound mean, but why come here, ask for advice and then not
> take it?

> Stephen hit the nail on the head about our other "contributor" to this
> group.

> I realize there is no easy way to tell the difference between someone with
> and without a clue, which is why I link to my pictures group on Webshots, so
> people can see that I've personally raised and handled every ham we've ever
> had here, and when I say they don't get along well 99.9% of the time, it's
> from personal experience.  There are many people and even published books
> online that say they can live together just fine, and because of that, we
> often had people come into our pet store wondering why one of their little
> furries beat up and ate or killed the other one in the habitat.  A lot of
> those published materials are funded by the hammy mills that breed  hams for
> major pet store chains and do plenty of things not in the best interest of
> the animals.  A lot of the people who say that got EXTREMELY lucky that one
> didn't kill the other.

> I wish you luck with your 2 separated hams, and applaud you for getting them
> each a Wodent Wheel, for that alone you are a saint compared to some.

> Get some pics up when you can, I'd love to see them!

> Brian & Judy & The Hamster Horde
> http://www.moonsgarden.com/



>> My Roborovskis seem to be squabbling a bit, and I'm wondering if it's
>> normal or a sign that they should be separated.

>> In the last hour or so I've seen them have a bit of a chase and squabble
>> twice, resulting in one of them ending up on his back with the other
>> nuzzling him. He doesn't make a sound or look like he's in pain, and not
>> long after they'll be acting like nothing's happened (having a go on the
>> wheel, washing etc.) I've also seen one seem to mount the other, leading
>> to concerns that one might be a girl (I've had a look, they both seem to
>> be boys!)

>> Is this just part of the social behaviour of Roborovskis or should I
>> separate them as soon as possible? I'm kind of hoping that the one on his
>> back is just being ***, maybe establishing some sort of hierarchy?

>> Many thanks.

>> Matthew

First of all, thanks for your advice in your reply to my original post.
It may be that I was more vigilant than I would have been because of it.

While I do take your point about asking for advice then not following
it, there is, as you say, a lot of information out there that states
that dwarves can live together. Indeed, some of the information I have
seen implies that being alone can cause some Roborovskis distress. I
wanted a pair because my understanding was that as social animals it
would be beneficial for them to live together; I am quite happy to admit
that I was wrong, and glad I was able to separate them before it escalated.

Anyway, one of them (Kyon) seems to be quite happy on his own. (He's the
one who was transplanted with the Wodent Wheel.) His (as-yet-unnamed)
brother was a little distressed when I saw him in the early evening, but
I saw him in his wheel later on. Incidentally, his wheel is the same
type some of your hamsters have (eg. in the Robo Invasion! gallery) -
how do your hamsters get on with it? I had both wheels in the original
cage and every so often one would have a spin and go straight back to
the Wodent Wheel, so I'm assuming they prefer the more expensive brands!
(He'll have to live with it anyway, I don't know anywhere local that
sells Wodent Wheels so he'll have to wait for the Postman!)

Many thanks again for your advice.

Matthew

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by HammyLuver via PetKB.co » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 07:16:07


no problem! by the way, what did you name the other one?

Quote:

>> I warned you in your other post NOT to put more than one together.

>[quoted text clipped - 46 lines]

>>> Matthew

>First of all, thanks for your advice in your reply to my original post.
>It may be that I was more vigilant than I would have been because of it.

>While I do take your point about asking for advice then not following
>it, there is, as you say, a lot of information out there that states
>that dwarves can live together. Indeed, some of the information I have
>seen implies that being alone can cause some Roborovskis distress. I
>wanted a pair because my understanding was that as social animals it
>would be beneficial for them to live together; I am quite happy to admit
>that I was wrong, and glad I was able to separate them before it escalated.

>Anyway, one of them (Kyon) seems to be quite happy on his own. (He's the
>one who was transplanted with the Wodent Wheel.) His (as-yet-unnamed)
>brother was a little distressed when I saw him in the early evening, but
>I saw him in his wheel later on. Incidentally, his wheel is the same
>type some of your hamsters have (eg. in the Robo Invasion! gallery) -
>how do your hamsters get on with it? I had both wheels in the original
>cage and every so often one would have a spin and go straight back to
>the Wodent Wheel, so I'm assuming they prefer the more expensive brands!
>(He'll have to live with it anyway, I don't know anywhere local that
>sells Wodent Wheels so he'll have to wait for the Postman!)

>Many thanks again for your advice.

>Matthew

--
Message posted via http://www.petkb.com
 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by peejo » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:38:08


    I have a question about all this.   We had, until quite recently,
two male Russian Dwarfs living together.  To my knowledge they never
fought in the year and a half they lived together.   We recently lost
"Squiggy" unexpectedly, but "Fruitcake" is still doing great, though he
did seem to look for Squiggy at first.   (I checked Squiggy's body for
any obvious trauma and found nothing, his fur was not even ruffled.
I'm assuming that means that he died of some unknown natural cause and
not from fighting, right?)

    I did read somewhere, maybe here... I dunno, that there could be
territorial type squabbles between them, so shortly after we got them
home I redid their living arrangements to be on the safe side.   They
started out in a 10 gallon aquarium to which I added a multi level cage
topper.  I also got them separate sleeping huts, wheels, food dishes,
and water bottles which were arranged in an upstairs/downstairs way,
making basically 2 separate living areas.   They mostly lived somewhat
separate lives, one up- one down, though constantly flip flopping on who
went where.  They did sometimes share, it was not uncommon to find them
cuddled together in one hut or being jogging partners in one of the
wheels.

    OK, this is crazy long, so I'll get to my main question.  We would
someday like to have another pair, though hopefully not anytime soon
since we want Fruitcake to live a nice long life, unlike his poor
brother.  Did we just get lucky with Fruitcake and Squiggy, or is the
cage arrangement what made it work for us?

    Thanks, -Jenn


*snipped*

Quote:
> I realize there is no easy way to tell the difference between someone
with
> and without a clue, which is why I link to my pictures group on
Webshots, so
> people can see that I've personally raised and handled every ham we've
ever
> had here, and when I say they don't get along well 99.9% of the time,
it's
> from personal experience.  There are many people and even published
books
> online that say they can live together just fine, and because of that,
we
> often had people come into our pet store wondering why one of their
little
> furries beat up and ate or killed the other one in the habitat.  A lot
of
> those published materials are funded by the hammy mills that breed
hams for
> major pet store chains and do plenty of things not in the best
interest of
> the animals.  A lot of the people who say that got EXTREMELY lucky
that one
> didn't kill the other.
 *snipped*
> Brian & Judy & The Hamster Horde
> http://community.webshots.com/user/limahl

 
 
 

Roborovskis fighting?

Post by HammyLuver via PetKB.co » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:23:54


Ok, I have the answer to yur question. u just got lucky!!!!!!! If yur gonna
get another pair, DONT LET THEM LIVE TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!! If u let them live
together they will most likely kill each other!!! There's only a 20% chance
that they won't kill each other.

Angel

Quote:

>I have a question about all this.   We had, until quite recently,
>two male Russian Dwarfs living together.  To my knowledge they never
>fought in the year and a half they lived together.   We recently lost
>"Squiggy" unexpectedly, but "Fruitcake" is still doing great, though he
>did seem to look for Squiggy at first.   (I checked Squiggy's body for
>any obvious trauma and found nothing, his fur was not even ruffled.
>I'm assuming that means that he died of some unknown natural cause and
>not from fighting, right?)

>    I did read somewhere, maybe here... I dunno, that there could be
>territorial type squabbles between them, so shortly after we got them
>home I redid their living arrangements to be on the safe side.   They
>started out in a 10 gallon aquarium to which I added a multi level cage
>topper.  I also got them separate sleeping huts, wheels, food dishes,
>and water bottles which were arranged in an upstairs/downstairs way,
>making basically 2 separate living areas.   They mostly lived somewhat
>separate lives, one up- one down, though constantly flip flopping on who
>went where.  They did sometimes share, it was not uncommon to find them
>cuddled together in one hut or being jogging partners in one of the
>wheels.

>    OK, this is crazy long, so I'll get to my main question.  We would
>someday like to have another pair, though hopefully not anytime soon
>since we want Fruitcake to live a nice long life, unlike his poor
>brother.  Did we just get lucky with Fruitcake and Squiggy, or is the
>cage arrangement what made it work for us?

>    Thanks, -Jenn

>*snipped*

>> I realize there is no easy way to tell the difference between someone with
>> and without a clue, which is why I link to my pictures group on Webshots, so
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> the animals.  A lot of the people who say that got EXTREMELY lucky that one
>> didn't kill the other.
> *snipped*
>> Brian & Judy & The Hamster Horde
>> http://community.webshots.com/user/limahl

--
Message posted via PetKB.com
http://www.petkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/hamster/200803/1