Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Description of your first forum.

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by Rick Sunt » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00



We've had Hoppy for almost two weeks (she's about 8 weeks old).  Last
night, I noticed that she was sneezing about every 5 minutes or so.
Today, I noticed that there is a small amount of pus around her eyes
and she's still sneezing.  She's very alert and active, but I'm
worried about GPs and respiratory illness.  Is there anything that I
should feed her or anything that I can do for her now and how long
should I wait before calling the vet?

Please respond via email (and the newsgroup) so that I can get your
responses quickly.

Thanks for any advice,

Rick

 
 
 

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by David Wette » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00


My advise is that when you don't know call the vet right away.  Better
safe than sorry.  It can likely cost a bit for a trip to the vet but a
guinea pig can die very quickly when they get a respiratory illness.
Being alert and active is a good sign but it does not mean that the GP is
not sick.  Hope all goes well.
Quote:

> We've had Hoppy for almost two weeks (she's about 8 weeks old).  Last
> night, I noticed that she was sneezing about every 5 minutes or so.
> Today, I noticed that there is a small amount of pus around her eyes
> and she's still sneezing.  She's very alert and active, but I'm
> worried about GPs and respiratory illness.  Is there anything that I
> should feed her or anything that I can do for her now and how long
> should I wait before calling the vet?

> Please respond via email (and the newsgroup) so that I can get your
> responses quickly.

> Thanks for any advice,

> Rick

 
 
 

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by Da Chicken Lad » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> We've had Hoppy for almost two weeks (she's about 8 weeks old).  Last
> night, I noticed that she was sneezing about every 5 minutes or so.
> Today, I noticed that there is a small amount of pus around her eyes
> and she's still sneezing.  She's very alert and active, but I'm
> worried about GPs and respiratory illness.  Is there anything that I
> should feed her or anything that I can do for her now and how long
> should I wait before calling the vet?

> Please respond via email (and the newsgroup) so that I can get your
> responses quickly.

> Thanks for any advice,

> Rick

Please consult a vet right away.  Constant sneezing and discharge from
the eyes are major warning signs your piggy is ill.

Good luck.

 
 
 

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by jule » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Your story sounds so familiar!
Please take your GP to the vet right away.  The vet can prescribe some
antibiotics and give you some advise as to what's going on with your new
friend. Our GP Peanut developed sneezing and a loss of appetite in a matter
of 4 days. Even with syringe feeding and antibiotics, we lost our friend in
a matter of 10 days. The loss broke our hearts.
I hope Hoppy gets better, keep the NG posted. My thoughts are with you.
Quote:

>We've had Hoppy for almost two weeks (she's about 8 weeks old).  Last
>night, I noticed that she was sneezing about every 5 minutes or so.
>Today, I noticed that there is a small amount of pus around her eyes
>and she's still sneezing.  She's very alert and active, but I'm
>worried about GPs and respiratory illness.  Is there anything that I
>should feed her or anything that I can do for her now and how long
>should I wait before calling the vet?

>Please respond via email (and the newsgroup) so that I can get your
>responses quickly.

>Thanks for any advice,

>Rick

 
 
 

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by Rick Sunt » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I'll be taking Hoppy to the vet on Thursday morning.  She's still
sneezing, but is also very active, alert, and hungry.

I want to thank everybody for the quick responses I've had.  I've
tried some of the things that people mentioned (Vitamin C chewable in
the drinking water and tried to force-feed some).  I'll post a message
after we see the vet to let everyone know how she's doing!

Rick



Quote:
>Your story sounds so familiar!
>Please take your GP to the vet right away.  The vet can prescribe some
>antibiotics and give you some advise as to what's going on with your new
>friend. Our GP Peanut developed sneezing and a loss of appetite in a matter
>of 4 days. Even with syringe feeding and antibiotics, we lost our friend in
>a matter of 10 days. The loss broke our hearts.
>I hope Hoppy gets better, keep the NG posted. My thoughts are with you.


>>We've had Hoppy for almost two weeks (she's about 8 weeks old).  Last
>>night, I noticed that she was sneezing about every 5 minutes or so.
>>Today, I noticed that there is a small amount of pus around her eyes
>>and she's still sneezing.  She's very alert and active, but I'm
>>worried about GPs and respiratory illness.  Is there anything that I
>>should feed her or anything that I can do for her now and how long
>>should I wait before calling the vet?

>>Please respond via email (and the newsgroup) so that I can get your
>>responses quickly.

>>Thanks for any advice,

>>Rick

 
 
 

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by David Wette » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I have a friend who used a very light mixture of Tang in the drinking water and
her GP lived to a ripe old age.
 
 
 

Help: New Guinea Pig is sick!

Post by RJ Lesc » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>I have a friend who used a very light mixture of Tang in the drinking water
>and
>her GP lived to a ripe old age.

Does tang have vitamin C in it?  Also they might stop drinking the water
because it tastes funny.

-Ryan