To mouse or not to mouse

Description of your first forum.

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Chris Nielse » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Hi!

Alright...here's a potentially icky question.  Please try not to yell
at me too much for asking it.

Would you consider purchasing a mouse for your ferret?  Like a
snake or predatory fish.  

Why?  Its theorized that the normal kibble diet of a ferret is lacking
in some essential 'stuff' that can only be found by consuming the entire
carcass of a 'kill'.  Bones, skin, fur and everything are typcially
consumed.
--
Chris and the Snack Pack
Cookie, Candy, Chip, Cocoa, Carmel and Cappuccino

http://pw1.netcom.com/~chris_ni/main.html

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Lee » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00


D and everything are typcially
consumed.
--
Chris and the Snack Pack
Cookie, Candy, Chip, Cocoa, Carmel and Cappuccino

http://pw1.netcom.com/~chris_ni/main.html

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Lee » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Okay, let's try this again.

Chris asked whether anyone would consider feeding mice to their
ferrets, as one does with large pet snakes, to ensure that they
were getting the nutrients that the ferrets need from bones,
fur, etc.

I guess to begin with, as many of you know, a diet of lean
(muscle) meat does not provide all of the nutrition that your
carnivoric pets need. They could starve on a diet of lean meat.
They also need bones, gristle, organs (taurine comes from organ
meats), fat, skin, fur, membranes, etc.

The label on your kibble box should list "meat byproducts" or
"poultry meal" as one of the first three (preferably as the
first or second) ingredients. Byproducts and meal are organs,
bone, skin, fur, beaks, feet, snouts, gristle, and everything
else except the squawk.

Whether this is enough for your ferret, I don't know.

I do know of a couple of people who feed their ferrets a special
meat diet of whole feeder mice (dead) and steamed scraps of lean
and organ meats that they get from the butcher. These ferrets
are getting regular kibble and vitamin supplements, too. They
seem very healthy--robust even. But I can't say whether the mice
make any difference in themselves.

For now, I'm keeping my girls on their Iams Kitten/TF mix. They
turn their noses up at fresh meat. My girls are also healthy and
robust. Also, given my current household composition, I don't
think that pinkies in the freezer will endear me to the human
inhabitants here.

Would love to hear from the UK side of the pond on this.

Cheers,

-- Lee

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Melis » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Oh yick Chris! ;-P  but I understand your concern.  I'm not sure about the
answer, but bear in mind that while some pets (like snakes etc) do need to
be fed mice in order to survive,  the majority of petowners have very
healthy dogs and cats who are not fed whole animals.  Apparently some pets
flourish with the proper "man-made" food and might even be healthier
because of it.  I don't honestly know if this is true of ferrets or
whether they'd be better off in the "snake-type" catagory... but I gotta
admit I really really hope they're not!

-Melissa


Quote:

>Hi!

>Alright...here's a potentially icky question.  Please try not to yell
>at me too much for asking it.

>Would you consider purchasing a mouse for your ferret?  Like a
>snake or predatory fish.  

>Why?  Its theorized that the normal kibble diet of a ferret is lacking
>in some essential 'stuff' that can only be found by consuming the entire
>carcass of a 'kill'.  Bones, skin, fur and everything are typcially
>consumed.
>--
>Chris and the Snack Pack
>Cookie, Candy, Chip, Cocoa, Carmel and Cappuccino

>http://pw1.netcom.com/~chris_ni/main.html

-Melissa
To send e-mail remove "NoSpam" from e-mail address.
 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by SUN ST » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00


no no no..a mouse can bite your ferret give it a disease.your ferret
will no eat a mouse.might try to play with it..ferrets have been
domesticated for hundredes of years..live food is just something they
dont need....and can make them very sick if the did try to eat
it....hope this helps...the dirty dozen

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Chris Nielse » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Hi!

Well, Lee did mention that he would give a freshly killed mouse.

I know down under, where good ferret foods are hard to find, they
often give freshly killed chicks and whatnot.

Quote:

> no no no..a mouse can bite your ferret give it a disease.your ferret
> will no eat a mouse.might try to play with it..ferrets have been
> domesticated for hundredes of years..live food is just something they
> dont need....and can make them very sick if the did try to eat
> it....hope this helps...the dirty dozen

--
Chris and the Snack Pack
Cookie, Candy, Chip, Cocoa, Carmel and Cappuccino

http://pw1.netcom.com/~chris_ni/main.html
 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Melis » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Hi Chris,

Me again.  If you do decide to go the whole animal route, at least buy
them from a reputable source or you could pass on any number of diseases
or poisons to your ferret.

-Melissa



Quote:
>Hi!

>Well, Lee did mention that he would give a freshly killed mouse.

>I know down under, where good ferret foods are hard to find, they
>often give freshly killed chicks and whatnot.


>> no no no..a mouse can bite your ferret give it a disease.your ferret
>> will no eat a mouse.might try to play with it..ferrets have been
>> domesticated for hundredes of years..live food is just something they
>> dont need....and can make them very sick if the did try to eat
>> it....hope this helps...the dirty dozen

>--
>Chris and the Snack Pack
>Cookie, Candy, Chip, Cocoa, Carmel and Cappuccino

>http://pw1.netcom.com/~chris_ni/main.html

-Melissa
To send e-mail remove "NoSpam" from e-mail address.
 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Zigg » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Re: To mouse or not to mouse

Quote:
> Alright...here's a potentially icky question.  Please try not to yell
> at me too much for asking it.
> Would you consider purchasing a mouse for your ferret?  Like a
> snake or predatory fish.  

Would your ferret know what to do with said mouse?  Would it still retain
enough instinct to kill it and/or know enough that it was food?  From my
understanding, ferrets are like cats that they have to be taught to kill at
an early age.

Case in point--a friend got her first ferret from a zoo (her son volunteered
there) and they fed the ferret pinkies (baby mice) and the ferret knew what
to do with them (ie, kill and eat them).  Her second ferret came from a
private home and when presented with pinkies, this ferret carted the things
off and cached them, still alive, in a slipper for later eating.

***Ziggy***

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Elwin Bullard » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00


We tried feeding mice to Ootz and Winnie aobut 4 years ago.

Ootz showed no interest at all.  Would not eve play wiht them.

Winnie was a huntress.  She went nuts when a mouse was let loose.  She
would stalk and chase and finaly kill it but never understood that it
was supposed to be food.

This behaviour was enough proof to me that they are definately
domestic.

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Stephen Ro » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00




Quote:
> Would you consider purchasing a mouse for your ferret?

Hi Chris,

FWIW, my anecdotes:

I had the opportunity to show my ferrets both freshly killed rats and live
mice.  I was concerned about disease so did not let the ferrets eat the
rats, but they were _very_ reluctant to release their prize.  And were
attracted to the rodent scent afterwards, tracking mice and rats in the
woodpiles.

Much later I took the ferrets to a freshly swathed wheat field.  There are
always field mice nests exposed in the swath.  Usually magpie, fox, crow,
and coyote are very appreciative of these easy treats.   The ferrets were
very interested as long as the baby mice (sorry folks) moved, but were not
interested in them thereafter, and did not eat them.

They seem to be fine on Science Diet feline food, with liberal supplemenst
of Ferretone, fruits and veggies, and the odd bit of cooked meat, fish,
poultry and egg.

Stephen and associates Biff (m3)  and Pepper(f4)

--
Sorry for the spam deterrent address in the header. Remove the "-remove-".

duke.usask.ca/~rossst/zythepsary.html

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Stri » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>We tried feeding mice to Ootz and Winnie aobut 4 years ago.

>Ootz showed no interest at all.  Would not eve play wiht them.

>Winnie was a huntress.  She went nuts when a mouse was let loose.  She
>would stalk and chase and finaly kill it but never understood that it
>was supposed to be food.

>This behaviour was enough proof to me that they are definately
>domestic.

I don't know about mice but Tika tried to bite my rabbit Ember on the ***when
they were in the same room once!  She didn't try to kill Ember but she
definately stalked her.  The other 4 didn't even notice Ember.

My babies still wouldn't eat meat though live or not they acted extremely
offended when I tried to give them beef and chicken.

Kim (Tika,Ciani,Sierra,Nosferretu,Perseus and Majyck the APBT of love)

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by snackpac » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Hi!

That would require that I purchase one for said purpose.  And I haven't
even done that.  I would assume that some of the 'pack' would and
others wouldn't.  They sure did tear into (rather quickly) one of those
fake mice with the real fur on it.  Boy were they upset when I informed
them that they had 'killed' it and that it was now 'dead'.

Cocoa has a small graveyard of stuffed animals he has 'killed'.  Not
that he viciously attacks them and rips them to shreads!  More like
the seams rip from constant carrying around and trying to fit them
in places they're too big to be put into.  I've thought of getting
a picture of stuffed animals he's 'killed' and making a small
Rainbow Bridge for him ; )

Quote:

> Would your ferret know what to do with said mouse?  Would it still retain
> enough instinct to kill it and/or know enough that it was food?  From my
> understanding, ferrets are like cats that they have to be taught to kill at
> an early age.

> Case in point--a friend got her first ferret from a zoo (her son volunteered
> there) and they fed the ferret pinkies (baby mice) and the ferret knew what
> to do with them (ie, kill and eat them).  Her second ferret came from a
> private home and when presented with pinkies, this ferret carted the things
> off and cached them, still alive, in a slipper for later eating.

> ***Ziggy***

--
Chris and the Snack Pack
Cookie, Candy, Chip, Cocoa, Carmel and Cappuccino

http://pw1.netcom.com/~chris_ni/main.html
 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Kathy Gallaghe » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Cocoa has a small graveyard of stuffed animals he has 'killed'.  Not
> that he viciously attacks them and rips them to shreads!  More like
> the seams rip from constant carrying around and trying to fit them
> in places they're too big to be put into.  I've thought of getting
> a picture of stuffed animals he's 'killed' and making a small
> Rainbow Bridge for him ; )

Random thoughts.
I buy my ferrets stuffed toys designed to be chewed on by dogs.  I have
one who steals the kid's stuffed animals and rolled up socks.  The rest
are happy with the ones we buy for the dog.  I alos try to buy ones with
out any attachements (eyes etc) that can be ripped off.  Stuffed
squirrels are the ones I favor.

KG

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by John » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Cappuccino likes to take his baby brother by the scruff of the neck and
drag him into the little bathroom, where he stuffs him in the tipped-over
trash can he uses to hide all his treasures.
John

Quote:


>> Cocoa has a small graveyard of stuffed animals he has 'killed'.  Not
>> that he viciously attacks them and rips them to shreads!  More like
>> the seams rip from constant carrying around and trying to fit them
>> in places they're too big to be put into.  I've thought of getting
>> a picture of stuffed animals he's 'killed' and making a small
>> Rainbow Bridge for him ; )
>Random thoughts.
>I buy my ferrets stuffed toys designed to be chewed on by dogs.  I have
>one who steals the kid's stuffed animals and rolled up socks.  The rest
>are happy with the ones we buy for the dog.  I alos try to buy ones with
>out any attachements (eyes etc) that can be ripped off.  Stuffed
>squirrels are the ones I favor.

>KG

 
 
 

To mouse or not to mouse

Post by Christine M. Coo » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


I can safely say I haven't any opinion about the mouse thing. I think
ferret food is much easier and I know it's healthy.  I did want to add
to this though.  We have a small rabbit (about 2 pounds) with whom the
ferrets are pretty good with. They are actually for ferrets pretty
gentle with him and have never once tried to hurt him in any way.  He
however does not like the rules for ferret-tag.  They treat him the same
way they treat my oldest ferret, when he runs they run when he sits
still they hunker down and wait for him to run unless something else is
more interesting.  They don't appear to be very predatory.

Chris (sorry for any typos I'm wrestling with loans and stuff and the
ferrets are no help with finances.)