Found a young pigeon

Description of your first forum.

Found a young pigeon

Post by Szak » Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:31:29



I found a young pigeon, gray color by the driveway. It has feathers and can
fly a bit. Seems he was exhausted, cause didn't put up much fight. Maybe it
was learning to fly and got lost?
Put him in a shoe box, with rags, some water and cut up some sunflower
seeds, unsalted. Not eating yet. He just sitting and relaxing right now,
very calm.
Looked it his dropping, looks healthy. What should I do now? I never handled
a bird before.
I didn't want leave him outside, any cat could've have him for dinner.
Can it be kept as a pet?
 Maybe I try tomorrow, if he can fly away. He put up a pretty good fight,
when I try to grab him, to adjust the rag in the box half hour ago. Maybe
getting his strength back now.

Thanks, Julius

 
 
 

Found a young pigeon

Post by David G Fishe » Sun, 05 Sep 2004 15:19:04


You can take him to a wildlife rehabber in your area. This link will help
you locate one.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Dave

Quote:

> I found a young pigeon, gray color by the driveway. It has feathers and
can
> fly a bit. Seems he was exhausted, cause didn't put up much fight. Maybe
it
> was learning to fly and got lost?
> Put him in a shoe box, with rags, some water and cut up some sunflower
> seeds, unsalted. Not eating yet. He just sitting and relaxing right now,
> very calm.
> Looked it his dropping, looks healthy. What should I do now? I never
handled
> a bird before.
> I didn't want leave him outside, any cat could've have him for dinner.
> Can it be kept as a pet?
>  Maybe I try tomorrow, if he can fly away. He put up a pretty good fight,
> when I try to grab him, to adjust the rag in the box half hour ago. Maybe
> getting his strength back now.

> Thanks, Julius

 
 
 

Found a young pigeon

Post by Starligh » Sun, 05 Sep 2004 18:03:53


Quote:

>I found a young pigeon, gray color by the driveway. It has feathers and can
>fly a bit. Seems he was exhausted, cause didn't put up much fight. Maybe it
>was learning to fly and got lost?

Could be a fledgling mourning dove.   Can you take him back to the
area where you found it, in case the parents are still around?
If not, you'll need to find a rehabber in your area.  
 
 
 

Found a young pigeon

Post by Toucanl » Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:29:07


Quote:

>You can take him to a wildlife rehabber in your area. This link will help
>you locate one.

>http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Most rehabbers will euthanize pigeons, as they are not protected. Some may
help, if you promise to not release the bird.

Regards

 
 
 

Found a young pigeon

Post by NaDean » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:56:51


Quote:


>>You can take him to a wildlife rehabber in your area. This link will help
>>you locate one.

>>http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

> Most rehabbers will euthanize pigeons, as they are not protected. Some may
> help, if you promise to not release the bird.

> Regards

No euthanizing pigeons for us!! They are just as special as all other birds.