You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Description of your first forum.

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Kelli » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00



Does it seem to anyone else that Conure should be pronounced
CONyer rather than ConOOR?  Or that Moluccan should be
pronounced Molluccan instead of MoLUCKun?  Just
complaining.  I know why Moluccan is pronounced that way,
but they really should change ConOOR.

--
Kellie
Kass Arts Home Page  <http://kassarts.bizland.com/>

 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Marc » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> Does it seem to anyone else that Conure should be pronounced
> CONyer rather than ConOOR?  Or that Moluccan should be
> pronounced Molluccan instead of MoLUCKun?  Just
> complaining.  I know why Moluccan is pronounced that way,
> but they really should change ConOOR.

> --
> Kellie
> Kass Arts Home Page  <http://kassarts.bizland.com/>

Hey Kellie,
It took me forever to figure out if Pionus was "pie-onus" or "pee-ounus"
or if Caiques was "cah-ee-keys" or "cah-eeks"! :)
--
Marco
Remove "hairpiece" to email reply
Daily Affirmation:
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade,
that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to
 tiny bits in thy mercy."
 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Mamabir » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> > Does it seem to anyone else that Conure should be pronounced
> > CONyer rather than ConOOR?  Or that Moluccan should be
> > pronounced Molluccan instead of MoLUCKun?  Just
> > complaining.  I know why Moluccan is pronounced that way,
> > but they really should change ConOOR.

> > --
> > Kellie
> > Kass Arts Home Page  <http://kassarts.bizland.com/>



Quote:

> Hey Kellie,
> It took me forever to figure out if Pionus was "pie-onus" or "pee-ounus"
> or if Caiques was "cah-ee-keys" or "cah-eeks"! :)
> --
> Marco
> Remove "hairpiece" to email reply

We could get really carried away and change African Grey to "a-FREAKIN'
Grey" :)
--
Mama
      Visit "Mamabird's Nest" at   http://iluvbirds.tripod.com/
     To email reply:  Change nest to net.
------
"We do not need this little bird as much as we need the qualities required
to spare its life."  (Deirdre Platt)
------
 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Jennifer Mull » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00


:Does it seem to anyone else that Conure should be pronounced
:CONyer rather than ConOOR?  

It is pronouned CONyer (and in my neck of the backwood, also spelled that
way!), isn't it?  

I looked this up in my unabridged American Heritage Dictionary, but
"conure" was not listed.  "Conurbation," to my amu***t, *is* in there,
but doesn't mean what it looks like.

-J.

--
Jennifer Mullen         | Another non-functioning site was


                            --Mike Brunker for MSNBC

 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Mamabir » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Yes, the correct pronunciation is CONyer.
--
Mama
      Visit "Mamabird's Nest" at   http://www.moonsgarden.com/
     To email reply:  Change nest to net.
------
"We do not need this little bird as much as we need the qualities required
to spare its life."  (Deirdre Platt)
------

Quote:

> :Does it seem to anyone else that Conure should be pronounced
> :CONyer rather than ConOOR?


> It is pronouned CONyer (and in my neck of the backwood, also spelled that
> way!), isn't it?

> I looked this up in my unabridged American Heritage Dictionary, but
> "conure" was not listed.  "Conurbation," to my amu***t, *is* in there,
> but doesn't mean what it looks like.

> -J.

> --
> Jennifer Mullen         | Another non-functioning site was

that

>                             --Mike Brunker for MSNBC

 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by CgrSmk » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Conure = con-yer
Moluccan = Moll-luke-an

I think people who pronounce these words any other way sound like backwater
hillbillies (not that there is anything WRONG with backwater hillbillies mind
you....).

Dave McGuire
"I'm not being Rude... you're just insignificant"

 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Mary » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00


I've always heard it pronounced con' yer, except for one lady I knew who
pronounced it ca noor'.  She claimed to be a member of MENSA, if that means
anything.  :-)
--
Mary
Sparky's Homepage is the place to go if you want to learn about the grey
Congo!   "www.neta.com/~tarnold/sparky.html"

"She was not quite what I would call refined,
"She was not quite what I would call unrefined,
"She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
Mark Twain


Quote:
> Yes, the correct pronunciation is CONyer.
> --
> Mama
>       Visit "Mamabird's Nest" at   http://www.moonsgarden.com/
>      To email reply:  Change nest to net.
> ------
> "We do not need this little bird as much as we need the qualities required
> to spare its life."  (Deirdre Platt)
> ------


> > :Does it seem to anyone else that Conure should be pronounced
> > :CONyer rather than ConOOR?


> > It is pronouned CONyer (and in my neck of the backwood, also spelled
that
> > way!), isn't it?

> > I looked this up in my unabridged American Heritage Dictionary, but
> > "conure" was not listed.  "Conurbation," to my amu***t, *is* in there,
> > but doesn't mean what it looks like.

> > -J.

> > --
> > Jennifer Mullen         | Another non-functioning site was

> that

> >                             --Mike Brunker for MSNBC

 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Ann Mc » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00


My neighbor insists she owns a CONDOR! LOL I tried to explain to her that a
condor was a HUGE bird, and what she owns is a CONURE, but it didn't work.
*sigh* Wouldn't ya just love to see the cage she must have for that condor?
*giggle* Ann
 
 
 

You say conNyur, I say Con-yer

Post by Doug Co » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00


I always enjoy hearing about those
Ek-el- lectus  or  e-lectis  or e-clectus
or whatever those birds are called,,,,,

Doug
Member DENSA
(Diversly Educated / Not Seriously Affected)