> Just a question:
> I have been considering the purchase of a pet, and I have read
> a lot of good things about African grey parrots. Can someone
> tell me how much I should be willing to pay for one, and how
> to avoid disreputable/smuggled birds? I don't want to contribute
> to any parrot's extinction.
> P.S. Please post here; my Internet email is less-than-reliable.
I paid $900 for my CAG when she was about three months old. I went to a
well known reputable dealer who does not deal in wild birds. If you state
where you are from, many on the net may be able to make a recommendation.
I will point out these facts about a Grey, however, if it is going to be
your first bird:
1. When they bite, it hurts... alot (if they want it to), ... and bleeds.
2. They are much like small children. They require a good amount of
attention, will scream if they don't get it (not as much as***atoos),
and are very loving in return.
3. My bird is aclimated to my entire house, however, she still gets
skidish when strangers are around. Especially loud and active strangers.
When she is skidish she tends to be very nippy i.e. she bites even me.
4. She will not let anyone else in my house handle her so she is not a
family pet. CAG tend to bond to one person.
5. I wouldn't trade her for anything. When I come home from work, I think
she is happier to see me than my wife!