DR> Beware of peanuts, and _never_ give him raw ones. We lost our Severe
DR> Macaw to liver damage caused be her eating a raw peanut. The peanut,
DR> we later learned, had a mold growing on it that produced aflo-toxins,
DR> and these toxins are deadly to parrots. Unfortunately, aflo-toxin
DR> poisoning is all too common with domestic parrots. If you must give
DR> him peanuts, make sure they are fresh and roasted, no salt. Also ten is
DR> probably too many: they are very high in fat, and there is often
DR> _some_ aflo-toxin residing even on fresh-roasted peanuts. Almonds are
DR> also a dangerous treat, for the same reasons
Does this go for greys, too? wow, mine had one bag of raw peanuts
that lasted a long time and i haven't been able to find any since.
now i know why they're so hard to find!
that's good to know, he loves them and hasn't had any in a long while.
DR> A better choice for a treat would be a brazil nut or a walnut. There
DR> is less of a chance of aflo-toxin poisoning from these tree-growing
DR> nuts, and they are also part of the B&G's natural diet. Our Blue &
DR> Gold, Gertch, loves them. He gets an average of one a day...
also these nuts, would they be ok for a grey? do you give them to
your bird in the shell? would these be better for greys than peanuts?
t PMDBM V1.74 #46 t
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
World's Largest PCBOARD System - 416-629-7000/629-7044