> It really worries me that people are saying Teflon is safe to use as
> long as you don't overheat it. Almost all Teflon/nonstick cookware (this
> includes Silverstone) deaths I've personally known about were due to a
> moment's inattention, a phone call, a door bell...a timer not going
> off...always HUMAN error.
stories of drownings, ***s, crushings, and a wide variety of
poisoning from many sources. the only way anyone can be 100% sure they
will never harm their bird through an accident is to NEVER have a bird.
Off the top of my head the ways birds have died, or were seriously
injured through accident on the various lists I'm on:
Crushing - several - includes stepping on, closing door on, droping
something on, kid sitting on, dog laying on, siting grocies on, and a
number of birds crushed while sleeping with owners.
Poisonings - other than PTFE - includes scented candles, cleaning
solvent, bleach/ammonia cleaners being accidently mixed, toxic plants,
furniture polish, brake fluid, glue.
***s - Vacuum cleaner, lawn mower, weed eater, sewing machine,
Drownings - toilets, sincs, water glass, coffee cup, bath tub, wading
pool, ornamental fountain, washing machine.
Misc - boiling water, open oven, electric stove burner, gas stove
burner, malfunctioning gas stove, malfunctioning furnace, cloths dryer,
electrical cords, windows, mirrors, ropes, strings, various toys
In fact I have only heard of a single verified case of teflon poisoning
in the past two years and a couple of "consistant with" cases. Teflon
is a known, and very deadly, poison under certain conditions but the
hysteria that surrounds it among bird people appears to be largly
emotional and unjustified. Reasonable caution is the key. Just as in
any other aspect of bird care it is important to be aware of what you
are doing whenever the birds are in a position to get into ANYTHING, or
be harmed, and to take precautions to protect them.
"Hope is a feathered thing that perches on the soul" E.***enson
Visit our web page at