The 10 Parrot Commandments
1. My life is likely to last 10 or more years. Any separation from you
will be painful to me. Remember that before you take me home.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me, it's crucial to my well being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long, don't lock me up as punishment.
You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do
understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
7. Remember before you hit me that I have a beak that could easily
crush the bones of your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask
yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting
the right food or I've been in my cage too long.
9. Take care of me when I get old; you too will get old.
10. Go with me on the last journey. Never say, "I can't bear to watch
it," or, "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if
you are there. Remember that I love you.