Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Description of your first forum.

Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Post by Elsa Gutierre » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00



I have a 2 1/2 year old 'tiel.  I have only had her since May.  I am
planning on going away for the holidays and will probably be gone for 2
weeks.  I would love to take Taylor with me, but I am concerned about
taking a trip across the country (New York to New Mexico by plane) with
her.  Is it common to do this?  Is it safe?  I do have an airline approved
cabin kennel for her, which almost makes the answer to my questions seem
obviuos.  The trip by plane is close to 5 hours :(  
Also, if it is OK to take her, will the "Bird Motel" cage advertised in
BIRDTALK be adequate housing for the 2 weeks?  I don't have one of these,
but am willing to purchase one if it is sufficient.  Another thing to
consider is that the place that I will be staying uses a wood heater for
their main source of heat (and believe me it DOES get cold in NM when you
are in the mountains).  There is a furnace for backup.  My point is that I
am concerned about the smoke produced by a wood heater.

Of course I do plan to ask Taylor's vet to find out what his opinion is,
as well as the opinion of the local bird place here, but I hoped I could
also get advice from people who have had experience traveling with their
little friends.  My main concern is for Taylor.        

Thanks in advance.

elsa

 
 
 

Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Post by ra.. » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00


In article


snip

Quote:
>Also, if it is OK to take her, will the "Bird Motel" cage advertised in
>BIRDTALK be adequate housing for the 2 weeks?

I bought one of those cages this past summer at the last minute.  I
rtegret the purchase.  It's a small dog crate with a bottom tray, a perch
and some plastic cups.  There is a gap in the wires at the bottom front
that is large enough for your***atiel to get his head through.  I had
to jerry-rig something to keep my bird from hurting himself.  The cage is
portable, but VERY heavy.  Also, for what it is it is WAY overpriced.  
You could buy a collapsible dog crate, perch, and set of plastic***
cups for about half of what the bird motel costs.  THat would be my
recommendation, unless you can find a better collapsible cage for a
reasonable price. (If you do, tell me who manufacturs it.  I want one.  
I'm getting ready to discard this bird motel.)
 
 
 

Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Post by Mark Petkovic » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
wilkinson) writes:
>...Someone (sorry, I forgot who) mentioned health certificates.  I
>have *never* had anyone even *mention* this to me.  Am I dealing with
>uninformed agents?  Is it more of a concern if you're going to
>'***' places (like California and Florida) where birds are far more
>common...as pets?  

I fly a lot (about 12 trips a year) and in all the traveling over the
last 4 years have only been stopped twice. I live in California and
have gone to Florida, but have never been stopped in either of those
places. The times I've been stopped was in Kansas City and Denver. They
were both official looking people at the x-ray scanner bag check
station. They asked if I had my health certificate and luckily I did. I
don't know what I would have done if they would have confiscated my
bird.

This brings up another point. Both of the above cities were transfer
stops along the way to my final destination. To be safe, you should
check the regulations of all the states you will be traveling through;
your home state, any transfer states and your final destination.

Since I travel so much I have an arrangement with my vet for travel
certificates. The added cost of having a vet check before each flight
is balanced by knowing your bird is healthy enough to travel. Birds
hide signs of illness, and piece of mind is far more important than the
cost of the vet bill.

 
 
 

Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Post by Lee, Jeanet » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00


In article

Quote:

> I have a 2 1/2 year old 'tiel.  I have only had her since May.  I am
> planning on going away for the holidays and will probably be gone for 2
> weeks.  I would love to take Taylor with me, but I am concerned about
> taking a trip across the country (New York to New Mexico by plane) with
> her.  Is it common to do this?  Is it safe?  I do have an airline approved
> cabin kennel for her, which almost makes the answer to my questions seem
> obviuos.  The trip by plane is close to 5 hours :(  
> Also, if it is OK to take her, will the "Bird Motel" cage advertised in
> BIRDTALK be adequate housing for the 2 weeks?  I don't have one of these,
> but am willing to purchase one if it is sufficient.  Another thing to
> consider is that the place that I will be staying uses a wood heater for
> their main source of heat (and believe me it DOES get cold in NM when you
> are in the mountains).  There is a furnace for backup.  My point is that I
> am concerned about the smoke produced by a wood heater.

> Of course I do plan to ask Taylor's vet to find out what his opinion is,
> as well as the opinion of the local bird place here, but I hoped I could
> also get advice from people who have had experience traveling with their
> little friends.  My main concern is for Taylor.        

> Thanks in advance.

> elsa

Elsa, be VERY careful about travelling with any pets where plane flight is
involved. Although I haven't known anyone personally to travel with birds,
I've heard countless horror stories from dog-owner friends -- and I
imagine the same would apply to travelling with birds.

Basically, I've heard this (and please correct me if I'm wrong): some
(most?) airlines will not allow you to buy a ticket for your pet in the
cabin, even if you would pay extra, so Taylor would end up in the storage
space.  Now, while some airlines claim they put the pets in a separte
section, most of the time they end up in with the rest of the luggage --
read, possibly crushed UNDERNEATH some of it.  What is worse is that,
while the pilots are meant turn on a ventilation fan in the storage space,
sometimes they forget and the pets overheat, often dying.  Similarly, the
fan can't be turned on while waiting for take off, hence if there's a
delay in take-off...  In many cases you cannot get a guarantee from the
airline for special handling for pets, no matter how much you're willing
to pay.

Basically, if you're considering it seriously check, check and
double-check with the airline you plan to use about how they treat pets.  
Many vets may tell you that taking a pet on the plane is a worst case
scenario.  This isn't to say you shouldn't -- just do lots of legwork and
investigate well ahead of time what services you and Taylor will be
getting.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, just be careful!  And good luck.

Jeanette Lee


McGill University, Faculty of Law
BCL/LLB Program

 
 
 

Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Post by Lee, Jeanet » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00



Quote:


> >Basically, I've heard this (and please correct me if I'm wrong): some
> >(most?) airlines will not allow you to buy a ticket for your pet in the
> >cabin, even if you would pay extra, so Taylor would end up in the storage
> >space.  Now, while some airlines claim they put the pets in a separte
> >section, most of the time they end up in with the rest of the luggage --
> >read, possibly crushed UNDERNEATH some of it.  What is worse is that,
> >while the pilots are meant turn on a ventilation fan in the storage space,
> >sometimes they forget and the pets overheat, often dying.  Similarly, the
> >fan can't be turned on while waiting for take off, hence if there's a
> >delay in take-off...  In many cases you cannot get a guarantee from the
> >airline for special handling for pets, no matter how much you're willing
> >to pay.

> I've never had this problem but then again I would *never* (read - never
> ever) allow my birds to go in the cargo hold.  I don't care *how* safe
> they 'assure' me it is!  It just ain't gonna happen with my little
> darlin's.  I just don't trust airlines.... well... AT ALL... really!    
> I've had no problem from the travel agents I've dealt with about taking
> my bird (I tend to 'forget' to mention the two 'keet stowaways in the
> same carrier!), in the cabin.

I'm relieved to read the postings that not many of you have had the
problems I've heard of.  I think I should clarify -- being a Canadian,
perhaps the reason I've heard so many horror stories is that we just don't
have as many airlines (two major ones, then subsidiaries or affiliates) to
choose from, and of those we have, the passenger volume is so low that
they are just not willing to make special arrangements.  Case in point:
it costs more for a Torontonian to fly to Vancouver than to Paris,
France... go figure :-).

So I remain jealous of those of you who can actually GET pet cabins or
bring their pets in the main cabin area!  As for any Canuks out there...
make some calls, or think about driving.

Jeanette Lee


McGill University, Faculty of Law
BCL/LLB Program

 
 
 

Is it safe to travel with your bird?

Post by StParr » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00


It has been awhile since I flew with one of my parrots, but the only
problem I had was when they wanted to inspect my carryon case and my
parrot was fully flighted.  I had to open the carrier very carefully.
Driving is much easier, but they demand to sleep as soon as the sun goes
down (all nine of them).