Babies, babies, babies...VET BILLS!

Description of your first forum.

Babies, babies, babies...VET BILLS!

Post by D » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:56:48



Three babies in the nest box (one pipping as I write).  Two eggs still
unhatched.  My 'tiels are being quite the attentive parents.  Since I
still have the three birds from clutch #1, if I get a full turn-out from
this clutch, I will have TEN 'tiels flying about the house.  Aighhhh!  I
just hope the babies from clutch #1 get along with the babies from clutch
#2.  I'm running out of rooms to segregate birds into!  (Daddy 'tiel
chases the babies from the current clutch mercilessly.)  

I actually DO have a question, however.  Right now, I am being told that
I should pay $90 per bird for a full work-up (vs. a $32 well-bird
check).  Since I don't relish the thought of possibly paying $900 in vet
bills, what tests are ABSOLUTELY essential and which are nice, but
probably not necessary unless the bird is wheezing and has a face that  
looks like it was "slimed"?  All my birds have hearty appetites, get lots
of exercise, and appear glossy and happy.  I know this is no guarantee
that some *** little bug isn't lurking in their systems somewhere, but
would it be feasible to pay $90 each, perhaps, on the parents, and do the
$32 check up on the babies, unless the parents' tests came up positive
for something bad?  Since I don't sell my birds, but give them away,
after spending the time and money to partially hand-raise them, and to
feed and house them (looking at another couple hundred this year to build
them an indoor aviary), $900 is a bit much to absorb on top of everything
else.  Suggestions anyone?
--
 \|/

^(_)^   spector had a little bird, a 'tiel hen named Merlot,
_||__   and everywhere that spector went, the hen was sure to go!

 
 
 

Babies, babies, babies...VET BILLS!

Post by ba.. » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 13:46:04


Quote:

> Three babies in the nest box (one pipping as I write).  Two eggs still
> unhatched.  My 'tiels are being quite the attentive parents.  Since I
> still have the three birds from clutch #1, if I get a full turn-out from
> this clutch, I will have TEN 'tiels flying about the house.  Aighhhh!  I

    clip those wings!
Quote:
> I actually DO have a question, however.  Right now, I am being told that
> I should pay $90 per bird for a full work-up (vs. a $32 well-bird
> bills, what tests are ABSOLUTELY essential and which are nice, but

I would recommend that you pick one bird from each clutch and just do the work
- up on those two.  This could give you a pretty good idea what is going on in
your babies.  Granted, this isn' going to tell you the exact health of each
and every bird - but it will give you a pretty good idea.
Quote:
> I don't sell my birds, but give them away,

ask for vet check medical bill or start charging for those babies - or sell
"as is".
Quote:
>  Suggestions anyone?
> --

;)Bambi:)

.

--
Fox's Feather Farm  25 different species of Parrots. Layaway/Payments Avail.
African Greys, Amazons,***atoos, Conures, Macaws, and more. (408)761-0566