practicing catch and release - need frog ident

Description of your first forum.

practicing catch and release - need frog ident

Post by fr0gle » Thu, 23 May 2002 16:38:06



I haven't caught a frog or lizard for many years, since way back when
I had to hide them in a shoebox from my dad so I could enjoy releasing
them a week later.

I found a tiny green frog in my yard, I suspect he is the product of
all the croaking racket that was going on a couple months ago! These
babies are all over our driveway and yard.

I saved him from the lawnmower, kept him overnight, fed him a
mealworm, snapped a few pics and sent him on his way. He is back in my
garden. I think there was some terrible moment where my sweetie
thought I was going to KEEP him - the thought of capturing a pet in
good health and forcing him to live with us is not something that
appeals to my better half. Fortunately I was just checking size and
throwin 'em back ;)

Pics here:
http://fr0glet.org/pix/pets/lil-green-cutie/

I found a sweet identification guide, but it's for canadian frogs
only. I'm damn close to BC, but no cigar. The site is
http://eqb-dqe.cciw.ca/partners/carcnet/key/c_0.htm
and I thought this guy looks close, Hyla Regilla:
http://eqb-dqe.cciw.ca/partners/carcnet/tour/glossary/ptfrog/ptfrog2.h
tm

I need one of those sites for the US!!

I'm in Northwest Washington, about 15 miles in from the coast near the
San Juan islands. Any ideas?

fr0glet

 
 
 

practicing catch and release - need frog ident

Post by Chris McMarti » Thu, 23 May 2002 21:33:45



Quote:
> Pics here:
> http://fr0glet.org/pix/pets/lil-green-cutie/

> and I thought this guy looks close, Hyla Regilla:
> http://eqb-dqe.cciw.ca/partners/carcnet/tour/glossary/ptfrog/ptfrog2.h
> tm

I think your hunch is right.  _Hyla regilla_, Pacific Tree Frog.  Source of
the familiar stock "ribbit" sound found in many movies.  We had them down in
Tacoma, but the ones I saw were tan.

Chris
--
http://www.mcmartinville.com
Last Update 21 December 2001

 
 
 

practicing catch and release - need frog ident

Post by Luke Campbel » Fri, 24 May 2002 06:38:00


Looks like a Pacific chorus frog (Hyla regalia) to me.  Probably fairly
recently metamorphosed, full ***s are a bit plumper and stockier.
These guys can change color from green to brownish-grey or tan, but they
always have the eye stripe.

Luke

 
 
 

practicing catch and release - need frog ident

Post by fr0gle » Fri, 24 May 2002 15:39:47


Quote:


> > Pics here:
> > http://fr0glet.org/pix/pets/lil-green-cutie/

> > and I thought this guy looks close, Hyla Regilla:

http://eqb-dqe.cciw.ca/partners/carcnet/tour/glossary/ptfrog/ptfrog2.h

Quote:
> > tm

> I think your hunch is right.  _Hyla regilla_, Pacific Tree Frog.
Source of
> the familiar stock "ribbit" sound found in many movies.  We had them
down in
> Tacoma, but the ones I saw were tan.

Yay! Thank you. The difference I saw was the lack of brown triangle on
the head.

We have some great ribbiting out here :) Unfortunately it usually
can't be heard over the sound of 150 crickets in my living room!

fr0glet

 
 
 

practicing catch and release - need frog ident

Post by fr0gle » Fri, 24 May 2002 15:42:38


Quote:

> Looks like a Pacific chorus frog (Hyla regalia) to me.  Probably
fairly
> recently metamorphosed, full ***s are a bit plumper and stockier.
> These guys can change color from green to brownish-grey or tan, but
they
> always have the eye stripe.

I'll see if I can catch one again in the next few weeks and watch the
size - they are everywhere in my driveway, garden, and the pond area
in front of the church next door.

Thanks!

fr0glet