Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Description of your first forum.

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by StarRave NightShad » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:24:20



Hey everyone. Sorry if I'm getting annoying with all these questions. =)

So, here's a couple that I have never really seen the answer to in my
forays on the web.

How often are leopard geckos supposed to defecate, on average? So far,
in the five days that I've had my new little girl, I've only seen one
little turd in the corner of the cage. Since then, I haven't seen
anything, and there isn't anywhere she could go that I wouldn't see. I
feed her about 3-4 1/2 inch crickets every day. So far there's been more
intake than output.

The second question: Interestingly enough, my gecko is active pretty
much around the clock. She wanders around during the day and during the
evening, taking short breaks in her hidebox every hour or so. So far I
haven't even caught her sleeping. Is this just the stress of adjusting
to a new environment, or is it possible that she could have adapted to a
day schedule with her previous owner? I'm giving her a light schedule
with the natural daylight (white light during the day, blue at night).

And for my cricket question. I bought 50 crickets five day ago, the
majority of them being larger pinheads (the petstore had run out of the
*** ones). I've suffered severe losses of crickets... most of the
pinheads are dead, which has left me with maybe about 25 crickets. I
house them in clean plastic cat litter containers, closed with
ventilated lids. I have a few carrots in each, and egg carton shells for
them to climb on and for me to get them out. I realize this isn't the
best setup and I knew there would be some losses, but is there any
better way for me to do this? Is there not enough food? I want to get a
ten gallon aquarium to house them in, but that will have to wait for
now. Is there an easy way to prevent these losses, or at least cut them
down substantially?

Thanks for*** in there and reading this. I'm a little bit of a
nervous pet owner, especially with new pets that I don't have real world
experience with (especially considering the fact that when I was a
child, the only pets allowed in the house were the fuzzy and fishy
kinds, no snakes, no lizards, amphibians and chelonians just barely
squeaked by). I think that I'm doing good with her care, and she looks
happy but I want to make sure that I can do the best for her. =)

StarRave NightShade

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Jeff Wagne » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 12:25:48


[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
   the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]


Quote:

> Hey everyone. Sorry if I'm getting annoying with all these questions. =)

> So, here's a couple that I have never really seen the answer to in my
> forays on the web.

> How often are leopard geckos supposed to defecate, on average? So far,
> in the five days that I've had my new little girl, I've only seen one
> little turd in the corner of the cage. Since then, I haven't seen
> anything, and there isn't anywhere she could go that I wouldn't see. I
> feed her about 3-4 1/2 inch crickets every day. So far there's been more
> intake than output.

  Don't worry about it. If she is eating and active then she will be
fine.  I assume she has a water dish so she isn't dehydrated. She will
poop in her own good time. If she hasn't gone in another 3 or 4 days
then maybe I'd be concerned. But She hasn't eaten a huge amount yet and
you havn't had her very long. Relax..... She will be fine...
 If she is being kept on sand and is very young I might be concerned.
If not don't worry about it.

Quote:

> The second question: Interestingly enough, my gecko is active pretty
> much around the clock. She wanders around during the day and during the
> evening, taking short breaks in her hidebox every hour or so. So far I
> haven't even caught her sleeping. Is this just the stress of adjusting
> to a new environment, or is it possible that she could have adapted to a
> day schedule with her previous owner? I'm giving her a light schedule
> with the natural daylight (white light during the day, blue at night).

 Again, if she is tired, she will sleep. be thankful she is active
during the day! Mine rarely come out before 7pm and if I take the lid
off the hide box i get that "Shut the damn light off!" look.

Quote:

> And for my cricket question. I bought 50 crickets five day ago, the
> majority of them being larger pinheads (the petstore had run out of the
> *** ones). I've suffered severe losses of crickets... most of the
> pinheads are dead, which has left me with maybe about 25 crickets. I
> house them in clean plastic cat litter containers, closed with
> ventilated lids. I have a few carrots in each, and egg carton shells for
> them to climb on and for me to get them out. I realize this isn't the
> best setup and I knew there would be some losses, but is there any
> better way for me to do this? Is there not enough food? I want to get a
> ten gallon aquarium to house them in, but that will have to wait for
> now. Is there an easy way to prevent these losses, or at least cut them
> down substantially?

 Go buy a ***maid trash can. A kitchen sized one is great. Put a
couple inches of potting soil in it. Put a dish of gutload cricket
feed, I use Flukers. Also a dish of that Flukers quencher gel. Also put
a section or two of paper egg carton in there for them to crawl on. The
dirt stops almost all the smell. They will live great in this setup.
May be hard to use this setup for tiny ones but you don't need the
small ones anymore anyways. Even juvenile geckos can eat small ***
crickets. Also feed her some wax worms a couple times a week and meal
worms too. the wax worms will get her pooper going!

Quote:

> Thanks for*** in there and reading this. I'm a little bit of a
> nervous pet owner, especially with new pets that I don't have real world
> experience with (especially considering the fact that when I was a
> child, the only pets allowed in the house were the fuzzy and fishy
> kinds, no snakes, no lizards, amphibians and chelonians just barely
> squeaked by). I think that I'm doing good with her care, and she looks
> happy but I want to make sure that I can do the best for her. =)

> StarRave NightShade

 No problem....ask away... email me privatly anytime...

--
_______________________
Jeff Wagner
Corvallis Oregon
http://www.moonsgarden.com/

1-0-0 Patternless Leopard Gecko
1-0-0 High Yellow Leopard Gecko
0-2-0 Tremper Albino Leopard Geckos
0-1-0 Orange Tangerine Striped Leopard Gecko
1-0-0 Albino Okeetee Corn Snake
1-0-0 Okeetee Corn Snake
1-0-0 Ornate Box Turtle

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Clairebea » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:02:49


Re the crickets
We've got a large (24*18*14) rect plastic tub with loose lid that we put
them in until we feed them to lizards. As it's high we dont get many
escapees.
We use a very thin layer of sawdust on base (to stop smells and keep all
dry) on which we've placed a couple of shallow plastic trays.
On one tray we use 3 - 4 cottonwool makeup removal pads that we well soak in
water and change daily. The crickets always aim at this first when they
arrive!!! On the other, proprietry Cricket food, bit of greenery, plus
cornflakes or similar.
Cardboard egg cartons all over the floor.
We keep locusts in the same container when we get them, we'll add more
greenery then (grass, dandelion leaves etc) they climb the sides of the tank
tho and you have to be careful opening the lid with them.
Re worms - cut heads off before feeding. I dont trust any of them except
earthworms!

Crickets shed in order to grow, so some of the 'dead bodies' are actually
older shells. We watched a shedding one day that actually occurred in our
beardies tank seconds after dropping the insect in, the cricket that
appeared had long soft pale wings - it immediately got eaten. Beardies do
not appreciate beauty!

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by StarRave NightShad » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:42:39


Quote:

> We've got a large (24*18*14) rect plastic tub with loose lid that we put
> them in until we feed them to lizards. As it's high we dont get many
> escapees.

I've already had three escape their doom... I assume they're hiding
behind the entertainment centre. How long is a cricket's life span,
anyway? =)

Quote:
> We use a very thin layer of sawdust on base (to stop smells and keep all
> dry) on which we've placed a couple of shallow plastic trays.
> On one tray we use 3 - 4 cottonwool makeup removal pads that we well soak in
> water and change daily. The crickets always aim at this first when they
> arrive!!! On the other, proprietry Cricket food, bit of greenery, plus
> cornflakes or similar.
> Cardboard egg cartons all over the floor.
> We keep locusts in the same container when we get them, we'll add more
> greenery then (grass, dandelion leaves etc) they climb the sides of the tank
> tho and you have to be careful opening the lid with them.

My major concern with large setups like that is storage. To be frank, I
live in a small bachelor apartment with my fiancee and space is a
commodity around here. For some reason, my fiancee seems to like storing
empty boxes in the in-suite storage and that's where I was planning to
do a setup for crickets. Right now they're sitting on the kitchen
counter, which is pretty much the only place I can keep them.

Until I can get gutload for the crickets, what is a fresh food
alternative? Also, should I dust the food with calcium/vitamin D, or
just leave it up to her to eat the supplement out of the dish?

Quote:
> Crickets shed in order to grow, so some of the 'dead bodies' are actually
> older shells. We watched a shedding one day that actually occurred in our
> beardies tank seconds after dropping the insect in, the cricket that
> appeared had long soft pale wings - it immediately got eaten. Beardies do
> not appreciate beauty!

<nods> Yeah, I saw that happening with one of the larger crickets that I
had/have. It's an interesting process... crickets are actually kind of
cute bugs, I feel almost bad having to feed them to my little girl, who
isn't exactly the fastest hunter in the world. She seems to like her
meal tickets to come to her, instead of her chasing them around the
cage. =)

In the setup you described above, will the crickets breed in an
environment like that? I'd rather have a breeding colony than waste bus
fare hiking to Petcetera to pay for crickets.

StarRave NightShade

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Clairebea » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 01:29:47


Quote:
> I've already had three escape their doom... I assume they're hiding
> behind the entertainment centre. How long is a cricket's life span,
> anyway? =)

In our household, just a few days. They uncannily follow me round and I
squish them in dark by mistake when Im barefooted Or the odd one appears
over the shower curtain and goes down the plug hole rapid! If I throw the
last couple out with the sawdust when I clean the box, a day later there's
always one sitting on the doorstep begging to come back - next-doors cat
finishes off the full grown black ones that broadcast their presence
noisily. We let the beardies roam round the house when we're in, so they
perform the odd mopping up. Honest, not many escape from a high box <g>

Quote:
> My major concern with large setups like that is storage. To be frank, I
> live in a small bachelor apartment with my fiancee and space is a
> commodity around here. For some reason, my fiancee seems to like storing
> empty boxes in the in-suite storage

Women eh Selfish ***s.
Empty the storage room slowly when she goes out, or keep em in her boxes <g>
The box I'm using is just one of those plastic storage boxes sold to put
toys or other junk in with clipdown lids. Space is at a premium here too, so
we store it in the space under a desk in the computer room.

Quote:
> Until I can get gutload for the crickets, what is a fresh food
> alternative? Also, should I dust the food with calcium/vitamin D, or
> just leave it up to her to eat the supplement out of the dish?

I'm sorry, we only do beardies, mice, gerbils, corns, garters, milk, pythons
in our house. For some reason I dont like the shape of leopards tails and
cant come round to wanting to own one - I really dont know why coz they are
so pretty otherwize.
Where beardies are concerned, we dust alternate cricket meals with calcium.
Beardies are beautiful friendly beastys but they're greedy and its approx 25
crickets everyday, the odd lobster(locust) and occasional pinky at the
moment. So we dont dust every meal.

Quote:
> In the setup you described above, will the crickets breed in an
> environment like that? I'd rather have a breeding colony than waste bus
> fare hiking to Petcetera to pay for crickets.

We've not bred them, dont fancy the idea of lots of different sizes and
having to sort them. I believe it's simple and you just need some deeper
substrate for the females to lay their eggs. That might be damp soil or
perhaps vermiculite. If you look round web there are care sheets telling you
how to do this.

Good luck
Clairebear

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by StarRave NightShad » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 04:05:45


Quote:

> In our household, just a few days. They uncannily follow me round and I
> squish them in dark by mistake when Im barefooted Or the odd one appears
> over the shower curtain and goes down the plug hole rapid! If I throw the
> last couple out with the sawdust when I clean the box, a day later there's
> always one sitting on the doorstep begging to come back - next-doors cat
> finishes off the full grown black ones that broadcast their presence
> noisily. We let the beardies roam round the house when we're in, so they
> perform the odd mopping up. Honest, not many escape from a high box <g>

Mine like to crawl on my hands when I go to put the little egg carton
shell in the gecko's cage to let them run free (at least temporarily,
until they get swallowed) and then jump out onto my shirt, and then on
the floor, disappearing forever. I suppose maybe my cat ate them. He
loves bugs.

Quote:
> > My major concern with large setups like that is storage. To be frank, I
> > live in a small bachelor apartment with my fiancee and space is a
> > commodity around here. For some reason, my fiancee seems to like storing
> > empty boxes in the in-suite storage
> Women eh Selfish ***s.
> Empty the storage room slowly when she goes out, or keep em in her boxes <g>
> The box I'm using is just one of those plastic storage boxes sold to put
> toys or other junk in with clipdown lids. Space is at a premium here too, so
> we store it in the space under a desk in the computer room.

Oh, but you have it all wrong. I'm the woman, my fiancee is the selfish
packrat of totally useless things. At least the things that I packrat
away have some use once and a while. =)

I think that storage room is going to have to get cleaned out, whether
he likes it or not. We don't need that many boxes, and half of them are
such odd shapes that you really couldn't use them for anything but
putting the original product back in that box (like the upright vacuum
box). Men. =/

Quote:
> I'm sorry, we only do beardies, mice, gerbils, corns, garters, milk, pythons
> in our house. For some reason I dont like the shape of leopards tails and
> cant come round to wanting to own one - I really dont know why coz they are
> so pretty otherwize.

Admittedly, their tails are a little weird looking. I just try to
remember it's kind of like a camel's hump... strange looking, but has a
good purpose. I haven't decided whether this is the reptile that I
ultimately want to 'specialize' in, but I figured it was a good start,
especially considering the gecko I originally wanted (Palmatogecko
rangei, the Namib Web-Footed gecko, extremely difficult to care for due
to exacting environmental conditions). My fiancee has expressed an
interest in beardies (well, not an interest, per say, but more of
exclamations of, 'Oh, they're so cute!') so maybe that's next on the
list. Or a corn snake.

Quote:
> Where beardies are concerned, we dust alternate cricket meals with calcium.
> Beardies are beautiful friendly beastys but they're greedy and its approx 25
> crickets everyday, the odd lobster(locust) and occasional pinky at the
> moment. So we dont dust every meal.

25?! Wow. My little girl only eats 3 or 4, and she's pretty big. She
seems to not like the smaller crickets much, maybe because they're
freaking fast and not much sustenance besides being snack-sized. Too
much effort for too little, I guess. =)

Quote:
> We've not bred them, dont fancy the idea of lots of different sizes and
> having to sort them. I believe it's simple and you just need some deeper
> substrate for the females to lay their eggs. That might be damp soil or
> perhaps vermiculite. If you look round web there are care sheets telling you
> how to do this.

I've seen them, but never read them thoroughly and forgot where I found
them. =/ Guess I have yet another foray to go on for information on the
web.

StarRave NightShade

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Clairebea » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 05:18:42




Quote:

> Mine like to crawl on my hands when I go to put the little egg carton
> shell in the gecko's cage to let them run free (at least temporarily,
> until they get swallowed) and then jump out onto my shirt, and then on
> the floor, disappearing forever. I suppose maybe my cat ate them. He
> loves bugs.

I keep a plastic carton we buy the crickets in, pour a little calcium powder
in, place it open in the cricket tank.
Hold the box lid in left hand. Pick up egg carton with right and knock some
into the plastic box,  move lid over box (prevents escapees) while I pick up
another egg carton and repeat until Ive enough crickets in the tub. After
that I close lid and shake box gently to cover the crickets with dust.
Over in lizards cage, put box in and open the lid letting crickets jump out,
or knock them out gently so not to pour too much calcium powder into lizards
tank.
et voila, no escapees !! We only tend to get them if we feed Sarge on the
carpet, he's rubbish at hunting!

 My fiancee has expressed an

Quote:
> interest in beardies (well, not an interest, per say, but more of
> exclamations of, 'Oh, they're so cute!') so maybe that's next on the
> list. Or a corn snake.

We've got 2 male beardies, Corky and Sarge. Both about 18" and probably
nearly *** size now. They are eating mainly insects but they should also
be eating greens and we are failing to persuade them they should have them.
That's our worry.
Although they dont get on with each other, they are the coolest, most
loveable lizards individually. Nothing phases them. They do have slightly
different temperaments, Sarge stomps round the house and Corky still isnt
that comfortable outside his tank.
They dont bite, they accept petting,  but their claws are similar to kittens
and they scratch you if you're not careful - but not purposely.
They're not particularly bright, they still havent worked out they cant walk
through glass for example, but it adds to their charm
They have us giggling over something nearly every day. They constantly watch
whats going on round them and follow us round the house.
Keeping them is easy once you have the viv set up. Their environment is
pretty simple to maintain, cleanliness warmth UVB and a branch or two being
their main requirements.
I truly love them and would have a house full if we could afford them.
Over in the UK it would cost about 250-320 to kit up properly for a
beardie of their size - ($350-$450?) with a 36*18*20 tank (75-140 for
lizards depending on size, remainder for viv and fittings)
Food here costs 2 for approx 50 crickets or 10 med locusts. We're now
feeding approx 25 crickets a day, which should decrease when they finish
growing
so it costs us about a 1 per day ($1.50) They should be having more greens
than crickets, so I would concentrate on getting them to eat greens early
on.

Corns too are lovely nature, Paul took one of ours to show his folks last
weekend, she behaved beautifully all day allowing people to handle her with
no problems. Arriving home she slithered slowly back into her viv, and had a
meal later for being a good girl.
They are far less expensive and demand less space and equipment than the
beardies.

WHEE  We are mothers!! Our mouse has just given birth to peanuts as I write!
Must go.............

Hope you do well with your geckos :)
Clairebear

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Snake Whisper » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 14:46:46


Just wait until a crik crawls into your ear while you are asleep! THAT
will sit you bolt upright.

later, Pete

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Teach the Children.

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/REPTILEPARTIES

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Clairebea » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:59:04


It would temporarily increase the amount of brains in head by 100%!
Claire
Quote:
> Just wait until a crik crawls into your ear while you are asleep! THAT
> will sit you bolt upright.

> later, Pete

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Michael Misenheime » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 20:18:05


Oh Well Done!


Quote:
> It would temporarily increase the amount of brains in head by 100%!
> Claire

> > Just wait until a crik crawls into your ear while you are asleep! THAT
> > will sit you bolt upright.

> > later, Pete

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by StarRave NightShad » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 04:42:55


Quote:

> Just wait until a crik crawls into your ear while you are asleep! THAT
> will sit you bolt upright.

That's what I've been afraid of! =) My mattress is on the floor in the
living room because we're redoing our bedroom, and of course, the
entertainment centre where I lost the crickets is right there.

I dream about crickets now. Nibbling on things.

I hate bugs. =/

StarRave NightShade

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Jeff Wagne » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 09:39:57


 I wouldn't worry about cutting heads off the worms personally. But to
each his own..!

 Jeff


Quote:

> Re the crickets
> We've got a large (24*18*14) rect plastic tub with loose lid that we put
> them in until we feed them to lizards. As it's high we dont get many
> escapees.
> We use a very thin layer of sawdust on base (to stop smells and keep all
> dry) on which we've placed a couple of shallow plastic trays.
> On one tray we use 3 - 4 cottonwool makeup removal pads that we well soak in
> water and change daily. The crickets always aim at this first when they
> arrive!!! On the other, proprietry Cricket food, bit of greenery, plus
> cornflakes or similar.
> Cardboard egg cartons all over the floor.
> We keep locusts in the same container when we get them, we'll add more
> greenery then (grass, dandelion leaves etc) they climb the sides of the tank
> tho and you have to be careful opening the lid with them.
> Re worms - cut heads off before feeding. I dont trust any of them except
> earthworms!

> Crickets shed in order to grow, so some of the 'dead bodies' are actually
> older shells. We watched a shedding one day that actually occurred in our
> beardies tank seconds after dropping the insect in, the cricket that
> appeared had long soft pale wings - it immediately got eaten. Beardies do
> not appreciate beauty!

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Snake Whisper » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 15:13:25


The thing with criks is that you can fish them out of your ear with an
icepick. Just PRAY they don't go down your nostril. Then they are
looking for a warm, moist place (right NEXT to the brain) to lay the
millions of eggs that they produce.

later, Pete

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Teach the Children.

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/REPTILEPARTIES

 
 
 

Leopard gecko health questions, and a question about crickets

Post by Snake Whisper » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 15:15:32


Re worms - cut heads off before feeding. I dont trust any of them except
earthworms!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SEE, SEE. I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

later, Pete

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Teach the Children.

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/REPTILEPARTIES