it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Description of your first forum.

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Jenn » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:33:20



I took my _B. smithi_ eggsac (Mexican red knee T) to work today and my
boss and his wife opened it.  The spiderlings are perfect!!!  They
carefully cut open the top and tiny nymphs just started spilling out.
My boss thinks there's between 800-1,000!!  They have one molt to go
(well, a small number have two still) before they become tiny eating
machines and have to be separated.  They're back in the incubator but
now they're loose and I no longer have to get up during the night and
flip the damn thing!  Woohoo!!!

(Can you tell I'm e***d? :-) )

I'm uploading pics from my camera for my website.  I'll have a link up
in a few!

Jennifer

P.S.  Hey Alice!  Wanna come over and see my spiders? :-P

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Josh » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:54:12


Quote:
> carefully cut open the top and tiny nymphs just started spilling out.
> My boss thinks there's between 800-1,000!!

*shudder*
 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by fr0gle » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:11:45


Quote:

> I took my _B. smithi_ eggsac (Mexican red knee T) to work today and my
> boss and his wife opened it.  The spiderlings are perfect!!!  They
> carefully cut open the top and tiny nymphs just started spilling out.
> My boss thinks there's between 800-1,000!!  They have one molt to go
> (well, a small number have two still) before they become tiny eating
> machines and have to be separated.  They're back in the incubator but
> now they're loose and I no longer have to get up during the night and
> flip the damn thing!  Woohoo!!!

> (Can you tell I'm e***d? :-) )

> I'm uploading pics from my camera for my website.  I'll have a link up
> in a few!

WOOHOOO! Congrats woman! I want to see!!!!!!!

You're going to be rich! :D

fr0glet

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Jenn » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:20:42


Quote:

> WOOHOOO! Congrats woman! I want to see!!!!!!!

Here ya go!

http://www.kizandjenn.com/bsmithieggsac.html

You'll also get to see them in person on Sunday, when you help me haul
my load o' beasties to the herp meeting. :-)

Quote:
> You're going to be rich! :D

I have no clue if that's true or not.  I haven't discussed price with my
boss.  I'd love to get lots of money for them, but I know that there's
no way I could put in the time required to house and feed 1,000
spiderlings.  My bosses feed 8,000 and they have to spend hours every
day feeding a fraction of them just to keep up!  And that's with a
dedicated spider room, the proper equipment, and all the food right
outside the door!

Jennifer

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Dendroaspis polylep » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:26:00


Its funny how baby tarantuls never look like their parents.

Congrads on you babies and new found riches!!!

Kurt Kunze
IPMS/USA Patriot
New England Herpetological Society
http://www.neherp.com

Remove "clothes" to e-mail me

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by FSUgu » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:28:17


That gives me the willies.  I think spiders are cool, and wouldn't mind
owning a turantula, but so many bugs just makes me want to swat at every
itch or *** I feel.  It's like I'm on LSD or something. "GET EM OFF OF
ME!!!" :)
-Ben


Quote:

> > WOOHOOO! Congrats woman! I want to see!!!!!!!

> Here ya go!

> http://www.moonsgarden.com/

> You'll also get to see them in person on Sunday, when you help me haul
> my load o' beasties to the herp meeting. :-)

> > You're going to be rich! :D

> I have no clue if that's true or not.  I haven't discussed price with my
> boss.  I'd love to get lots of money for them, but I know that there's
> no way I could put in the time required to house and feed 1,000
> spiderlings.  My bosses feed 8,000 and they have to spend hours every
> day feeding a fraction of them just to keep up!  And that's with a
> dedicated spider room, the proper equipment, and all the food right
> outside the door!

> Jennifer

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by fr0gle » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:47:52


Quote:

> That gives me the willies.  I think spiders are cool, and wouldn't mind
> owning a turantula, but so many bugs just makes me want to swat at every
> itch or *** I feel.  It's like I'm on LSD or something. "GET EM OFF OF
> ME!!!" :)

See, I *like* being scared. Looking at that last picture TOTALLY gives me
the heebie jeebies, so I looked at it like 40 times in the last half hour :)

fr0glet

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Mike Howar » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:04:06


And I'll stick to giant lizards with a sense of humor, thanks. <G>

Mike

Quote:

> > That gives me the willies.  I think spiders are cool, and wouldn't mind
> > owning a turantula, but so many bugs just makes me want to swat at every
> > itch or *** I feel.  It's like I'm on LSD or something. "GET EM OFF OF
> > ME!!!" :)

> See, I *like* being scared. Looking at that last picture TOTALLY gives me
> the heebie jeebies, so I looked at it like 40 times in the last half hour
:)

> fr0glet

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Chad Trap » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:55:24


Heh, reminds me when I was a kid and I opened a garden spiders egg sack in my
hands.  They crawled all over my hands and then started to disperse.  That was
cool, though I can't say I would want to raise a spider as a pet.

   Chad

Quote:

> That gives me the willies.  I think spiders are cool, and wouldn't mind
> owning a turantula, but so many bugs just makes me want to swat at every
> itch or *** I feel.  It's like I'm on LSD or something. "GET EM OFF OF
> ME!!!" :)
> -Ben




> > > WOOHOOO! Congrats woman! I want to see!!!!!!!

> > Here ya go!

> > http://www.moonsgarden.com/

> > You'll also get to see them in person on Sunday, when you help me haul
> > my load o' beasties to the herp meeting. :-)

> > > You're going to be rich! :D

> > I have no clue if that's true or not.  I haven't discussed price with my
> > boss.  I'd love to get lots of money for them, but I know that there's
> > no way I could put in the time required to house and feed 1,000
> > spiderlings.  My bosses feed 8,000 and they have to spend hours every
> > day feeding a fraction of them just to keep up!  And that's with a
> > dedicated spider room, the proper equipment, and all the food right
> > outside the door!

> > Jennifer

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Dr. Barbara Horwi » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:11:56


This is just such an amazing sequence of pictures.    I can not remotely
imagine what actually keeping and growing-on 1000 of these might be
like.

Like Ben,  I have come back to these pictures several times this
morning.  Jenn, you and Sarah post in such a way as to make me want
every kind of herp you describe.

This is not helpful. <g>

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Snake Whisper » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:36:45


Don't sweat it, Ben. They only come out at night, and they secrete an
anesthesic webbing that blocKs ALL sensation from the c***of the INNER
EAR!!!.

Down here in the South, we call 'em Brainscratchers!

later,
Pete
Teach someone the Golden Rule.
http://www.moonsgarden.com/

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Snake Whisper » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:33:11


Great news! Thank goodness they don't eat mice!

I've never heard a newborn spider reffered to as a nymph.

later,
Pete
Teach someone the Golden Rule.
http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Butter » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:03:29



Quote:

> http://www.kizandjenn.com/bsmithieggsac.html

> Jennifer

Anybody got a can of Raid?  But seriously.  Imagine the mess they would make
on the bottom of my shoe - Squiiiish.

**Butters

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Zetekitox » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:22:01


Quote:


> > WOOHOOO! Congrats woman! I want to see!!!!!!!

> Here ya go!

> http://www.moonsgarden.com/

> You'll also get to see them in person on Sunday, when you help me haul
> my load o' beasties to the herp meeting. :-)

> > You're going to be rich! :D

> I have no clue if that's true or not.  I haven't discussed price with my
> boss.  I'd love to get lots of money for them, but I know that there's
> no way I could put in the time required to house and feed 1,000
> spiderlings.  My bosses feed 8,000 and they have to spend hours every
> day feeding a fraction of them just to keep up!  And that's with a
> dedicated spider room, the proper equipment, and all the food right
> outside the door!

> Jennifer

Jen, what kind of incubator do you use for such tiny little creatures?
 Seems they would crawl all over the place (or can they not climb
walls?) and get out.  I'm picturing a hovabator, but that can't be
what you're using, is it?

I know nothing whatsoever about tarantulas (except that they have way
too many legs), but I'm finding myself getting e***d about the
exploits of yours (all 20 gajillion of them now).

And how often did you have to turn that eggsac?

Thanks for satisfying my morbid curiosity.

-Z

 
 
 

it's a boy, girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl, girl.....

Post by Laurie Ratclif » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:30:52



: I took my _B. smithi_ eggsac (Mexican red knee T) to work today and my
: boss and his wife opened it.  The spiderlings are perfect!!!  They
: carefully cut open the top and tiny nymphs just started spilling out.
: My boss thinks there's between 800-1,000!!  They have one molt to go
: (well, a small number have two still) before they become tiny eating
: machines and have to be separated.  They're back in the incubator but
: now they're loose and I no longer have to get up during the night and
: flip the damn thing!  Woohoo!!!

      Wow, I looked at the pictures and that is a LOT of tiny little
spiders. CUTE!!! It's amazing how much they grow (and also how long it
takes smithis to grow).

      But how on earth are you going to feed and house them all?
          -=-Laurie

--
Hey! Spam filter! Make the beasts begone to email.