looking for rack systems

Description of your first forum.

looking for rack systems

Post by Neil Tyrema » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00



I'm in the market for a good and reasonably priced rack systems for colubrids and
small boids.  Any that are good or to avoid?  Ideally a system with a built in
heat source with thermostat would be great.  The company would have to ship to
Canada.  With the Canadian dollar being low compared with the US dollar, price is
a concern.  I would appreciate any help I can get in choosing a good system.
Thanks.

Neil Tyreman

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by BADCAIM » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


    >I'm in the market for a good and reasonably priced rack systems for
colubrids

Quote:
>and
>small boids.  Any that are good or to avoid?  Ideally a system with a built
>in
>heat source with thermostat would be great.  The company would have to ship
>to
>Canada.  With the Canadian dollar being low compared with the US dollar,
>price is
>a concern.  I would appreciate any help I can get in choosing a good system.
>Thanks.

>Neil Tyreman

></PRE></HTML>

      Talk to kevin from nerds(new england reptiles) he has some realy nice
racks. very sturdy and well designed.  good luck bud
 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Brian Linds » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00


        I have been very happy with my Matrix rack systems. I use a Helix
thermostat to keep the temperature regulated.
Catriona

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Pytho » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Hey Neil,

Why not try to build one yourself?  They are not that difficult to make.  Check
out a picture of one of my housing units.  The one pictured was built out of
melamine (a laminated wood product) and is heated with flex watt heat tape with
a dimmer switch.  The cost for the materials was about $180.  I made another
similar unit out of regular partical board for only about 80.  

Jeff
http://members.aol.com/Python9/index.html

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Scott Stork » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>Why not try to build one yourself?  They are not that difficult to make.  Check
>out a picture of one of my housing units.  The one pictured was built out of
>melamine (a laminated wood product) and is heated with flex watt heat tape with
>a dimmer switch.  The cost for the materials was about $180.  I made another
>similar unit out of regular partical board for only about 80.  

Big Apple sells a pamphlet for about $5 that explains how to build a
similar rack system. I wasn't particularly impressed with their plans,
but if you want more detailed info it might be something to consider...

                                                        -- Scott

============================================================================
Scott Storkel                                   731 Loma Verde Ave.
Software Engineer                               Suite #B
Devious Software & Consulting                       Palo Alto, CA. 94303-4145
============================================================================

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Scott Stork » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>Caution--I just heard something bad about Melamine--be VERY careful to get
>formaldehyde free MDF with a plastic coating (Nevermar makes it), not standard
>melamine.  Warm temperatures can force formadehyde gas out of the melamine,
>which can cause severe damage and death to herps.

What are you building a reptile rack or an oven? Yes, melamine contains
formaldehyde. Yes, formaldehyde is a Class 1 carcinogen. Yes, formaldehyde
can be released if the temperature gets high enough. Still, the furniture
industry sells millions of board-feet of formaldehyde bookshelves, desks,
and beds to unsuspecting consumers. Do you really think it's unsafe? The
same temperatures which are likely to cause the release of large amounts
formaldehyde are also likely to kill any reptiles living in a melamine
enclosure, IMHO.

I've *never* heard any first-hand reports of herps suffering damage from
living in a *well-ventilated* melamine enclosure. If you've got facts, I
would LOVE to hear them!!!

                                                        -- Scott

============================================================================
Scott Storkel                                   731 Loma Verde Ave.
Software Engineer                               Suite #B
Devious Software & Consulting                       Palo Alto, CA. 94303-4145
============================================================================

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by WngdWolf » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
Storkel) writes:
>>Caution--I just heard something bad about Melamine--be VERY careful to get
>>formaldehyde free MDF with a plastic coating (Nevermar makes it), not
>standard
>>melamine.  Warm temperatures can force formadehyde gas out of the melamine,
>>which can cause severe damage and death to herps.

>What are you building a reptile rack or an oven? Yes, melamine contains
>formaldehyde. Yes, formaldehyde is a Class 1 carcinogen. Yes, formaldehyde
>can be released if the temperature gets high enough. Still, the furniture
>industry sells millions of board-feet of formaldehyde bookshelves, desks,
>and beds to unsuspecting consumers. Do you really think it's unsafe? The
>same temperatures which are likely to cause the release of large amounts
>formaldehyde are also likely to kill any reptiles living in a melamine
>enclosure, IMHO.

No, actually, 85 to 90 degree temps can cause significant amounts of
formaldehyde to be released.  That's a basking area, for some species.

--Winged Wolf
the were/psion

Psion Guild
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4514/

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Scott Stork » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>No, actually, 85 to 90 degree temps can cause significant amounts of
>formaldehyde to be released.  That's a basking area, for some species.

Nice theory. Unfortunately, I don't believe it and you haven't
offered any facts to back it up! Do you have any, or are you just
blowing smoke? The fact that I know several long-time breeders
who use (standard) melamine racks and several companies that sell
(standard) melamine enclosures, makes me think that you don't know
what you're talking about.

If you've got *concrete* data, or *first-hand* information from respected,
breeders about the dangers of melamine, post it! If not, you should admit
that you're just speculating (or reading somebody's sales brochure, perhaps?)
without any facts to back you up.

Just trying to get to the bottom of things... I'm in the market for
some new cages, but so far you haven't convinced me of the evils of
melamine.

                                                        -- Scott

============================================================================
Scott Storkel                                   731 Loma Verde Ave.
Software Engineer                               Suite #B
Devious Software & Consulting                       Palo Alto, CA. 94303-4145
============================================================================

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Tom Archdeaco » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00


My kitchen counter has been made of melamine for the last 19 years, and
I seem pretty healthy.

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Brian Linds » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00


        I have used melemine rack systems for my reptiles for almost
4 years now and have never had a problem.
Catriona

 
 
 

looking for rack systems

Post by Kevi » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>         I have used melemine rack systems for my reptiles for almost
> 4 years now and have never had a problem.
> Catriona

Freedom breeders makes awesome rack systems, modular, last forever and
you never think I could of done better!!!! 510 838 2331 Lindy

Kevin NERD