Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Description of your first forum.

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Uadji » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:08:34



Did anyone see the game show "Fear Factor" last evening? (Monday) One of the
"challenges" was for the contestants to lie, strapped down in a tub with 24
snakes crawling over their faces.

They used the same snakes for each contestant. These included a few large
constrictors which were carefully handled and a -bucket- of small colubrids
which were dumped over the contestant's body. For each person they grabbed
the smaller snakes and threw them back into the bucket only to dump them out
for the next round.

I was irritated by this for a number of reasons:

a) poor and careless handling in general
b) Lampropeltis species tend to eat each other snakes (these snakes were
probably recently fed, and ***ism is unlikely but a responsible keeper
can never be to careful.)
c) Communicable diseases which may be spread throughout the collection
d) Ignorance of the possibility of salmonellosis (the snakes were allowed to
crawl over their mouths which is a no-no.)
e) Re-enforcing the idea that snakes are "really scary".

The only positive things I could take away from this segment were:

 Not single snake bit one of the contestants even though they had been
seriously harassed so rational viewers should understand that snakes are not
"vicious creatures."

The contestants were strapped down, preventing them from inadvertently or
intentionally harming the animals out of fear.

Just found it rather ugly and I felt I had to share.

Uadjit

--
___________________________
-- A phobia is a *** backwards --

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Penm » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:31:06


Quote:
>Subject: Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

>Date: 9/4/01 6:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>Did anyone see the game show "Fear Factor" last evening? (Monday) One of the
>"challenges" was for the contestants to lie, strapped down in a tub with 24
>snakes crawling over their faces.

>I was irritated by this for a number of reasons:

>c) Communicable diseases which may be spread throughout the collection
>d) Ignorance of the possibility of salmonellosis (the snakes were allowed to
>crawl over their mouths which is a no-no.)

Well, then you would have been absolutely mortified at the "challenge" three
other contestants went through on this past weekend's program: eating...not
just swallowing, but CHEWING... five earthworms and one superworm at the same
time. They all three made it by the way, but two of them almost heaved chunks
while doing it. Hilarious! ;c)

MRLMMD:

Marty Oberman, Jr.

"There is no spoon..."

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Uadji » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:01:43


Quote:

> Well, then you would have been absolutely mortified at the "challenge"
three
> other contestants went through on this past weekend's program:
eating...not
> just swallowing, but CHEWING... five earthworms and one superworm at the
same
> time. They all three made it by the way, but two of them almost heaved
chunks
> while doing it. Hilarious! ;c)

Well, I missed that but I did happen to see the Survivor II episode where
they had a "challenge" to eat various and sundry inverts and other things
from the Outback. I seem to remember that one of the women actually did lose
her grubby lunch. So silly.

Quote:
> MRLMMD:

Is this an acronym? What's it mean? :p

Uadjit

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by -=[warthog]= » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:42:34



Quote:
> Did anyone see the game show "Fear Factor" last evening? (Monday) One of
the
> "challenges" was for the contestants to lie, strapped down in a tub with
24
> snakes crawling over their faces.

[snip]

Lighten up.  Go join PETA or something.

--

Reverend Christian J Hedemark II
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by knitsa.. » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:22:24


Hmmm....Well first off I have NEVER heard of a salmonella case caused
from a snake, and as far as I know. It's only a real threat from the
egg laying species, sutch as pythons ( didn't watch so I don't know.)
Also, I would like to state the fact that I was at the North Carolina
show and I must say. One guy sexed a few Ball's for me and he TRULY
worried me how ruff he was, I mean jeeze there is no way seeing that
anyone could think snakes are aggressive and out to get you, I really
do hope people bought these poor babies. Also I did happen to buy a
Ball at the show [so cute, he's a male named zeuse =) ] And I was
noticing how those plastic containers that most the animals were in
vibrated RREEAAALLLY badly, if you talked you felt it trembling
through it, it was really astonishing in a way. Seen Chameleons being
ruffly handled the hole nine yards (they seemed content and happy
though?) Also seen a girl must have been one of the breeders children,
the plastic circle thingy hadda *** band around it, and she
stretched it let it go (you know what i mean right?) and just over and
over. It's interesting how some people treat snakes. One reason I
prefer getting babies. Which I have had a few adopted pets from which
were not tooken care of at all, and come out JUST FINE. Oh well time
for bed. Just a few thoughts of mine.
 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Chris McMarti » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 12:33:56



Quote:
> Hmmm....Well first off I have NEVER heard of a salmonella case caused
> from a snake, and as far as I know. It's only a real threat from the
> egg laying species, sutch as pythons ( didn't watch so I don't know.)

What's your reference for this?  ALL reptiles are potential carriers of
salmonella, much like the chicken I ate tonight.

Quote:
> Ball at the show [so cute, he's a male named zeuse =) ] And I was

Is he named after the Greek god Zeus, or is there a zeuse of whom I'm
unaware?  ;)

Chris
--
http://www.mcmartinville.com
Last Update 28 April 2001!!!

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by knitsa.. » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:41:14


eheh...typo?
In reference. The most salmonella carrying reptiles comes from turtles
and tortoises, egg or live bearing, egg laying has more salmonella. So
if you get it from a snake like that, then your MOST LIKELY, i dont
know, very unlucky.
 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Snake Whisper » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:38:22


There are 2700 different strains of salmonella. Only a few strains have
the potential to cause harm to those that have a compromised immune
system. Young children, elderly, transplant patients, hiv positive, etc.

later, Pete

Learn, and Teach The Children.

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/REPTILEPARTIES

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Beverly Erlebach » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 04:28:39



Quote:

>There are 2700 different strains of salmonella. Only a few strains have
>the potential to cause harm to those that have a compromised immune
>system. Young children, elderly, transplant patients, hiv positive, etc.

But even ordinary healthy people can have a day or two of vomiting,
severe diarrhea, and general extreme unpleasantness if they pick up
an appropriate strain (like we did from some seafood in a restaurant
a few years ago).
 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Rowanwood OwlCa » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 04:43:04


Jerk.

RW


Quote:


> > Did anyone see the game show "Fear Factor" last evening? (Monday) One of
> the
> > "challenges" was for the contestants to lie, strapped down in a tub with
> 24
> > snakes crawling over their faces.
> [snip]

> Lighten up.  Go join PETA or something.

> --

> Reverend Christian J Hedemark II
> Hillsborough, NC
> http://yonderway.com

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Penm » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 09:24:56


Quote:
>Subject: Re: Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

>Date: 9/4/01 9:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>> MRLMMD:

>Is this an acronym? What's it mean? :p

>Uadjit

Yes, it's kinda silly really. I'm a "member" of a loosely knit "club" on
another newsgroup: The Rama Lamas. The acronym stands for: Muhammad Rama Lama
Meik Mai Dei.  ;c)

MRLMMD:

Marty Oberman, Jr.

"There is no spoon..."

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Chris Brow » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 09:13:07



Quote:



>>There are 2700 different strains of salmonella. Only a few strains have
>>the potential to cause harm to those that have a compromised immune
>>system. Young children, elderly, transplant patients, hiv positive, etc.

>But even ordinary healthy people can have a day or two of vomiting,
>severe diarrhea, and general extreme unpleasantness if they pick up
>an appropriate strain (like we did from some seafood in a restaurant
>a few years ago).

A few years ago, as a normally healthy 25ish year old, I got
salmonella from inproperly prepared chicken. It wasn't an experience I
want to repeat.

Later that year I contracted influenza, presumably from another
human. That was far, far worse. The most significant difference for me
was that, unpleasant as salmonella was, I never felt it could kill
me. Influenza, on the other hand, did a superb job of reminding me of
my own mortality, and you can catch that from shaking someone's hand.

Given that, I find it difficult to be too worried about my two pet
snakes in this regard. I do, after all, have soap in my bathroom.

--
/*  _  */main(int k,char**n){char*i=k&1?"+L*;99,RU[,RUo+BeKAA+BECACJ+CAACA"
/* / ` */"CD+LBCACJ*":1[n],j,l=!k,m;do for(m=*i-48,j=l?m/k:m%k;m>>7?k=1<<m+
/* |   */8,!l&&puts(&l)**&l:j--;printf("  \0_/"+l));while((l^=3)||l[++i]);
/* \_,hris Brown -- All opinions expressed are probably wrong. */return 0;}

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by WildTropi » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:56:42


Quote:
>>Did anyone see the game show "Fear Factor" last evening? (Monday) One of the
>>"challenges" was for the contestants to lie, strapped down in a tub with 24
>>snakes crawling over their faces.

It was no big deal. The funniest part was when the albino burmese was
identified as a "big boa". None of the snakes were mistreated, so you nervous
animal rights folks can get off your high horse.
 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by knitsa.. » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 06:48:12


HHmmm....thats pretty interesting Chris. Doesn't sound to nice. I was
wondering how "safe" should you actually be with your<<<meaning
whomever>>>,  snake? I see people going around with there huge ones on
there necks arms shoulders wrists etc. and I remember when you never
ever did hear of a reptile giving you any virus/disease I kissed my
snake on its head...???? The one guy has a point. People were/are
afraid of ecoli, well theres many many strands of ecoli, never knew it
was the same for salmonella but it does make sence (don't know what
"sence" i should use there...eheh.)I would like to know the statistics
on salmonella, how many people contract it from fish/eggs/chicken how
many from turtles/tortoises/snakes/lizards/frogs etc. And yes it would
be lovely to find out witch reptile contributes the most and by how
many. I also am aware that turtles and tortoises are the major one but
that could be by one case maybe???? any help on that would be pretty
neat to know. Thank you.
Quote:
> >But even ordinary healthy people can have a day or two of vomiting,
> >severe diarrhea, and general extreme unpleasantness if they pick up
> >an appropriate strain (like we did from some seafood in a restaurant
> >a few years ago).

> A few years ago, as a normally healthy 25ish year old, I got
> salmonella from inproperly prepared chicken. It wasn't an experience I
> want to repeat.

> Later that year I contracted influenza, presumably from another
> human. That was far, far worse. The most significant difference for me
> was that, unpleasant as salmonella was, I never felt it could kill
> me. Influenza, on the other hand, did a superb job of reminding me of
> my own mortality, and you can catch that from shaking someone's hand.

> Given that, I find it difficult to be too worried about my two pet
> snakes in this regard. I do, after all, have soap in my bathroom.

 
 
 

Fear Factor - Mistreatment of snakes for TV program?

Post by Uadji » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:41:59


Quote:

>I would like to know the statistics
> on salmonella, how many people contract it from fish/eggs/chicken how
> many from turtles/tortoises/snakes/lizards/frogs etc. And yes it would
> be lovely to find out witch reptile contributes the most and by how
> many. I also am aware that turtles and tortoises are the major one but
> that could be by one case maybe???? any help on that would be pretty
> neat to know. Thank you.

Well, not exactly what you were asking for but I did find this CDC article
from November of 1999 on the subject of reptile-associated Salmonellosis:

http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4844a1.htm

Uadjit